Lilo's Lair #50: Overwatch Halloween Event and Game Inspired Costumes. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

It’s that point of the year where we can all be excited about Halloween. It always seems to sneak up. One moment I’m waiting for Autumn, and the next moment Halloween is a mere three weeks away! I haven’t a hint of what I’m going to dress as or what I’m going to do! Staying in for some late night horror flicks is undoubtedly at the top of my list at the moment though! Okay, maybe not horror. What I’ve really been itching to re-watch is Avatar. That is, ever since I heard the news that filming for the sequel has begun! Woah, only took them eight years.

That still leaves me guessing at what to wear… which has lead me to look up all manner of cosplay and game-inspired costumes. It’s pretty easy to find video game costumes at big stores these days. Party City has a page full of things like Sonic the Hedgehog, Pikachu, Pokeball dresses, Assasin’s Creed, Link, Master Chief, and more.

Image result for party city video game customer master chief

IMAGE FROM PARTYCITY

That means a gaming costume doesn’t have to be well thought and require hours on Pinterest figuring out how to put together a cool gaming costume. These grab and go costumes are especially helpful if we spent all our extra time gaming and ran out of time to do anything but buying an outfit before the big day arrives.

However, there are still tons of options. Some easier and cheaper than others. This is one of my favorites:

IMAGE FROM FASHIONABLY GEEK

I love this one for a few reasons. The first reason is it’s mostly just a regular outfit with leggings, a plain shirt, and a jacket! However, it looks fantastic. There are a few essential parts that would be hard to find, although probably not too hard to make–the ears and tail. Those shoes look rather particular, but it’d be easy to get away with some red sneakers with white details. The second biggest reason I love this one is that it looks comfy! I’ll take the more comfortable outfit over the cuter one any day. Luckily, this costume has both.

Another favorite I found was this Lara Croft:

IMAGE FROM SUPERHERO PHOTOGRAPHY

This costume will definitely require purchasing a few accessories (gun holders and “guns”), but the rest is stuff that could already be in your closet. Rough it up a little, rub some dirt in it, pull your hair back and hello Lara Croft! For the guns, I suggest painting airsoft guns.

Now, let me tell you. I think this year we are going to see a lot of Rick and Morty costumes. I know it’s not gaming specifically (though don’t forget there is the favorite phone game Pocket Mortys) but mark my words, there are going to be a lot of Rick and Mortys. Everything from a quickly purchased Rick and Morty from Hot Topic or Spirit Halloween to over the top handmade Pickle Rick cosplay.

IMAGE FROM GFYCAT

That sweet Pickle Rick cosplay was from the San Francisco Comic Con this year. Since we aren’t all as talented as this guy you could always use this instead:

IMAGE FROM TEECHIP PRO

I have to admit, a simple t-shirt for a Halloween costume sounds just about my speed. Let me know about any gaming themed costumes you’re doing this year!

Now, carved pumpkins and candy are dancing around in my head. Which is why I was very excited to hear about Overwatch announcing it’s own Halloween event. Overwatch Halloween Terror 2017 starts October 10th.

This is the second year for such an event and this year they’ve started it nearly a week earlier to give players more time to earn some sweet loot. Specifically, I mean loot boxes that have Halloween skins for your character! The skins look absolutely fantastic, and we know this because uh-oh, some have been leaked!

First up is a skin for Zenyatta that looks like none other than Cthulhu–the Lovecraftian monster from the deep blue who drives a man mad just from looking upon his tentacle face!

Here is a cute skin for Mei–a vampire! Not just any vampire but a particular type of Chinese vampire called a jiangshi.

Intrigued to see more? Well, you can see all the revealed and leaked skins here at Gamespot. You’ll notice there isn’t just costumes for your characters, but also some weapons that look pretty cool.

On to the event itself! It runs from October 10th to November 2nd. Ove twenty days to try and win loot! Last year there was a prevalent mode added called “horde mode.” In this mode, you could play as either Ana, McCree, Hanzo, or Soldier 76 against hordes of zombie robots. You would also face off against AI controlled Halloween versions of other characters. Specifically Witch Mercy, Evil Doctor Junkrat, Pumpkin Head Reaper, and a Frankenstein’s monster Roadhog. Considering how popular this was, I’m sure they will bring it back again for this year. A lot of players were even begging for this to be a year-round mode!

Along with the announcement teaser video, a little poem was released:

The nights grow cold
And monsters appear
A great evil gathers
And Halloween draws near…

Ominous and cryptic!

Click here to read Lilo Nash’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, ITS STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Lilo_Nash_signature

25 thoughts on “Lilo’s Lair #50: Overwatch Halloween Event and Game Inspired Costumes

1. Pickle Rick is an awesome idea! So nice since I love Rick and Morty. I just find Lara Croft so usual, NEXT!

2. unvrso says:

For halloween, there are many custom ideas form gaming. I would choose any custom from the star wars series. That´s a good one

3. wokerful says:

Hopefully, there is still time ahead for picking the most suiatble Halloween custome. I´m more of the idea that improvising is what can help find the good one. The ideas from this article are great though

4. valine13 says:

Wow this is great! I like Halloween events in the US they make everything fun!

5. darkkvader says:

I want to wear a good halloween costume too! Hmm i wonder! thanks for some inspired costumes!

6. charleenmae says:

I really wish we have a halloween party to where we get dressed up. Its not a thing in my country. That’s so sad.

7. Michael Sena says:

I do hope that people would find inspiration from more underrated games out there. I am sick of all these mainstream costumes every year. Lol

8. Where is Nathan Drake he he? His costume is one of those easy to get types. Like Lara’s in Tomb Raider..

I love seeing other people’s costumes but couldn’t pull off costumes nicely myself. I like that photo from Fashionably Geek but don’t really know what/who they’re dressing up as?

10. psylockexmen2012 says:

The SONIC costume is weird. I know this is Halloween but come on its weird? Is that SUPER SONIC or TAILS?

11. I like that costume from Fashionably Geek. I prefer to look like a cute animal than to look like a monster.

12. edg4r32 says:

Here it comes, folks! Get ready for an avalanche of video game Halloween skins! LOL

Some of the MMO games I play are already announcing their Halloween themes and game modes ~nice

13. rob3rtow says:

Hey, Lilo.. if I’d do the Sonic costume, would you be my Tails? 😉 I’d love to see you in leggings and shirt! <3<3<3

14. Alma May says:

I would prefer Lara Croft’s costume for the Halloween. But it makes me sad I couldn’t find one here in our costume store.

15. wolfbro says:

In my country here there is almost never a Haloween. In that I feel kinda sad sometimes, that’s why I would love to go to USA at least once in my life to experience days such as this.

16. Those are some awesome looking costumes really. Really colourful and so interesting. I wonder how much time and effort was put in to making all this costumes.

17. i love seeing the classics like sonic . its always cool to see how much effort people put into their costumes.

18. mchesk16 says:

I think it’s fun to mix and match for Halloween. One year I rocked a devil’s mask, a backwards cap and a leather jacket. I think a Donald Trump costume will get the most laughs this year.

19. miakayuuki2012 says:

The Assassins Creed is my pick!!! It is cool and sleek. Not that easy to acquire but I can work it out.

20. alexsummers123 says:

The Lara Croft is the easiest thing to do much less buy. I still prefer the Angelina Jolie one though to be honest.

21. P Siason says:

Halloween is right around the corner! Surely, there are many excited kids and adults planning their awesome costumes by now. Going as Lara Croft is very classic since it’s popular yet easy to achieve. It is really fun to see many people dressed up as different characters and personalities.

22. roddyw says:

Zenyatta isn’t just gonna be Cthulhu on Halloween. Checked out the leaks and he’s shown as a skeleton and people are calling him “Skullyatta” LOL

23. t1na84 says:

Call me lazy but a superhero-themed shirt is my kind of Halloween costume. And I wear one every other day so I guess, Halloween is a year-long affair for me? hahaha

24. rage87 says:

Halloween is fast approaching and there are lots of Halloween costumes to choose from. It’s quite fun to see people dressed up in various characters but one of my favorite Halloween costume would be that like the justice league. Batman is the best choice as Halloween costume for the superheroes.

25. I’m not a fan of Halloween. I don’t celebrate it nor put effort on wearing a costume. Nice article though but, it’s really not my thing.