Lilo's Lair #67: Singleplayer versus Multiplayer. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

top_tech_border. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment.

Which is better?! No, no not which is better because they are both great in their own ways. What I want to talk about is the differences between the two! In regards to what each offer, what personality traits factor into enjoying which one, and fun stuff like that!

What does a singleplayer offer that multiplayer might not? It offers you the ability to play alone, haha. Really though, that is a big thing because it means playing at your own precise pace. You play when you want, and you play when your friends aren’t available. It also offers the ability to play games if you are not interested in socialization.

Another big thing singleplayer offer is a more in-depth storyline. Even if you can play through the storyline mode in co-op, playing it on your own connects you to the story more. The story is essentially your only friend at the moment. You are freed up to really connect with the characters and the world.

IMAGE FROM NZ GAMER

Multiplayer offers you socialization, of course. Which means competition. That is a pretty thrilling thing. It also brings the potential for new friendships. Back in the day, I formed some strong bonds over the MMORPG Phantasy Star Universe (yes, I’m a Phantasy Star nerd). I played hundreds of hours with my crew, working through areas to level up our characters and get sweet item drops. I was a magic user and did a lot of the healing. Jeez, now I really want to play some Phantasy Star, but those jerks didn’t even release the last one in North America.

Multiplayer can also offer fun bonding with friends you already have. Lan parties are an especially fond memory of mine. Can you see where I’m going with this? I love multiplayer. That is probably because of my personality.

IMAGE FROM THE CHEAT SHEET

You see, I’m more inclined to the fast-paced, easily distracted school of thought. I need a constant push to stay interested. Whether that is exciting competition or proper old socialization. I’ve played my fair share of singleplayer, but I clock a whole lot fewer hours in singleplayer than multiplayer in life so far.

What kind of personality features might draw someone to singleplayer then? I don’t know. No, I’m just kidding. I mentioned above that some people just do not want to socialize. They are not social creatures in life or in games. Totally okay, and that makes singleplayer remarkable for them. Perhaps it’s not even about being social, maybe you think playing with others takes away from a game–makes it watered down.

Another trait that will draw people to singleplayer is pretty much being the opposite of me. That is someone who can and will spend all the hours in singleplayer, immersing themselves in it and working through the entire thing (or a good chunk at least). Their mind appreciates depth above quick thrills.

Overall single players offer immersion/depth, while multiplayer offer thrill. I think that is a great boiled down core difference of the two.

IMAGE FROM WE KNOW MEMES

However, personality isn’t the only factor when it comes to which game you play more. Life situation is a big thing. I find that the more responsibilities a person has, the harder multiplayer are to enjoy. That’s because it’s hard to compete skill wise when you are spending a lot less time on the game. It’s also hard to build a crew to romp with. Which may mean always playing with randoms. It may not even be about not having the time, but that a multiplayer may make you spend more time playing than you wanted. They can be sort of addicting and you can start ignoring other stuff.

Though, I can see the argument the other way around too. That having more responsibilities means not having the time to work through the storyline. That multiplayer are easy to play and enjoy in small chunks.

These days I have switched over to singleplayer. I know I made more for multiplayer, but it’s super addicting to me, and I need to put some of my time into other parts of my life more. Also, I’m tired of needing others to have a good time in a game. I’m a reformed multiplayer addict turned to singleplayer–haha.

IMAGE FROM WINGMAN MAGAZINE

Now, I don’t think everyone is an all or nothing person. Though, I do believe there are preferences. Do you know which kind of gamer you are? It really all comes down to hours played in which mode in my opinion. Have you spent more time playing singleplayer or multiplayer in your life? Although, maybe you are someone who does both evenly. I know there are gamers out there like that!

Like I said, I’m a multiplayer gamer at heart. Rounding corners to shotgun other players in the gut over and over in a match is absolutely exhilarating to me. As is playing long hours with a group of friends, fighting rooms of monsters and laughing away in conversation. However, these days I’m all about singleplayer because it just fits with my life right now.

Click here to read Lilo Nash’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, ITS STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Lilo_Nash_signature

15 thoughts on “Lilo’s Lair #67: Singleplayer versus Multiplayer

1. I like multiplayer games because I like being able to play with friends. However, there are some games just good for single player mode. You can’t blame the game for not offering multiplayer if the gameplay is truly better and adds depth to the game if its just in single player.

2. gayanag says:

I have not tried multiplayer mode till now. I believe multiplayer mode is more challenging and may build pressure. So, I only play in single player mode. Who knows? It may change in future.

3. miakayuuki2012 says:

I pick multi player due to the more the merrier. Let us face it it is boring to play by yourself all the time.

4. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

Why choose if I can enjoy both? Yes I like both dynamics as long as my internet holds out because connection is slow here.

5. Chatingale says:

With single player mode, you don’t have anyone to banter but yourself. But this is not as exciting as having other players compete with you.

I remember liking multiplayer as a kid but single player as an adult. Maybe because the games I play become more in depth as I get older? Also, I do remember some single player games that I played with my siblings; we keep rotating who’s going to control the characters. So there’s socialization in single player games, too.

7. miabatoy says:

I agree when you say that when you play as a single player you get to connect to the storyline more.And that’s just when i enjoy some me time you know when nobody’s around i can still get to enjoy my favorite game by myself.

8. haroldmac says:

I more of a multiplayer guy.I love competition and winning! Especially you get to make memories with your loved ones or closed friends,Good article!

9. Alma May says:

I like to play with an associate and I find it more enjoyable. While single player on the other hand is advisable to those who want to focus on their games.

10. charleenmae says:

But nothing beats the fun of a multiplayer. Especially when you’re about to beat your friends! Haha ooh the thrill is just lovely.

11. Judy-ann says:

Singleplayer is cool when you want to play alone or you want to play with computer player. But I really think multiplayer is more fun. It is not just fun but entertaining as well. You can team up with friends and buddies so that way it won’t be boring.

12. saviourv says:

Certain games shine a bit more in the multiplayer department, while others are more a single-player experience. But with regards about what you said about single-player games offering more depth and multi-player games offering more thrills. I’d say that if done correctly, multi-player games could provide a certain degree of depth as well.

Just tossing out the question here: has there been at least one multi-player game (regardless of genre) that involves all its players as a team, and yet, manages to provide a rich narrative as well. I’d almost think that a MMORPG could provide that in terms of a dungeon which provides different puzzles (to different character classes) to unlock a mystery, catered to certain character types, but I could be wrong.

I mean, now that split-screen gaming almost seems to be a thing of the past, you don’t really get to see what the other player(s) are seeing, in the games we play these days. Although it might be nice to be able to see what the other players are looking at, during certain times, I guess.

And with regards to my own preference, although I’m generally a single-player kind of person, I do enjoy the occasional multi-player run. And if there’s a game I would want to play with a friend after so long, it would be Gunstar Heroes (for the Sega Genesis) on Expert Mode.

Might be quite fun.

13. Reese says:

Multiplayer games are very fun! You get to spend time with your friends and enjoy the games together!

14. roberachi says:

Hmmm I must agree it’s rather hard to choose because I have also personally enjoyed both. To me single player is more enjoyable as you get to follow the story mode of the game but for multi-player mostly is about the competition in the virtual world of the game.

15. David Kamau says:

The single player games are comfortable for those who need to just concentrate by their selves. For guys like me, I barely play single player games. I like competition, get nervous and angry. That is what I look in a game. A game that will change how am feeling.