Lilo's Lair #42: Youtube Gaming. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Do you like watching gaming streams? Though, maybe you are even interested in creating your own stream? I mean, why not? It’s pretty easy to set up and lets you enjoy your gaming time with others. Also, you might make a little cash if you get famous enough. That always has a nice ring to it: making money just playing video games. Ahh, the comfortable life. I’m just kidding, nothing is ever straightforward. The hard work involved with being a gaming streamer is promotion and personality. There are tons of others out there trying to make some money streaming gaming sessions, and you have to stick out from the crowd in some way or another to gain viewership. If you can’t, kiss goodbye to making any money! Even if you make no money though, it could still be a fun hobby to further increase the joys of gaming.

game_screenshot_1

IMAGE FROM CHEAT SHEET

Now, Twitch is the most popular and biggest video game streaming site. However, YouTube is the largest video viewing site in the world. With that in mind, YouTube has decided to take on Twitch and offer a similar way to make money streaming your gaming sessions.

You may or may not be familiar with YouTube Gaming. I know I haven’t heard it mentioned all that much, but it has been around a couple years. YouTube Gaming is its own site, an offshoot to YouTube itself and completely integrated. What it offers is live and on-demand game content. It offers a sleeker web page, with a black background that’s easy on the eyes. A streaming video is featured on the top of the homepage, along with a bunch of recommended videos underneath it. At the very tippy-top of the page are tabs to take you to certain videos–including only currently live ones. Check it out here.

Image result for youtube gaming

IMAGE FROM GOOGLE PLAY

Now, as mentioned, YouTube Gaming has been around for a little while. What is brand spanking new is the sponsorship ability. It’s about time too, if they actually planned to compete with Twitch. Twitch offers subscriptions. Which means that a person can pay a little to subscribe to their favorite streamers. YouTube Gaming is offering “sponsorship,” which is exactly the same thing. On YouTube Gaming, you pay $4.99 a month to sponsor a gamer. The benefits of doing this include being able to directly buy digital goods from the gamer’s channel, and also a custom emoticon and badge. A sponsor will also gain access to an exclusive chat and will be able to chat as much as they want, even if the channel’s chat normally has a limit to how many messages you can send at a time.

YouTube Gaming sponsorship just started, but even in beta is was doing exceptionally well. That is why YouTube is starting to offer it for the entire site, not just Gaming. However, as of now, it’s on an invite-only basis. That means a YouTube channel cannot implement sponsorship unless they are invited to do so by the YouTube gods. What this results in is the dissolution of “paid channels”–which was something YouTube began offering in 2013. However what still remains is Super Chat. Super Chat is a service that gives viewers the option to pay a little money to pin their comment in the live chat. This is similar to “cheering” found on Twitch.

Go ahead over to YouTube gaming and check out the videos and live streams. They even stream professional league games. Though maybe you are ready to start your own streaming? Well if you’ve got a gaming computer, webcam, and mic you are ready to go! Let me walk you through the steps on starting a stream on YouTube Gaming.

First things first, you will need a verified YouTube account. This is usually (always?) done by inputting your phone number and them sending you a code. You input the code on their site, and you are ready to go!

The next step involves first going to your account’s Creator Studio. On the left-hand side, there is a drop-down menu called Live Streaming. In that drop-down menu, you will find “Stream Now.” Click it! This is where you put in the details of the streaming channel you are making. Things like a name, a description, and if you want your videos public or private.

Okay, so your stream is set up. Next, up is setting up the software to record yourself and your games. Here is a list of supported programs. One of the most popular ones is Xsplit Gamecaster. I’ve used this program myself (along with a few others). You can download it from here. After downloading you can input your YouTube Live account in the program. They will make you verify it, the same way YouTube made you verify your account with a mobile number.

Image result for game caster

IMAGE FROM SHORYUKEN

The last thing you want to do before starting to record is making sure everything is set up correctly. That means, make sure your mic and camera are facing the right way, and also checking out your setting in your recording program.

Okay, so you are ready to start! Open your game and if you are using Xsplit Gamecaster then press “ctrl” and “tab.” That will kick start the program to start where you will see the bottom to stream. Click stream and a pop-up window lets you adjust some things (like the videos name, description, and public/private setting). Fiddle with that then click “Start Broadcast”!

Yay, you’re streaming your gaming session!

Click here to read Lilo Nash’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, ITS STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Lilo_Nash_signature

26 thoughts on “Lilo’s Lair #42: Youtube Gaming

1. Haha! That’s so true. It’s so stressful to be playing only to realize later on the recording and mic aren’t working and you can’t recapture what you did anymore again.

Crazy how it’s the first time I’ve heard of YouTube Gaming! It made me realize that there must be plenty of gamers out there and plenty willing to support them if there is a YouTube offshoot specifically for this industry,

3. miakayuuki2012 says:

This so called YOU TUBE GAMING has been happening for years. I for one is subscribe to Angry joe whose content is about gaming. I just hope that YouTube eases up on their copyright policies.

4. valine13 says:

I like the fact that plenty of people are so creative that this Youtube gaming is born. It also helps a lot of beginners actually.

5. micorobin says:

If this is true then it is a good news for content creators. For the policies will now be a bit relaxed. After all they are getting money from a players hardwork.

6. darkkvader says:

There are plenty of tutorials too which is so great for amateurs or like walkthroughs.

7. Chatingale says:

It’s nice that someone can earn while earning and enjoying at the same time. But I’ve known Youtube as a platform for those who want to be famous instantly.

8. I think the people that get noticed and become popular are the people that stream for fun and not for money. I heard a lot of other youtubers say the same thing. If you enjoy what you do with no other hidden agendas, then people will notice.

9. rob3rtow says:

YouTube vs. Twitch… now that’s one heavy-weight division match I’d wanna see! Ha ha

.. just kidding. It’s clear YouTube has the longevity and reputation to obliterate every other video-sharing site on the WWW. #sadbuttrue

10. irabrady44 says:

Hey, Lilo. Where do you get your daily fix of video-gaming streams: YouTube Gaming or Twitch.tv? Wanna hear your thoughts 🙂

11. hey lilo I am not a gamer myself but I like YouTube and the game streaming, maybe I will create an account using the instruction you provided. I already have a regular channel so maybe I will give it a shot. Thanks.

12. saviourv says:

Interesting. Just wondering, though…are there any channels for those who prefer to discuss indie or retro games on YouTube? And are they more or less popular than the mainstream gamers out there?

I happen to like retro and indie games a lot. Somehow, there’s something about them that makes them special, compared against more generic games in these times. Have you ever played the Mega Man series, or perhaps Gunstar Heroes? There’s a certain charm to those games, IMHO.

13. charleenmae says:

Wow. This is the first time I heard of this. I knew you may earn doing videos and uploading it in YouTube but never knew about gaming.

14. unvrso says:

I had heard of youtube gming but never tried it. It would be ideal to play my favorite games and make money at the same time. Thanks for this useful information

15. Amanda says:

Heard of it, never try it though. Not really into gaming. Although it seems fun since most of my friends are stuck with their phone and gaming every time they got spare time.

16. wokerful says:

The gaming options abound. With all this sponsorship option, I find it more attractive to start focusing on youtube gaming. It´s great idea

17. mchesk16 says:

Sounds like a fun way to enjoy your hobby while making some cash on the side. It’s probably to your benefit to watch other channels first and decide how to make yours stand out.

18. kittyprydexmen says:

How long has this been out? How come YT is not promoting it? At least the way I see it. Good upgrade I will give it that.

19. nightcrawlerxmen says:

I am excited to see this in action!!! It will be like watching an actual game on my computer without playing it.

20. hals3y says:

Anyone can choose to stream their games online… but they’ve got to have three things: 1) a solid gaming rig 2) an appealing face 3) an engaging personality

… lack those three and I guarantee you’ll just be anybody forgettable on cyberspace. Have them three and you’re gonna be a real YouTube/Twitch star

21. bebesherman1214 says:

I’m not comfortable having people watch me play. Even if I’m really good at the game, I tend to unravel in-game when somebody’s observing me… but when there’s not a soul in sight, I’m a pro! LOL

22. kulengs says:

Great way to truly learn how to play a game. Makes the life of a gamer easier and also another way to earn.

23. charlesxavier123 says:

I wish YT will remove some of their limitations such as the channel creator. It can be good for gamers.

24. t1na84 says:

I had little idea YouTube was already doing video game streaming. Have I been living under the rock the whole time? *facepalm*

25. finley001 says:

It’s fun watching somebody else play your fave video game but I hate it when some new title gets spoiled by some overeager streamer. That always pisses me off especially when I want to explore a game on my own :-/

26. Your site is truly a gamer’s hub! YouTube game streaming is quite popular among students here, actually. I might as well recommend this informative article.