Rin's Room #23: 5 Retro Toys That Are Super Awesome! Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

If you’re like me and grew up sometime in between 1995 and 2000, then chances are there are a bunch of retro toys and games that you’re sorely missing. In fact, I’ve been missing them so much that I’ve started collecting some of ’em again! I’ve kind of…blown my savings (okay, not all of it) finding and hunting for these toys.

#1 Tamagotchi

Tamagotchi image from Pintrest.com. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

image from Pintrest.com

Help me, guys–I now have over 20 tamagotchi in my collection. THIS IS NOT REASONABLE. And did you know that Bandai is actually still releasing tamagotchi? Except now instead of the tiny, black-and-white tamagotchi of our childhood, they’re now egg-sized and are in full-color. That’s right: they’re basically….luxury tamagotchi.

These full-colored little guys go anywhere from $35 in poor condition to $70 for NIP condition… There are so many different versions of these new tamagotchi that I don’t even know the difference! But they are all so cute. The one drawback is that most of them are designed to be pretty “feminine”, so some guys might feel shy about getting one. Don’t be! A lot of my guy friends on Facebook love their tamagotchi and treat them with extra care.

#2 Game and Watch

Game And Watch image from Pintrest.com. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

image from Pintrest.com

So technically, the Game and Watch consoles are from before my time (think 80’s kids) but I’ve also been collecting these lately! The Game & Watch is a line of handheld electronic games that were released from 1980 to 1991.

Now we have handheld consoles like the DS, which support pretty much any DS game that you stick into the slot. But the kids of the olden days had to play on these consoles, which only had one game. So one Game & Watch might be Donkey Kong, and another was Manhole. If you wanted to play other games you either had to buy the specific Game & Watch or borrow it from one of your friends who was luckier than you!

My collection of Game & Watch consoles from Nintendo isn’t very large–it’s only reached about 10. I have a lot more Casio knockoffs (Casio wanted to cash in on the trend and released their own line of Game and Watch type toys, but Nintendo’s quality is wayyy better).

#3 Viewmaster

viewmaster

image from Pintrest.com

Not to brag, but I now have 3 Viewmasters in my collection!

The Viewmaster is a line of stereoscopes and reels that were manufactured by Sawyers. They’ve been around since 1939 and continue to be produced even today, but they’re nowhere near as popular today.

If you aren’t familiar with Viewmasters, you basically take a cardboard reel that has positive images on it, then you pop it into the Viewmaster’s slot. When you look through the lens (it looks kind of like a pair of binoculars) you can see tiny images through them. I’ve inadvertently spent half-an-hour or more getting lost in all the details of the photos! It’s so interesting because the photos almost look 3D.

The most famous Viewmaster design is the red one with the blue handle, but there have actually been over 20 different Viewmaster designs over the years!

#4 Etch a Sketch

EtchASketch

image from Pintrest.com

The Etch A Sketch was invented by a French dude in 1960 and has been in production since then. The inside of the screen is filled with aluminum powder. You turn the knobs in order to move a stylus, which scrapes the aluminum off the glass and produces the dark line you see.

I have one Etch A Sketch but it’s in pretty bad condition–one of the corners popped open and it’s actually leaking aluminum powder. It makes me kind of sad!

If you’ve ever seen Toy Story, then you may remember that an Etch A Sketch made an appearance there. Fun fact: this little cameo helped the Etch A Sketch company survive instead of falling bankrupt. Now that we have smart gadgets, it’s kind of hard to sit still long enough to make those super detailed drawings that we once saw, but there are still some pros out there who create professional works of art with Etch A Sketch!

#5 Polly Pocket

Polly Pocket image from Pintrest.com. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

image from Pintrest.com

Ya girl here is totally weak for Polly Pockets. I actually have just one, and it was a Disney x Polly Pocket release of Aladdin’s Castle. But it’s one of my most favorite toys! I love how portable and simple it is: the creator designed it for his daughter in 1983 from a small powder compact. The toys were licensed by Bluebird Toys from England and sold in stores. But then, in 1999, Mattel bought the rights to Polly Pocket.

Most collectors look for the Polly Pocket toys that were released by Bluebird, because they are more rare and (in my opinion) way better. The quality and colors are just so much nicer! (I love pastel things).

Okay, so those are just 5 of my favorite retro toys–some of these are still being made today, so it’s kind of cool to see how these awesome toys have stood the test of time. And the original toys that were released decades ago are still functioning in my collection today, so hopefully, they’ll be running for decades more. What do you think? Have you ever played with any of these retro vintage games? Tell me your thoughts below!

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

25 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #23: 5 Retro Toys That Are Super Awesome!

1. joseph richards says:

the tamogochi’s,. man i had so many times my pet didnt make it lol. also loved the etch and sketch. hours on end trying to make a picture. still not easy to do a diagonal or a perfect circle.

2. mchesk16 says:

Oh man, I loved the Etch A Sketch. You’re forgetting the most popular toys of our generation; the crazy bones. Before Pokemon took over, everyone was trading and battling their crazy bones toys. They were insanely popular.

3. I had all the toys listed here!!!!!! I wish I kept my polly pocket though. I still play tamagochi but on my phone. ❤

4. charleenmae says:

1995 baby here! I surely miss my tamagotchi. And that sketch too! We used to use it when we play teaching class or role play in a bank. Haha I miss the times when these toys are our gadgets together with pen, paper and outdoors.

I remember all these games! So nostalgic. And that’s such an awesome trivia regarding the Etch a Sketch.

6. valine13 says:

I sure love Tamagochi! I like it so much its very sentimntal.

7. darkkvader says:

ohhh that console and the Polly pocket! I remember that I love playing with it so much! Nostalgic feels.

8. I had the telescope and the tamaguchi back then. Damn I feel old he he.

9. My niece have that sketch pad. She uses it for her art and drawings.

10. moondebi says:

Feeling nostalgic!!
    I didn’t have many from this lot, but possessed Polly Pocket and Etch a Sketch. I played with them for several years before passing them to my cousin. They were still in good condition as far as I could remember. Actually, we did not get several toys to play with. So, whatever, we used to get, handled them with great care.

11. wolfbro92 says:

I’ve seen etch a sketch in some movies before. And it really does look very cool, I would like to own one one day.

12. unvrso says:

The magic sketch was one of the first toys I had. I had lots of challenges trying to draw lines on it and the view master allowed me to watch my favorite images

13. Eleanor15 says:

You might guess my age because I have played all these games when I was younger. I still even have my Viewmaster, 2 sets of Pollypockets and 1 Tamagochi but the battery has run out. I plan to have my daughters play with these in time.

14. Lila says:

Etch a Sketch! I loved that when I was a kid. It was passed on to me by my elder sister and I also passed it down to my brother. Come to think of it most of the games before were quite sturdy. My cousin has still his Viewmaster.

15. thevoiceofpeople says:

Amazing post as it brought so many nostalgic moments of my childhood. Being 1995 kids we had some of the best toys which today’s apps and smartphone games cannot beat. I had Polly pocket for so long until I donated that to an orphanage along with my other toys some years back. Those were the really good old times. Thank you so much for sharing this nostalgic post. 🙂

16. marchaching says:

I’m really hoping to find these toys in stores. These are classic games that I will never ever get tired of. Where can I buy these?

17. These toys never gets old! It’s all my childhood has ever been. Haha. These are treasures of a typical 90s kid. I will never forget.

18. wokerful says:

I´ve had all the toys, except the girl´s toys. I think old toys are durable and worth keeping

19. luffyzorro2012 says:

I have all the toys listed except for the doll house. Technology has grown sine then huh?

20. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

Tamagochi hits home for me. It is like being a father even if the creature is digital.

21. micorobin says:

I still have a copy of the board and paper toy. I use it for sketches and for instructions.

22. I still have my game & watch and the sketch pad. I do not use it anymore but seeing it here makes me proud.

23. angie\ says:

This brings back memories… Had a lot of fun with these toys. they simple to play with and sure bring friends together in real life.

24. grayicemake says:

I had VIEW MASTER before it was with HE- MAN if I am correct. That was big those days.

25. skydragonwendymarvell says:

Despite of being a girl I love boy toys. I had this doll house before but it is just for display.