Lilo's Lair #72: Will Micro Transactions Ruin Gaming? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

top_tech_border. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment.

Ah, the topic of microtransactions. First, let me tell you precisely what microtransactions are. They are found in most free-to-play games and no doubt almost all of us have run across them at this point. It’s when the game is probably overall free, but then offers things you can buy in the game. Almost all phone games use this business model. You can purchase extra lives or in-game money.

However, it’s not just in phone games. It has also moved into other games, non-mobile games. I used to play this game a while back called Phantasy Star Universe. It is an MMO and had a monthly fee to play. Everyone paid the flat monthly fee, and that is where the paying stopped. When the next game in the series came out (Phantasy Star Online 2), it was free-to-play. I tried playing it since I loved the series so much. Though it was free-to-play, you still had to pay for certain aspects of the game. There was a whole series of little things that cost money. I didn’t want to start making choices on what to pay. I just felt uncomfortable about it so spent nothing. After only a couple times of playing, I realized there was a big difference between me and those willing to pay whatever in game. They had better characters, had more money, were having an overall fuller experience. It sucked.

IMAGE FROM  PRACTICAL MONEY MASTERY

Microtransactions are becoming more and more prevalent in games. GTA is apparently now planning to have microtransactions in every game going forward. It’s because it makes them more money, plain and simple. That means you’ll spend money to buy the game, and then also be given buying options in the game. Gone are the days where you pay once for a game.

Have you ever paid for something in a game? Perhaps Candy Crush or some other phone game? Probably, because a ton of us have. I’ve even recently paid for some extra things in Battle of Polytopia (a new tribe to play as). You know what? I don’t really mind paying for some stuff in phone games. Especially when the majority of the game is free and single player. However, I strongly dislike multiplayer games with microtransactions, especially non-mobile games.

There are two ways to go about offering content for players to buy. One is the older way, where the developers come out with new content to keep the game alive. New maps in Halo is what I think of when it comes to this. The second way is to squeeze every possible profit out of people as possible.

One reason why companies want to increase their profit is that game prices have topped out at $60 and have been for a while. Companies don’t believe most people would be willing to pay more than this for a game. However, the cost to make games has continued to go up. You can’t blame a company for wanting to actually make money. However, this is a slippery slope. Companies decide they can make more and more through microtransactions and DLC (downloadable content). They even go so far as to take parts of the game that was initially part of it and hide it behind a paywall. This is typical of “season’s passes.” Paying to have access to the entire game.

IMAGE FROM YOUTUBE

This all leads to the same feeling I got with my MMO Phantasy Star 2. I felt like I was playing a demo really. It felt like an incomplete game unless I was willing to continually be making purchases in the game. It’s not just the feeling that a game is unfinished unless you are ready to pay more. It’s also that each players experience becomes uneven. Some people are willing to pay more than others.

3.png

IMAGE FROM HARDCORE GAMER

I should also bring up loot boxes. This is a special type of in-game purchase because it’s a gamble. You pay for a collection of random, unknown items in hopes of getting specific (rare) items. Overwatch makes use of loot boxes, however, what makes it okay is what they include in their loot boxes. It’s things that are cosmetic, instead of gameplay altering items. Which frees it from the “play to win” category. The problem with loot boxes in other games is the theory developers are making games harder and more frustrating, as a way to encourage the purchase of loot boxes. As if it wasn’t already bad enough they make you spend money on a gamble for the item you want.

4.png

IMAGE FROM DUALSHOCKERS

Star Wars: Battlefront II is a game people like to talk about when it comes to microtransactions, DLC, and loot boxes. This upcoming game will have loot boxes with non-cosmetic items. Also, people have already been accusing the developers of removing parts of the original game to later offer it as DLC you have to pay for. However, the company has now promised that all future DLC will be free, as far as new characters and maps. Something to appease those of us salty about the prospect of loot boxes. However, it appears this promise was just something said to try and quiet the complaints. That is because those playing the newest beta can see the enormous imbalance of gameplay between paying for and not paying for loot boxes.

Personally, I hate most free-to-play games. However, I can appreciate that it’s a business model that works and is likely to be here for a long time. My remaining issue though, is how far is this going to be pushed? It makes me frustrated that some companies are changing the game to better benefit microtransactions, loot boxes, and DLC.

Click here to read Lilo Nash’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, ITS STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Lilo_Nash_signature

19 thoughts on “Lilo’s Lair #72: Will Micro Transactions Ruin Gaming?

1. miakayuuki2012 says:

I am not a fan of these additional pay for stuff that should be already in the game. I understand though that it is just business.

2. micorobin says:

I understand the reason for this because like it or not it is a BUSINESS strategy. However, personally I am not a fan of it. I expect when I purchase a game it is already complete not in bits and pieces.

3. Micro transaction has its own benefits and down side. It will make gaming more expensive but, it will also add more thrill and options.

4. I don’t think that micro transactions ruin gaming. That’s part of the game plus it also help game developers earn more.

5. moondebi says:

This a good tactics to attract more and more people to play the game. Though free to play, there’ll be hidden cost. But then, it is a business and the owners would definitely try to earn from it.

6. Opondo says:

Micro transaction definitely weeds out the game addicts from the easy bored gang with little or no interest in the gaming world. Companies cannot be blamed for capitalizing on their addicted fanatics, its just being business savvy.

7. Yeah, I feel you. There should be some sort of matching when playing with other players who pay and don’t pay just to make things fair. It is so demotivating to keep getting beat by someone who pays their way to play.

8. Joy says:

Micro transactions have their pros and cons. Purchasing the extra benefits brings a whole level of fun in playing a game. However, it totally sucks at times when you regularly require the extra boost on sale but it is constantly over priced.

9. wolfbro says:

It can be used as a sale tactic to get more buyers, but in the end it is draining the cash from the gamers. And it is not fair at all for them, and us.

10. They better make sure they don’t spoil Star Wars BattleFront at all with their schemes on the DLCs and such. My boyfriend absolutely loves the series and has been waiting for the game for some time already, so I hope he won’t be disappointed.

11. miabatoy says:

I get that game developers needs to make enough money for the games they produced.I am with them on that side, but I just wish that they also play fair with the gamers or downloaders who’s willing to pay for such content.

12. haroldmac says:

I think if they push microtransactions so far then gaming will be ruined.They wanted to earn decent money then give the players a decent and fair-play also with their in-app purchases and dlc.

13. roberachi says:

Thanks Lilo for talking about this topic I have been having the same issue with the current games I have, at times I even don’t end up finishing the game. I agree with you on the part that developers make the game so difficult for you unless you purchase additional ammunition or weapon packs. Just ends up making the game suck.

14. lordyou says:

Every business model has to increase its revenue and every gamer has to explore their potential in each game. Personally to me I don’t prefer it but the future is here and we’ll have to embrace every development that comes with it.

15. David Kamau says:

As a developer, you need the extra cash. I dont blame them, sometimes you have to use all the tactics to earn that cash.

16. Edwin Kamau says:

Micro Transactions in games is a good thing to earn cash for the owner. But at some point, it sucks for the gamer. It is a 50/50 thing, a gain for one and a lose for another. Actually this transactions ruin gaming.

17. I admit that sometimes I get irritated because I need to pay an additional fee but, sometimes it’s a positive thing. Paying for something makes your character more unique, powerful, and stronger compare to others who doesn’t pay.

18. numberpardox says:

Micro transactions doesn’t completely ruin the game it just gives a person to fall on either advantage or disadvantage depending on one’s capacity to pull out money.

19. mchesk16 says:

It’s a very frustrating system. At the very least, it could lead to a better gaming experience, assuming the developers want to create better games, but the low-price novelty is now gone.