Rin's Room #33: Top 5 LoZ Games. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Breath of the Wild has been experiencing a lot of success in the past year, which is good news to me since I’m an avid LoZ fan. If you don’t have a Switch, don’t worry–you can run it on the CEMU emulator for PC and experience it for yourself.

Still, Breath of the Wild isn’t the only Zelda game out there. And sometimes new installations of the series create more questions than they answer. For example: who are Link and Zelda? Are they soulmates? What’s the chronological order of all these darn games?  Only one thing’s for sure: the LoZ franchise has some of the best games ever created. Let’s look at some of the best.

#1 Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess was released for the Wii and has the distinction of being the very first game I ever played all the way through. It was immersive and enjoyable, and I enjoyed the graphics a lot. Skyward Sword, which we also played on the Wii, wasn’t as enjoyable as TP in my opinion for some reason. I think they went overboard with all the controls, and the run limitation was also pretty frustrating. No more endless barrel rolls? Nah, not for me. I loved Twilight Princess’s strong female characters (Midna and Zelda were both awesome!), and the ability explore the TP world. The story was relatable, and the art was absolutely enchanting. It was nice to see a darker twist on a Zelda game.

#2  Ocarina of Time

Released in 1998, this is the legendary game that solidified the Zelda franchise as one that would stand the test of time. It was the first game to feature 3D graphics and time travel, and at the time it was the largest game ever produced by Nintendo. Even when playing it as a girl I identified with Link’s journey from home and spent countless hours trying to catch Poe Souls. The game has a perfect score from IGN and a 99% on Metacritic, and honestly, I think it’s the greatest game ever created. What do you say? You haven’t experienced video games until you’ve tried this game at least once.

#3 Breath of the Wild

A lot of critics weren’t expecting much from Breath of the Wild, and in fact, I remember reading a bunch of angry comments saying that BOTW was going to be awful and that we never needed an open world game from the Zelda universe. But BOTW’s stellar reviews and high sales have quickly proved those comments wrong.

It is the best-selling game on the Nintendo Switch, and for the first time ever there’s actual voice acting. You can run, climb, swim, and even paraglide. Though its ratings aren’t as amazing as Ocarina of Time, it still received a whopping 97/100 on Metacritic. All of its other scores by other magazines and publications have consistently been above 90%. To tell you the truth, I’d buy the Switch just to get a chance to play this game.

#4 Wind Waker

Don’t overlook Wind Waker when trying out Zelda games to play! It’s set in an ocean with lots of small islands and is set way after Ocarina of Time. Instead of the usual 3D art we’ve grown familiar with in games like Majora’s Mask and TP, Wind Waker offers a cel-shaded, cartoon-ized take on these classic characters. You have to rescue Link’s sister, solve the mystery of the flood, and (of course) defeat Ganondorf. Its HD remaster is playable on Wii U, though it was initially released on GameCube in 2002.

#5 Majora’s Mask

The mask and creepy moon have entered meme culture and are absolutely unforgettable. I didn’t get to play this on the console it was intended for, and instead played on an emulator. But that doesn’t erase any of the wonderful memories I made playing this game with my brother. I finally finished it on the Nintendo 3DS (the remaster was released in 2015)! It was initially released for the N64.

I really loved meeting all of the characters and playing through the story. The 3-day time limit was really challenging and kind of stressed me out since, even with the time loops, the threat of the countdown at the bottom of the screen put a lot of pressure on gamers! It was kind of sweet and endearing to see Skull Kid’s actual face–the mask makes him look so sinister. This is another great and legendary game that you should definitely play!

There you go: five of the most awesome, “you should definitely try this!’ games in the LoZ series. I know these are all relatively new, but after 2000 Nintendo did really step up and improve the LoZ series, molding them into what they are today. What do you think?

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

28 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #33: Top 5 LoZ Games

1. unvrso says:

Of course, every game from Nintendo has a level of success that guaranties the total fulfillness for those of us who are avid gamers

2. wokerful says:

All of these games have made my days. This is a very good list of successful Nintendo games

3. I really love playing at LoZ because though I don’t have a switch, I can still use PC Emulator to play it. Love these games!

4. mchesk16 says:

The Link saga continues! Definitely one of Nintendo’s most signature characters.

5. Should probably get Switch and try it out. I agree that Nintendo really stepped up. Kudos to them. I’m looking forward to the progression of the LoZ series.

6. miakayuuki2012 says:

Any Back story on this I assume company would be good. i never heard of this series until now , As weird as that may sound..

7. micorobin says:

I feel like a Dummy in not realizing that this stands for Legend of Zelda!!! Lol. I have played the classic games but not the new ones. Anyway nice to see it being featured here.

8. valine13 says:

Zelda is my super favorite game! I remember those listed!

9. darkkvader says:

Wow love it that is featured here. Thanks for this I will dl some of those I havent played yet!

10. Chatingale says:

These are cool stuff on the list! Really having fun playing majora’s mask.

11. mur13l says:

How could anyone ever forget Ocarina of Time? That was simply a masterpiece and boy I’m lucky to have played that game! Great list here, Rin… got me strolling down memory lane. 🙂

12. coyleon says:

LoZ franchise is among those that paved the way for other RPGs to thrive. I don’t think open world games wouldn’t be as successful as they are nowadays if not for these timeless Nintendo classic!

13. charleenmae says:

I myself am also an avid fun of LoZ! Have such incredible games. Its a legend!!

14. oh man. this is memories. i first rented ocarina of time from game stop(or something like this, cant remember) and loved this game. i was pretty young and the skeletons kept killing me lol. ended up owning 4/5 of these games

15. marchaching says:

LoZ’s are real classic! I haven’t really got to play everything on this list but it’s definitely a must-try! Especially that it’s Lilo’s top 5, we have the same game-blood girl. Haha.

16. Aww these are really the greatest games on switch. I highly recommend these as well to you guys! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

17. titanierza says:

I never actually played Zelda since I do not have a console when I was a kid. I know it though thanks to the cartoon and show.

18. alexsummers123 says:

As for me I am familiar with this due to VS. Battles yeah. Particularly link vs. Sephiroth. That got me to research hard.

LoZ is one of those games which everyone knows even if one is not an avid gamer. And I learned the word “ocarina” from the series, too!

20. roddyw says:

A great list you got here, Rin… just brought a ton of memories flooding back. My buddies back in the day used to rush home just so we could play LoZ. I’m glad people got to appreciate the game as much as I do!

21. rob3rtow says:

Games like these are such a nightmare to me because you get sucked into their premise and the next thing you know… you’re addicted! But don’t get me wrong, I’m a proud LoZ fan through and through 😉

22. kulengs says:

Will always be a Nintendo fan. This is a great list and will probably get Switch to play these games. So excited.

23. charlesxavier123 says:

I am happy with this news however, I will stick to NINTENDO for now. SWITCH has not really grow on me, I am perhaps a few that will say it.

24. psylockexmen2012 says:

I am more interested on a PC version of these games. Why is it that developers seem to forget PC users? I mean we are players too and we love these games as well.

25. Peachy says:

Twilight Princess is like my new favorite Nintendo game right now. I agree that the graphics is pretty impressive.

26. garymick344 says:

Am I glad to see BoTW here! It’s the finest Nintendo game in a long time and that speaks tons about how great Breath of the Wild really is! A really great reason to get a Switch, I tell you

27. irabrady44 says:

On your question of Link and Zelda being soulmates… What makes this Link-Zelda ship is how Nintendo tends to play down the romantic theme to a point of oblivion. The closest fans got anything romantic from LoZ was Skyward Sword and nothing else. The same thing they’re doing with Mario. What’s so wrong about characters falling in love, Nintendo?

28. kittyprydexmen says:

Are this new games under the Zelda series? I never knew of these titles until now. Thank you for sharing.