Lilo's Lair #41: Nine Anime About Gaming. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

This week I’ve been obsessing over anime. It’s how it always happens. You see, I’m not the type of person who just does something on a regular basis. Instead, I go on these massive binges with things like tv and books. This week I’m all about anime and abusing my 14-day free trial at FunimationNow to watch everything they’ll let me. A great two weeks binge fest of all the animes that catch my eye. After that, my itch will be scratched, and I’ll have to wait a while for new series to come out for another future binge fest.

I have to say, I’m really liking FunimationNow. It’s so far been a great site for streaming anime. What I find peculiar is they have a long time partnership with Crunchyroll (another anime streaming site). I feel like they should be competitive but instead, they’ve joined hands and share content for each other’s streaming sites.

Anyway, I’ve put together a list (in no particular order) of nine anime shows that are about gaming! I’ve seen some of them, am currently watching one of them, and the rest are certainly on my “to watch” list.

#1 And you thought there is never a girl online?

Image result for you thought there is never a girl online

IMAGE FROM THE FANDOM POST

This is a fun anime all about a high school boy who loves playing with his guild in an MMO. Eventually, the guild decides to meet up, and it’s revealed that every other person in his guild is a girl from his high school. That includes his in-game wife, Ako, who can’t seem to tell the difference between reality and the game world.

This tv series is a little mature because there is a lot of fan service. Which might be obvious from the picture I posted above with the overflowing cleavage. You can watch this at FunimationNow and Crunchyroll.

#2 Sword Art Online

Image result for anime sword art online

IMAGE FROM ACTION & COMICS

Sword Art Online is about a new type of virtual reality MMO being released. How this virtual reality is different from ours is that it connects with the user’s brain and allows them to control their character with their mind (and therefore experience the fantasy world with their five senses). Things go awry when 100,000 players first login and it’s revealed they are unable to leave the game unless they complete it entirely. Uh-oh!

This series has 25 episodes in the first season and 24 in the second. So plenty to binge on. This show can be found on Crunchyroll and Netflix.

#3 Overlord

Image result for magic anime

IMAGE FROM CRUNCHYROLL

This is another anime where someone gets trapped in a game. After a twelve year run for a popular virtual reality MMO game, it gets shut down. Right after the game is “shut down” our main character, Momonga realizes he is still connected to his character and can no longer leave the game. Not only that, but the NPCs (non-player characters) have taken on their own personalities.

This show is available on Crunchyroll, FunimationNow, Hulu, and anime-planet.

#4 Log Horizon

Image result for Log Horizon

IMAGE FROM LOG HORIZON WIKIA

Yet another trapped in the game scenario for a futuristic style virtual reality! It’s a favorite theme, and a good one. After the latest game update, 30,000 people find themselves unable to log out of the game. What makes this anime different from the others is its focus on game-play. The main character is a master strategist and has to lead others towards a stable world.

This series is available on Hulu, Crunchyroll, and anime-planet.

#5 Himouto! Umaru-chan

Image result for himouto umaru chan

IMAGE FROM ANIMELER.NET

Himouto! Umaru-chan is all about the perfect high school girl…or is it? At school, she certainly seems perfect, but as soon as she gets home, she turns into a lazy, otaku who does nothing but play video games and porks out on junk food. Sounds like my dream come true. All to the dismay of her brother who is left with all the chores, haha.

This show is available on Crunchyroll and Hulu.

#6 No Game No Life

Image result for No Game No Life

IMAGE FROM HULU

This funny anime is all about an expert gaming sibling duo, Sora, and Shiro. They are shut-ins who think life is just a boring game. They eventually get invited into a new gaming world where all conflict is resolved through games. The siblings decide they will unite this world and become the new gods of it.

This show is available on Crunchyroll and Hulu.

#7 .Hack//Sign

Image result for .Hack//Sign

IMAGE FROM ANIME NEWS NETWORK

Tsukasa awakens with no memories in an MMO he cannot log out of. He is suspected to be a hacker by certain people. Eventually, he finds a special item that takes the form of a guardian who will protect him from all harm. Several other players decide to help Tsukasa get to the bottom of why he cannot log out.

This show is available on FunimationNow, Crunchyroll, and Hulu.

#8 Accel World

Image result for accel world infinite burst

IMAGE FROM TINANIME

Accel World is all about an overweight, super short high school guy who loves playing online games. The cute Vice President of the Student Council is also a gamer and asks for his help in a new game. This game is called Brain Burst, and through winning fights, a user is given the ability to accelerate their brain waves, making time appear to stop. The Vice President wants to find the creator of the game and ask why he created it.

This show is available on Hulu, anime-planet, and Netflix.

#9 Summer Wars

Image result for summer wars anime movie

IMAGE FROM SPORCLE

Summer Wars is different from all the other on the list because it’s a full-length movie, not a tv show. In this film exists a virtual world called OZ. OZ has such an exceptional security system that most the world depends on it for most things (even using it to bring an asteroid explorer back from space). A 17-year-old math genius works security checks for OZ and is sent a text message that is a puzzle. After cracking the code, it becomes apparent he has just put the entire world in danger.

This movie is available to watch at FunimationNow and can be purchased for Amazon Video.

Click here to read Lilo Nash’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, ITS STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Lilo_Nash_signature

29 thoughts on “Lilo’s Lair #41: Nine Anime About Gaming

1. unvrso says:

I grew up watching anime, so this list of anime will surely fit into my gaming needs. It´s good to find anime about gaming

2. mchesk16 says:

There’s a lot of room to develop a plot around gaming. Reading about And You Thought There Was Never a Girl Online reminded me of one of my friends who had a cyber girlfriend on World of War Craft.

3. I have seen Summer Wars and Hack Sign and they’re really really amazing and amusing. I hope others will watch it too! The show listed here speaks about gamer life which of course gamers like myself will relate to. So good japanese people have an anime for almost everything!

4. Chatingale says:

I have always loved anime since I was a kid. Even now that I am older I still enjoy those stuff.

5. titanierza says:

I have seen these mostly if not all of them. I do not like SAO though. Particularly, how the second half turned out.

6. alexsummers123 says:

Yeah ERZA the second half of SAO went into INCEST territory just being honest here. That forced me to drop the series actually.

I did a double take at Summer Wars. It’s one of those anime movies I plan on watching but didn’t exactly know where to watch. The first one (And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online) sounds like a fun series to watch too!

8. valine13 says:

Wow thanks for featuring this! Like them

9. darkkvader says:

Ive watched Log Horizon, Accel world and SAO and theyre alll good!

10. These are great Anime games. My kid actually loves to play one of these.

11. roddyw says:

An interesting premise but if you were to get into anime, I wouldn’t recommend any of these shows. Lilo, I suggest you watch Cowboy Bebop (dubbed) before your FunimationNow subscription goes. I guarantee you, it’d be worth it. 😉

12. coyleon says:

And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online? Well, what do you call Lilo and the rest of the Let’s Review team, huh? Seems like the show’s plot is paper thin. 😀

13. charleenmae says:

I love watching anime but never saw or heard of these games. Imma check them out.

14. I have an idea about Sword Art Online and No Game No Life because I already watched some parts of it. What I like about SAO is there is also a bit of romance not just purely gaming.

15. i guess im going to need to watch summers life. i’ve seen the rest of these and enjoyed pretty much all of them.

16. Thanks for this article, a little different but definitely peaked a lot of interest.

17. kulengs says:

I’ve always loved Anime and the last one I watched was Kaichou Maid Sama. I may try Sword Art Online and Hack. Thanks for this list.

18. I saw the HACK Sign 3D movie a while back and it was awesome. You forgot Ragnarok by the way.

19. micorobin says:

Wow somebody remembered RAGNAROK!!! If I may add tales of Phantasia too. Anyway as lomg as gaming is around anime is there. The two come hand in hand together actually.

20. Loved the Overlord series and how the main character is technically a bad guy. Hoping for a season 2 soon!

21. rob3rtow says:

Hmmm.. your current interest just got me intrigued, Lilo. Have you always had a thing for anime or is this just a spur-of-the-moment thing?

22. irabrady44 says:

It really creeps me out watching any anime with a ton of fan service. I mean, what’s the point of giving a girl’s undies some screen time? That’s probably why I’m no big fan of the genre.. at all!

23. bookishgirl says:

I have heard of some of these animes but not all of them I’ve been thinking about watching No Game No Life but I’m stuck in an anime with after finishing the Fairy Tail Manga. 😦

24. wokerful says:

They are all good anime games. I accel world and overlord are some of my oprefered ones

25. I’ve seen most of these but my favorite is either Log Horizon or Overlord. And You Thought There was Never a Girl Online is pretty good too. Currently rewatching Log Horizon actually

26. kittyprydexmen says:

Accel World and SAO technology is the future of technology. We have not reached that level yet but the future is here thanks to this.

27. nightcrawlerxmen says:

IT is actually good that ANIME is featured in this. As an anime fan it makes me feel proud. Hoping this continues.

28. califrank says:

I’m strangely drawn to… bingeing on anime over the weekend. Thanks for the inspiration, Lilo… this is totally outside my comfort zone.

29. hals3y says:

Ain’t Summer Wars too cute? OMG, I’m so watching this one as soon as I can! Thanks for the suggestions, gurl