Rin's Room #30: iPhone X (10, not "x"). Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Sorry guys! I just wanted to fangirl and discuss a little bit about Apple’s new launch. Okay, I know, I know, everyone is talking about it. There are a few things worth talking about, but I’d like to focus on one of their new features called Face ID.

Okay, does anyone remember the Kinect? I do. I hated that thing so much that I didn’t even use it. Neither did any of my brothers. It was cool in theory, but it just…did not work as well as it promised. That was a few years ago, and it looks like Apple decided to revive that and try again, because they destroyed the home button, so if you get an iPhone X you’ll log in with your face. A scan of your face.

Some conspiracy theorists are saying that this is a ploy so that Apple can get all of our data and our bio data and our information, but, I mean… Kinect did do the facial recognition thing too. How do you guys feel about that? A lot of people are complaining and saying it isn’t exactly innovative and actually kind of creepy, but honestly, I think it’s really cool! Unfortunately, it’s way out of my budget–at $1000 it’s almost as expensive as a MacBook.

Essentially, the tech is the same–in the Kinect, depth sensors built a model of the user’s face to create a digital sketch of the user. The cool thing is that whereas the Kinect is massive, the Apple made facial recognition possible in just…2 centimeters. Or so. I’m not sure if this new technology is worth 1 grand, especially since there are no applications yet. But this is where game devs come in.

We all know mobile gaming has steadily become more and more amazing. There have been some gorgeous, interesting games released on mobile (Warhammer and Mobile Legends and PAD, anyone?), and it’s reasonable to expect that in the future if more and more people switch to iPhone X, developers will start including features that make use of those sensors and a Face ID. It would be cool if we could just scan our face and create an in-game avatar! Or something like that. You guys are probably much more creative than me. What are some ideas you have for facial recognition in games?

The funny thing about the launch was that on the first try the facial recognition didn’t actually work. I think that was because it had just restarted and someone had to input a password first before starting facial recognition, but it definitely threw a huge wrench into the launch. That awkward silence was definitely not pleasant!

I liked the wireless charging option, especially since I am notorious for breaking cables. Since they’re kind of pricey, I actually kind of lose a lot of money each year trying to replace my broken, frayed wires–this in spite of the fact that I use cable protectors! Now, this is all theoretical since I’m not actually going to be upgrading my little iPhone 5S, but I guess in two years or three, I’ll finally be able to reap the benefits!

Some skeptics still aren’t buying the whole facial recognition. And that makes a lot of sense, considering we’ve already tried it once. That first time around wasn’t so amazing or impressive. But it’s 2017, and if we can 3d print human organs, we should be able to create some really cool things with facial recognition capabilities! In a way, I kind of feel sorry for the Kinect–maybe Microsoft was just a few years too early. I think that ultimately, the future of the iPhone and Apple will depend on how successful a Face ID is. If it’s successful enough that people are buying it in hordes, I can imagine other phone developers will want to jump on the bandwagon. And that raises more questions–what kind of world will that be? Will we one day be able to unlock our front doors simply by smiling into the mailbox? (Okay, that would be kind of cool). Or maybe we could start our car by looking into the wheel? It’s interesting to speculate on the future of technology, and a little bit frightening thinking about how we’re going to have to balance user privacy. Where is the line? I think that’s the question that’s the most important after this launch.

So, what are you guys thinking?

Honestly, I feel like it’s a bit overpriced for a simple phone and I honestly wouldn’t spend a grand on it even if I had the money too. But I like where the conversation is going.

What are your thoughts on this?

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

21 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #30: iPhone X (10, not “x”)

1. marchaching says:

I’m not really a fan of Apple but it’s OS security is pretty impressive, unlike Android that can be easily modified. This iPhone X, well I just don’t think it’s worth the price for a Face ID.

2. Well that is pretty expensive. But I think it’s becoming more like an Android phone–the looks, features. An iPhone just really has an excellent camera resolution.

3. Slow down apple we barely got to enjoy Iphone 7 now we have this? The pace is too fast in my opinion.

People usually question new things (or fairly new things). I remember the time when online shopping was not as prevalent yet… people were worried that they have to input their credit card details online. Now it’s just normal. That being said, there might be a chance when face ID will become the norm someday.

5. I think face recognition is gonna be a big thing in the future and Apple was just looking into that trend. There’s a lot of negative harps about the iPhone X because they claim it’s outdated. I think it’s really dependent on how you see to use the phone to what you deem fit.

6. micorobin says:

I am not into I phones but even me is like Damn!!! In just a year a new Iphone 7 is now old. As for me as long as it can text or call its okay.

7. I saw its promotional video and it’s soooo gorgeous, I really want one but, I cannot afford it 😦

8. Q says:

The new iPhone looks like a doorway into the future but it may look too far in at the moment. more and more new technologies is coming out and is kinda hard to enjoy them seeing as they are costly and new one keep coming out like ants

9. unvrso says:

Apple products have always had very high prices and for some, that is one thing to consider. Face recognition is a good feature in any phone. Soon, developers will design something using that feature. In games, it could make them more interesting

10. I personally think a grand is way to much to spend on a phone. Apple is just trying to come out with different things to try and impress the younger generation. As for me, as long as I can text, make a call, and access the internet from my phone when away from my pc that’s all I need.

11. wokerful says:

One of my dreams is to have the latest technollllogy on my smartphone. Iphone X is oe of those with the high tecnologycal features, one thing I´m not clear is how to use face ID with a purpose

12. charleenmae says:

I always wanted an iPhone but dad always says its prone to snatchers. So long story short I didnt get it. Maybe someday when I start earning. Ooh and there’s a funny video I saw on FB on how apple came up with their idea for iphone x. Haha

13. mchesk16 says:

A little pricey, but very cool. If they could scan your eye, I think that would be more impressive. I think for this one, it’s best to wait until the cost goes down and buy it when it’s more reasonable.

14. luffyzorro2012 says:

Phones like these are hot on snatchers. Yes in here a phone like this can cost your life. I would rather have the 3310. It does the same thing at its core without a hole in my wallet.

15. Kev says:

slightly anticipating those videos of iPhone vs …… those can be quite entertaining as well as painful to watch. like how do they find the will in them destroy such an expensive thing

16. Kev says:

17. FACE ID is perfect especially for mobile gamers! I think Apple is really innovative in having this as a new feature for iPhone X. I can’t wait to get one and explore its features.

18. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

It wont be long until SAMSUNG releases something just to top this. I have to admit that face ID is on some STAR WARS stuff.

19. Alma May says:

All I can say is I couldn’t imagine how the fast-pace technology has gotten us. Just this advanced featured face ID of iPhone is indeed an extreme, but I don’t think I can afford it. LOL

20. Lorna says:

Well, it’s both creepy and cool for me. Once you purchased new technology then after a few months there will be another one much more innovative stuff available.

21. franklindiary says:

I don’t mind if the price is pricey as long as they provide features that can WOW me. I’m really looking forward to this FACE ID that Apple came up with.