Lilo's Lair #53: World's First Giant Robot Fight! Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hey everybody! My week has been long! I’m looking forward to a weekend of big breakfasts, reading, and gaming. Heavy on the relaxation and light on work. I know I usually reserve the end of the week for gaming deals, but I’m too excited about giant robot fights to not share it!

However, if you are looking for a deal, a good one going on right now is over at Humble Bundle. They are running an “Endless RPG Lands” deal that includes all the Borderlands games. This is their “pay what you want” deal, where they give you a minimum to stay above. The first Borderlands game can be bought for $1, the second can be purchased for a little over $5, and the third you need to pay at least $10. This deal is running into next week.

Image result for borderlands

IMAGE FROM STEAM

Another deal this weekend is Steam’s weekend deals. It is Deep Silver Publisher Weekend. There are a lot of sweet games 50% off or more. They have the Saints Row Ultimate Franchise Pack for 66% off, Agents of Mayhem is 66% off, Metro Redux is 81% off, and more. This deal is running only through the weekend so don’t waste too much time before checking it out.

IMAGE FROM STEAM

Now that you know about the deals this weekend let me get onto the huge robot battle. You guys, this is the world’s first giant robot fight! The first thing that popped into my mind was Real Steel. That’s a movie that came out a few years back starring Hugh Jackman. It’s set in the future where robot boxing is a prevalent sport. Seems that future is coming to visit us next week. October 17th at 7PM Pacific Standard Time. That is when the huge robot battle is streaming on Twitch. What’s super exciting about this match is it’s the USA versus Japan!!

Image result for Suidobashi

IMAGE FROM  BIGLOBE

Notice how I keep saying giant robots? That is because these guys are indeed GIANT. The USA is their Mark III bot and is 16 feet tall and weighs 12 tons. Check out the USA robot:

The Japanese robot, Kuratas, is 4 tons and is a little over 13 feet tall. This robot was deemed “the world’s first giant boarding robot.” Here is a short video about Kuratas:

This battle of the metal heavyweights has been in the works for years. Back in July 2015, USA Megabots Inc challenged Japanese SudioBashi to take their robots head to head. The Japanese were more than happy to accept the challenge. Then what took so long? First, the issue was finding a venue. I guess it’s not too easy to find a place for a giant robot battle. Eventually, they did find a place in an abandoned Japanese steel mill. The next hold up was each group upgrading their bots for battle. Finally, the wait is over!

As a heads up, this battle has already taken place. This will not be a live stream. The battle was back in September and took place over several days. There were multiple rounds and so they needed the time to edit the footage together.

The real question is, how much can these robots actually do? It’s nice to fantasize about some futuristic robot battle that’s fast-paced with massive explosions. However, that is indeed a fantasy for now. Which makes most of us feel like the show is a bit anti-climatic, probably. These days you’re unsure if the robot battle is going to involve a bunch of nothing and moments of robots not working at all because of malfunctions.

I think it’s important to go into robot battles with some knowledge on what you should expect. Anyone hear of the show Robot Wars? It’s a television show that shows robots battling one another in an arena to take each other out. It’s a great place to start for what you can expect from this battle. Although keep in mind there will be a lot of differences only because of the size. There is also a similar American version of this show called BattleBots, that was less successful and eventually canceled.

Below is a video highlighting a few of the top battles from last years season of Robot Wars:

The battle on Tuesday with the giant robots will indeed be a real fight. It’s going to be knockout style, much the same as Robot Wars. This really surprised me! I thought for sure these companies would not want to try to purposely damage their expensive giant robots. I imagine since it will be a knockout fight that these robots will be operated by remote controllers instead of being manned from the inside like the videos I posted above.

What will likely be different from Robot Wars is that these massive monster robots aren’t as fast or mobile. Which is worrisome from someone wanting something more action-packed. What I’m saying is don’t expect Pacific Rim by a long shot.

I definitely plan on tuning in. To be honest, I’m not expecting something fast paced or even action-packed. Though I am really curious to see how far battling robots have come, especially these onboard piloted mechs. It brings to mind so many anime and mech video games. Though, for something more futuristic we’ll have to keep waiting till March 23rd when Pacific Rim: Uprising comes out.

Click here to read Lilo Nash’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, ITS STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Lilo_Nash_signature

28 thoughts on “Lilo’s Lair #53: World’s First Giant Robot Fight!

1. Interested into trying out the first borderlands for $1 first before I start investing with more money into it. This helps because I’m not investing a lot of money into a game I might not like if I find out I don’t like the first borderlands. 🙂

2. valine13 says:

Woah they really are super huge! This is cool i must say.

3. darkkvader says:

Didnt know they really exist! Of course theyre made but technology has its grip in it so much!

4. Woah! Those giant robots are so stunning. I really enjoyed watching that America’s Fighting Robot. That’s so cool!

5. miakayuuki2012 says:

I want a full size GUNDAM. Anyway it reminds me of the show that Chris Jericho is hosting. I forgot the title though.

6. micorobin says:

Reminds me of the ROBOT WARS movie back then. Do anyone even remember it? IT was on the 80’s if I am correct.

7. Abby says:

I am excited for the robot match! I hope it would be a very entertaining one!

8. Robot Wars are amazing to watch. The graphics, music all comes together well. USA VS. Japan? Definitely, I’m voting for Japan because they are the originals.

9. Edward Rose says:

Great post. Thank you for the post.

10. charlesxavier123 says:

It looks along the signs of an exo suit. THat is a real tech in development. I wish to get one.

11. psylockexmen2012 says:

If an exo suit is in development. It can help people with disabilities such as the spine injuries.

12. wolfbro says:

Now this is something definitely worth my while. But I will be rooting for Megabots of course. Nice article though, great job!

13. I love watching Robot Wars! It is so fun and funny, I can literally watch the show for hours if you give me the chance. Would recommend others to watch it too!

14. Grecy Garcia says:

I love all the robots. Yes, I remember the Reel Steel and love to have to watch a real robot that is having a showdown. I wonder where can I see the actual showdown.

15. titanierza says:

In the far future I would not be surprise to see androids with this rate of progress. Where is my LIFE SIZE Gundam lol.

16. alexsummers123 says:

Dude there is already a life size GUNDAM UNICORN!!! I forgot where I saw it . However it is not in function he he.

17. charleenmae says:

Omg. This is so cool. This robot match excites me! And those borderlands games! Im sure my bros will love it.

18. califrank says:

Next stop: Jaegars (Pacific Rim)… minus the kaijus. Man, that would be a must-watch!

19. irabrady44 says:

One megabot fires eggs for bullets and the other unleashes hell with a smile? Looks like this hyped giant robot fight will look more like a gag show than an actual match.

20. roberachi says:

Wow this is an awesome post. I really enjoyed the movie by Hugh Jackman -Real steel and am glad they made a realization of the movie.
    Am a gamer myself and sure would love to try out the game.

21. mchesk16 says:

The fire shooting out of the ground is a nice touch. I think this is something to get excited about. It shows real creativity and ingenuity building a robot that can pack a punch. Thanks for the read!

22. this is awesome. ill be watching later on the megabots links. thanks for letting us know the dates. i cant wait to see where they go with this

23. rage87 says:

Wow! This is so cool. I’ve watched real steel before but I had never imagine that such movie can be done in a real life battle. I am just wondering since I’ve never heard nor seen such battle if the fighting arena and scenes similar to the movie? What type of mechanism players are using to control such huge machines?

24. luffyzorro2012 says:

This reminds me of ROBOCOP. However, it is still on early phases. I want to see a functioning humanoid robot.

25. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

As of now we can only see these in fiction. The best way we can get close to a robot is the ROBOT COMBAT LEAGUE. Even in there the movements are slow . It is a far cry to a real robot to be honest.

26. rob3rtow says:

Those giant robots are technically manned vehicles. As much as the audience would want to see some robot-to-robot action (and junked pieces of metal after) ala Real Steel, I think the battle will mostly be a skills contest. Think dog show. :-/

1. garymick344 says:

Dude, try reading once in a while… a’ight? Lilo just said it’ll be like Robot Wars so there will be scrapped metal during the match for sure. What I’d like to know is if these monstrosities will be piloted or remotely controlled… though I reckon they won’t risk pelting BB bullets at real human beings in actual on TV so it would likely be the latter.

27. P Siason says:

I am a big fan of robots. I grew up watching different animations which feature robots such as Voltes V and the likes. Nowadays, of course there are different real forms of robot fights. Who can forget the movie, Reel Steel? Just like you, I can’t wait for the new Pacific Rim movie.