Lilo's Lair #43: Five Alternatives to Steam. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Steam is the leading way to buy computer games. It is made by Valve, the same company that created the game Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and more. Steam is a pretty great program, to be honest. You can find all your games in one place. Not only that but the popularity lends itself to the ratings, and I feel like I can really trust a lot of the ratings for games there. However, it’s not the only way to buy games on your computer. Why might you want to buy games somewhere else? Maybe Steam is down, perhaps the other place has a better deal, maybe because the other store is web-based. I’m sharing with you five alternatives to Steam that offer something a little different. These aren’t site or programs that I think will ultimately replace Steam. They just offer a few different things and can be used instead of Steam in some cases.

#1 GOG

Image result for gog com logo

IMAGE FROM SKOAR!

GOG (Good Old Games), or more recently GOG Galaxy. What’s so great about GOG compared to Steam? Let’s see…

Pros:

It is DRM (digital rights management) free, regularly discounts games, and offers refunds to people whose country has a cost markup. For instance, a game costs $20 in the United States, but $30 in Denmark. GOG will refund the difference in Wallet funds. The site looks great and is lightweight, there are cloud storage options. It has added achievements in games and offers a friends chat.

Cons:

GOG has a smaller video game library than Steam. That’s because any company that wants a DRM on its game, will not want to sell it on this DRM free program. Another downfall is you can only manage games bought from GOG in GOG.

#2 Itch.io

Image result for itch.io games

IMAGE FROM LUDUM DARE

Itch.io is all about the indie games. You will not find non-indie games here, no sir!

Pros:

Free games galore! Most the games on this site are free. The others are really cheap, and a few are a little more. Another pro is you’ll find games here that won’t make it to Steam.

Cons:

No non-indie games, of course. Also, any game developer can upload their game. That means there are some not great games on the site that you’ll have to muddle through while finding a good one.

#3 Green Man Gaming

Image result for green man gaming

IMAGE FROM RESELLER RATINGS

Green Man Gaming is a completely web-based game store. No need to download their program to make purchases! These guys are the number two most popular site for a pc game retailer.

Pros:

Web-based, extra discounts for “VIP” users (aka, you have a permanent account), frequent sales, offer steam keys (as well as keys to many other gaming store sites) to activate the game on steam. The neatest pro is how you are rewarded for playing games. You can earn store credit from progressing through the game! You can also trade in your game when you are finished with it.

Cons:

Not as many games as Steam and not all the games have Steam keys.

#4 Humble

Image result for humble store

IMAGE FROM THUMB THRONE

Humble! I just talked about Humble Bundle last week in regards to gaming deals. As mentioned previously, this site has a great monthly subscription deal. However, that isn’t the only thing they offer. Humble does indeed have a more standard storefront with a wide selection of games.

Pros:

DRM-free, 5% of the purchase goes to the charity Child’s Play, another 5% can also be donated to charity or refunded to the purchaser. Lastly, if you are a monthly subscriber then you get 10% off all purchases.

Cons:

As is the tale with all these options, fewer games than Steam. Hard to get around that.

#5 Origin

Image result for origin games

IMAGE FROM UBERGIZMO

Origin is what EA created to compete with Valve’s Steam. This doubles as EA’s chat platform and overall community. There is a $5 monthly subscription that offers previews on new games and access to old games for free.

Pros:

Origin offers some indie games that are not made by EA. It also offers some older EA games for free. One of the best pros is a 24-hour-no-questions-asked-full-refund or a 7 day (questions posed) refund.

Cons:

Selection, selection, selection. Origin’s library can’t compare to Steams.

There is my list, but don’t go thinking these are the only options. There are quite a few, and quite a few of those are pretty popular too. There is the Windows Store, Uplay,  buying game keys on Amazon, buying directly from the publisher, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, OnePlay, and more. This is a capitalist nation after all. I chose what I chose for my list by popularity and what the site has to offer that Steam doesn’t. Again, I don’t recommend any of these as a full replacement for Steam. They are something to add to Steam.

Steam will always remain my favorite place for buying games. The selection, the tons of gamers leaving reviews, and the organization of the program makes it very easy to use. Honestly, it’s hard for any company to compete with Steam at this point. However, my other favorites from my list are Humble (for its deals and charity donations) and itch.io because it offers something really different than Steam does with the plethora of free indie games.

Click here to read Lilo Nash’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, ITS STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Lilo_Nash_signature

28 thoughts on “Lilo’s Lair #43: Five Alternatives to Steam

1. wokerful says:

Some sites might give some extra choices in games. That´s wonderful. That´s what I like about the gaming industry, there is always where to choose from, thanks for the useful information

2. mchesk16 says:

It’s probably a good idea to use more than one site for more gaming options. Faster downloading time is definitely a key factor when deciding which site to choose from.

3. albeneth says:

I think Steam is great it organizes all the games in one place. Much better if it also works on fast loading…nothing beats uninterrupted gameplay.

4. kittyprydexmen says:

I have not tried these systems before aside from STEAM. However, this is absolutely a competition for STEAM. The more the better.

Gosh, so many other stores to choose from. It looks like Steam is currently the crowd favorite but it’s nice to know there are other alternatives out there.

6. Chatingale says:

Oh, very nice of you to provide these info. I will be checking each of these sites.

7. nightcrawlerxmen says:

Well I currently have STEAM and G Arena if that is still a thing. I am open for alternatives though and this will do me well.

8. I have tried Origin and I love their selection. I agree that it can’t compare to Steam but I use Steam because most of my friends are on there.

9. valine13 says:

Never heard or seen these websites before. Now learning more bout gaming!

10. darkkvader says:

Wow nice alternatives. Thanks for sharing this. haven’t tried any of them before. It would be nice then.

11. hals3y says:

These are some good finds, Lilo! Thanks for taking the time to look ’em up! Good job, gurl

12. bebesherman1214 says:

Great suggestions, yea sure… but no thanks, I’m stickin’ with Steam. I guess I’m a creature of habit 😉

13. kulengs says:

This is a great list. I am more interested with itch.io though, can’t wait to try non-indie games. Thanks for sharing.

14. unvrso says:

They may seem like a lot, but I know there are more than these, so it´s good to have more sources for games. Thanks for the list

15. Elaine says:

“The selection, the tons of gamers leaving reviews, and the organization of the program makes it very easy to use.” What I think that, more reviews, more players know more. The game might be more easy-friendly.

16. super excited for itch. im gonna be trying some of those out. i didnt actually know about any of these so this is awesome. thank you

17. miakayuuki2012 says:

I have a habit of Shifting things once in a while. THat includes my games. My pick would be Origin.

18. I enjoy STEAM so far. I do not know about others but I guess others are worth checking out just for the game list.

19. t1na84 says:

I’m intrigued by EA’s Origin. Would the platform happen to have old NBA Live? I better check it out. Thanks for the info, Lilo!

20. 17keane says:

Been playing mainstream video games a long time and I’ve been real bored by their familiar formula. Thankfully, there are tons of indie games featured on this list and I think I’ll give ’em a try. Hopefully, they’ll offer something totally new

21. I like how you elaborate everything in this article. Just like you, I’ll go for humble as well.

22. Whoa Origin is from EA? NO wonder it has good reviews. I will definitely check it out.

23. luffyzorro2012 says:

I am not planning to discard steam soon but I do not mind these options. I can just look at the game list and decide later.

24. chinodc1 says:

Wow I did not know there were a lot of alternatives to Steam. Although I know itch.io and I kindof like it.

25. How do you find these alternatives? Thank you for sharing things like these to gamers like us!

26. Great info. Which sites do you think indie game developers would prefer?

27. Dominic says:

Thanks for the information on the different alternatives available. It’s nice to know that I have other options to explore.

28. I have used Steam, Origin, and Humble. It should be noted that a lot of the games that you get from Humble are actually activated and used through steam. Thanks for all the info, I will have to check out the others!