Rin's Room #28: Pewdiepie does it... again. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

So Pewdiepie got in the news for calling another player the n-word during one of his streams. You know, I want to say I’m surprised, but I’m not. Pewdiepie has had plenty of bad press lately, and what’s up with his weird beard? (Sorry…it just looks kind of… mangled).

He said: “What a f***ing n*****! Geez! Oh my god! What the f***? Sorry, but what the f***?”

So… yeah. There are a lot of ramifications here, and lots of Youtubers are pretty upset too.

Youtube has had a lot of trouble recently. A lot of well-known YouTubers have been embroiled in fiascos due to their terrible behavior. I won’t name any of them because I don’t think we should be giving any attention to them, but a quick Google search will probably give you a lot of answers. Lots of people make a living from vlogging on Youtube, and not all of them are amazing people. Plus ads are becoming more and more common–some of them aren’t even skippable, so you have to sit through really boring ads over and over again.

Personally, I agree with the criticism of Pewdiepie. He is the biggest Youtuber in the world, with 57 million followers, and much of his audience consists of young children and teenagers. When they see someone they idolize and look up to set a bad example, some of them will think that it’s acceptable to do so. One indie game developer has insisted that other developers take measures to prevent Pewdiepie from playing their games. Others have laughed at this, saying that it’s better to have publicity from Pewdiepie than it is to make a failing game. And I think that’s what’s wrong with today’s world.

Companies shouldn’t be focused solely on profit. That’s not right. Sure, companies are made to sell stuff and earn money, but weren’t they started because someone believed in something?

People who try to shield him from criticism by saying that he’s just a Youtuber aren’t getting the message. We hold public figures to insane standards because they are idols and heroes for young children. Theoretically, they should be the best of us. And Pewdiepie, even though he’s “just a Youtuber,” is actually not “just a Youtuber.” He’s a major public figure and what he does affects not only himself but over 50 million people. And the funny thing is, he’s probably going to be safe from all of this backlash, and he’s going to keep his channel because he is profitable.

After the Wall Street Journal reported on Pewdiepie’s Nazi references earlier this year, a lot of huge advertisers decided to leave Youtube. It’d be nice if that only affected Pewdiepie, but it hurt smaller channels and a lot of big ones by cutting their earnings. And just when advertisers were starting to come back, this happens again.

It’s easy to dismiss this by saying, “Oh, he’s just joking,” or, “Oh, it’s just slang.” But the thing is, Pewdiepie isn’t even American. Maybe it would be slightly more forgivable if he were American because the word is actually used sometimes in America by black people. But Pewdiepie is Swedish, and he’s living in the UK, so he didn’t learn the n-word from racist neighbors or anyone else. The fact that THIS is the word he uses when he’s annoyed or angry or whatever means that he has used it so frequently it’s become part of his daily vocabulary. That sort of thing takes effort. And that speaks a lot about him as a person.

Personally, I think we all have a right to be disappointed with Pewdiepie. And now the discussion is currently turned to whether or not an indie game developer can prevent Pewdiepie from streaming himself playing their game. They had the video removed.

He also released an apology video earlier today, where he says:

“I’m really sorry if I offended, hurt or disappointed anyone with all of this. Being in the position I am, I should know better. I know I can’t keep messing up like this.

“I owe it to my audience and to myself to do better than this because I know I’m better than this.

“I really want to improve myself and better myself, not just for me, but for anyone who looks up to me or anyone who’s influenced by me. That’s how I want to move forward away from this.”

What do you guys think? How many second chances should this guy be given? Was it just an accident, or is it a big deal?

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

22 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #28: Pewdiepie does it… again.

1. J says:

the question here is did he said it on purpose or is on the spur of a moment or a habit? as a gamer, raging is quite common, we usually arent aware of the things coming from our mouth but pewdiepie is also a public figure, hence it can be quite sensitive to some people

2. unvrso says:

Like you said, he is followed by many people and the only way to stop pewdiepie from falling into bad behavior would be to unfollow; however, that´s almost imposble. The best thing for him would be to refrain from sayind bad words on his chanel

3. wokerful says:

Pewdiepie should think twice before utter anything online. There are people who can not tolerate such behavior.

4. I noticed some YouTubers having bad behaviors with their vlog just as you’ve said. I’m too annoyed by those ads, which are inescapable making me disappointed to watch on YouTube.

1. kittysoftpaws says:

People would do anything for rates, attention and money. I don’t think it makes such a different whether you present a decent or nasty shit in youtube. It’s showbizness baby!

5. What’s wrong with a Swedish adopting the American slang? There is nothing wrong with that. Too many people making a big deal out of this either way it’s publicity for him.

6. chinodc1 says:

Accidentally saying racial slurs is part of American culture. Although it’s not really accepted in the general community.

7. Katlim1214 says:

I’d like to believe that it was just an accident. But as a vlogger, whose audience is quite big, he has to be more careful with what he says. After all, you can’t take back a stone after its thrown.

I’ve been living under a rock… it’s the first time I’ve heard of Pewdiepie (and I watch YouTube videos regularly, too). I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I understand why people are upset. On the other hand, I understand that Pewdiepie is just human and will make mistakes whether he/we like it or not.

9. midnytkat05 says:

10. For having such a large audience online, he should have been careful with what he said. Like what you have mentioned, there are younger audiences who may not understand the content of his vlogs and may think that it’s okay to say it.

11. luffyzorro2012 says:

I know that N word is taken as a sort of discriminating. However, here is the thing the word NIGGAH is common right now. In films and in songs and I do not see anyone complaining about that.

12. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

I agree with Luffy here but I think it is accepted because it sounds cool rather than insulting. Still I am not using that anyway.

13. Lorna says:

Online platforms are the easiest way to convey ideas and thoughts about anything. But, it comes with a responsibility because the world will see and hear you.

14. Not shocking to me. PewDiePie is always like that and people liked him because of that just look at the million subs.

15. marchaching says:

I think people are expecting too much goodness from public figures like Pewdiepie, and they must meet that certain expectation in order to be validated. But in this case, as adults, let’s guide the young ones and teach them well of what’s right and wrong.

16. If he doesn’t want to stop vlogging then he should start acting not just apologizing. With that many followers he should really be way careful.

17. wolfbro says:

I don’t think he meant anything when he said those stuff. I mean, he is who he is, he became influential because of himself, so why must he be accounted for what people take in from his videos?

18. Grecy Garcia says:

If he is a vlogger, he should know that he will always be careful to all of what he says online. I know he is just a person and as a human being he is prone of mistake. What makes it good is that he apologized from what he did. That really matters, the way you know how you made a mistake to people.

19. charleenmae says:

Wouldn’t be so surprised . But he should act properly and be sensitive.

20. People do this all the time, but since Pewds is famous, being the so called poster boy of Youtube, he is the one people attack and try to cash in on. That is not to say that Pewds is not responsible for his actions, it’s just that people like to cash in on the guy that so many people watch. What I find a bit strange is why some white people get offended with the n-word much more than some African American people.

21. mchesk16 says:

It’s a sensitive topic because a lot of successful people now have gotten their start off of YouTube. They should regulate the website more to prevent racist or intolerant videos from being posted. Right now, there’s too much freedom to say whatever you want.