Game Development and Animations Video Blog

The Lilo-log #18: Are Loot Boxes Gambling? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Welcome to Lilo’s Log where Saljack Enterprises Lets Review team member Lilo Nash discusses gaming news/events from all over the world.

In this video, Lilo discusses Are Loot Boxes Gambling? Lilo’s topic next week, Monday, will be Awesome Recent Anime.

Congratulations to the winners of this weeks competition and stay tuned for a brand new competition with a larger cash prize starting Monday next week!

We hope you enjoy and please like and subscribe to see more videos from Lilo Nash!

Lilo_Nash_signature

20 thoughts on “The Lilo-log #18: Are Loot Boxes Gambling?

1. alexsummers123 says:

Player perspective plays a huge part in this unless you are dealing with kids. Mostly however with these games you are not so it is safer to a degree. Whether or not it is gambling will really depend on a gamers point of view.

2. vannie says:

Loot boxes, some sort of gambling? Well, its a complicated issue and it depends on every player’s perception.

3. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

I havent played star wars but I read reviews about it like this one. I agree though at times the brain does not notice the wrong or right of things which happens frequently in cases like this. Good post Nash.

4. I don’t think loot boxes are gambling like some of our friends told gambling needs certain strategies and tricks to win the prize but in the case of loot boxes we will pay cash for the prize inside it and we are not even aware of the prize inside. This is my personal opinion and really thanks for the video Lilo because you covered the rules and regulations followed in different countries regarding the loot boxes. I learned something new today. Great video. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

5. In my opinion, loot boxes are -in a sense, gambling for sure. But they don’t affect people or give them the same addiction as actual gambling.

6. You won’t need a strategy on loot boxes unlike in pure gambling where you have to. Of course you won’t know what you’ll get but, that’s life. We don’t know what the future holds, right?

7. Nah, I don’t consider loot boxer as gambling. You don’t know what awaits inside, but still, you can get something and that is something you’ll be assured about.

8. Opondo says:

Its difficult to categorize loot boxes as pure gambling, after all to live and to die is a gamble .But honestly, you get something eventually, may not be what you expected, but something all the same.

9. charlesxavier123 says:

I understand this I really do but how will this be controlled? How do we define legit add ons from just turning a game into a cash cow? To me if transactions like this impede the playability of a game then that is a no no.

10. psylockexmen2012 says:

It is but indirectly. I understand it though because having an additional jab to have money is not bad. Just do not blow it out of proportion.

11. David Kamau says:

Loot boxes is not fully gambling, but, it’s somehow gambling. In my view, it’s just a method by developers and publishers of games to get cash in a more enticing way.

12. Edwin Kamau says:

I can’t well say loot boxes is gambling. After all, you will get something at last.

13. edg4r32 says:

It looks like gambling and it feels like gambling… it has to be gambling, no doubt. There’s no way it’d be like a veggie burger where it looks and tastes like burger but it’s not essentially.

I honestly haven’t thought of loot boxes as gambling before. But now that you mentioned it– yes, they look like another form of gambling. :-s

15. micorobin says:

I am leaning more towards YES because it has gambling mechanics ala casino. I mean you pay for chips in this case loots but instead of having money you will have an item. However, it greatly differs from betting real cash.

16. I love how people coin this as ” LOW KEY GAMBLING”. In my opinion it is not because no matter how grand loot boxes are. It still remains just a game and will remain as that.

1. coyleon says:

I absolutely disagree with you. Most games these days don’t “remain just a game”. To get loot boxes, you have to pay real cash and in so many games I know, the amount can easily add up to ridiculous figures over the course of the game. Loot boxes shouldn’t be shrugged like they’re a trivial matter

17. I never understood how loot boxes regulations worked. But now I know it’s all about the different laws in different countries… which makes sense! But then again, I don’t think they should be considered as “gambling”.

18. I think loot boxes are low key gambling but it’s not as bad as gambling real money in a casino. Great vlog for this with the meme’s though! I loved that extra addition. Made me laugh- especially about Why there’s no gambling in Africa! :)) Won’t say the answer not to spoil for others.

19. mchesk16 says:

If you get a prize no matter what, I don’t think it needs to be regulated. Kids gamble all the time with Pokemon cards and other things of value. I agree that games with loot boxes should be rated mature, but past that I don’t think they pose much of a danger.