Rin's Room #26: Play Crane Games without being in Japan. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

I’ll be the first to admit that I love Japan. Its culture, its games, its creations, its companies: the only thing I’m not so fond of is its history. Plus it’s kind of homogenous, so they apparently don’t take to outsiders very well… Anyways, when I go to Japan in the future, I’m planning on visiting an arcade. Seriously, you need to look at some photos of Japanese arcades! They are so pop-funky and colorful and exciting, and they are massive. At any given time they’ll be totally crowded with people. One of my dreams is to eventually open an arcade where I live, though I don’t know how popular it would be.

A Japanese company, Taito, has designed an app so that you can play crane games without actually having to be in the arcade–or in Japan at all! The service is called “Taito Online Crane,” and you can choose which crane games you want to play via smartphones or computers. If you win something, your prize will be delivered right to your home, and you won’t have to pay for shipping! If you log in every day, you’ll get virtual currency and info about the newest crane game prizes that are available. Supposedly Taito Online Crane is playable 365 days a year, 24/7, so it seems perfect for people like me who honestly spend way too much time playing games and spending too little time writing…

You know what this is? This is called ENABLING! Enabling ADDICTION to games!

Okay, okay, I’m joking. I can’t read Japanese, but this is the official announcement of the news.

Taito Station is one of the primary creators of game stations like crane games, “purikura” booths, and more. In fact, in Japan, you can play games at Taito Stations (which are basically huge arcades) with Japanese e-money cards. You don’t even need an arcade card! On their website, they say they feature the latest selection of arcade games, prize games with anime and manga memorabilia, ultra-realistic VR games, and more.

Personally, I love the sticker photos booths–they have some at the local arcades, but I’ve always wanted to go to the Japanese arcades and just do all of them. What you do in photo sticker booths is stand in front of a timed camera and take pictures of different pictures. Then you’re given 2 minutes to decorate the photos with your friends as you wish. There are different stickers and pens that you can use, so it’s kind of like a cuter, simpler Photoshop? Not really…

The machine will print everything as stickers, and then you can decorate your phone. You can use scissors to cut up the sticker sheets and share them with your friends. And the best part of these machines is that usually, you can send the photos to your Facebook or your email, so you have a digital copy as well. If I recall correctly they’re called “purikura” booths–in high school, there was one store that had 10 booths, and that was our favorite place to go to get souvenirs or when hanging out with friends.

Talking about all this is seriously making me want to go to Japan! I want to try all the street food and spend my money in the arcades…. all of my money… :’) On second thought, maybe I really shouldn’t be going to Japan. I can’t imagine how much I would hate returning, especially after visiting Tokyo Tower and Kyoto and going to the Pokemon Center… Some of my friends and people I follow on Instagram actually moved to Japan to live and study there full time, and it seems so dreamy! I always feel so envious whenever I see that it’s sakura blossom season over there.

So! What do you guys think about the possibility of being able to download this app? Does it seem like an app you’d love to download? What do you think about crane games? I know most of them are notoriously rigged, but there’s always that glimmer of hope that makes you keep playing… Anyways, feel free to tell me what you think in the comments!

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

19 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #26: Play Crane Games without being in Japan

1. I’ve always wanted to visit Japan to experience their arcade games. For now, if I’m able to download it on app, it will feed my curiosity. 🙂

2. Chami says:

I grew up playing in the arcade. Me and my siblings are arcade kids! I’ll be sure to visit this place when I go to Japan!

3. marchaching says:

Everything in Japan is cute and creative, especially their games. I really love their culture. This made me crave for Japan more!

4. I have never got any luck playing arcade cranes! Lol. Although I’ve seen a lot of hacks on social media and they’re really funny I’d want to try. Crane experts, help me!

Yes, I’d love to try playing that app! But if I have the choice, I’ll prefer to go to Japan. There’s nothing like playing the real thing. 🙂

6. thevoiceofpeople says:

I always love Japan and the way they use technology but I have heard that it will be quite expensive living there. But I would definitely visit Japan one day. The one thing I most love about Japan is their innovation in robtics. This is a good thing that they bring crane arcade games online and they even ship you the prize to your home. This is so cool and sounds like awesome fun. I have never heard about the Taito gaming company but I would definitely check it out. Thank you so much for sharing.

7. unvrso says:

Japanese arcade games seem so colorful. I would love to go to Japan and spend time there getting to know arcade games

8. kulengs says:

Still my dream to go to Japan. Not only the games and food, they have lovely places to go to. Crane games are so addictive, eventhough you obviously won’t get a prize. There is this part of you that wants to play it whenever you see one. Haha!

9. wokerful says:

I have always dream about going to Japan, not only for the games but for it’s culture. This is a good excuse to visit that great country

10. mchesk16 says:

Sounds like a pretty awesome app. I wonder though if you get the same kinda rush playing those games on your phone than at an arcade. Going to an arcade with tons of players is an experience in itself.

11. the arcade games on your phone sounds awesome. im not sure if i’d want to move overseas per say. but i would love to see the sakura blossoms . so to be able to play their booth games without actually traveling sounds great.

12. psylockexmen2012 says:

I only see these game in an anime and movies. I would love to play it and get a stuff toy out of this.

13. I am going to try this when I visit Japan. Yeah even the love hotels too he he.

14. Yehey, this is amazing. I love playing crane games and now its available in an app! Though the experience is not 100% the same, I’m still glad to play it

15. Katlim1214 says:

Japan seems like an interesting place to visit. There are so many places you can go to and things you can do. Going to a Japanese arcade is definitely on my list to complete the experience. It’s not going to be any time soon though, I heard from a friend that it’s quite expensive.

16. b4rnard says:

Saw this video of a guy showing how to hack crane games and I wish to try it myself… and yeah, there’s something about this arcade machine that makes you want to keep playing ’em. Oh the feeling of successfully picking up a freebie!

17. rob3rtow says:

Not really a big fan of Japan but I’d love to check out those world-famous arcades… and their thriving AV industry. 😉 Ha ha ha

As for the app… well, if it’s mindless and fun– I’m in!

18. kulengs says:

Arcade = childhood
    Crane games very addictive so I can’t wait to download this game. Reminiscing while having fun anytime and anywhere without going to Japan.

19. nightcrawlerxmen says:

Whoa you actually played one of these? How was it? Is it easy or as hard as I think it is? Interesting game none the less.