Rin's Room #21: How's that new Pokemon anime? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Animation. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Remember how the Internet kind of flew into a rage because Brock and Misty were erased from Pokemon history in the latest Pokemon movie? That’s just not okay. Brock and Misty helped make Ash and arguably are two of the most important characters in the series. I’m a little biased because I don’t like a lot of the new characters and I especially don’t like how the cadre of girls around Ash always seems to be changing. I grew up watching Ash, Brock, and Misty travel through Kanto together. I watched them on freakin’ VHS. I can’t imagine a Pokemon world that doesn’t have Brock and Misty–it just isn’t the same. I mean. Imagine living your life without two of your closest, oldest, most influential friends.

Also…Ash + Misty forever! At least, I wish it could be that way. I know Pokemon is a kid’s show, but in my headcanon, I’ve always believed that maybe Ash will finally go back to his roots and be close to Misty instead of traveling with Dawn and May and whoever and whoever. Seriously, what’s up with that, Ash? You’re 10. How do you have so many female companions?

Instead of Brock and Misty in the movie, there are two different characters, with this generation’s characteristic weirdly colored hair. Seems like everyone new in the Pokemon universe has some wild shade of hair.

So these two new characters are named Makoto and Shouji. They’re being released and drawn alongside Ash in the 20th-anniversary promotions, on magazine covers, etc. Even in the movie roster, you’ll see characters like Nurse Joy–but of course, there’s that glaring omission of TWO OF THE MOST IMPORTANT CHARACTERS EVER MADE. It’s just not possible or fair to replace them with two the random kiddos. No offense to these two but how are we supposed to celebrate them when we don’t even know who we are?

Okay, okay. We’ve cleared that up, right? I’m a die-hard fan of the original trio, and I will never ever accept Pokemon’s new characters (at least, not if they’re going to serve as replacements).

Anyways, I haven’t actually been keeping up with the new Pokemon anime. I stopped watching Black White–it’s more…for my brother’s generation. The art looks kind of goofy, and I remember how last year everyone was up in arms about that. Honestly, it seems alright…ish. Different, but different doesn’t necessarily mean “bad” after all.

Here’s the news that makes me excited: I’ve heard through the grapevine that Brock and Misty are planning on appearing in upcoming Sun Moon episodes. Specifically, the episodes airing in Japan on September 14th, and the 21st. In these two episodes, Ash is going to travel back to Kanto and supposedly meet his old buddies.

I might be hoping for too much, but maybe Ash will like it so much there that he’ll decide against leaving and traveling the world and just become a gym leader in Kanto. LOL. This news also raises some interesting questions: if after all this time Brock and Misty still exist, doesn’t that mean that Ash has spent a really extended period traveling to different regions? And doesn’t that mean he should…be older? I dunno, if he took, say, a year to travel with Brock and Misty, and a year for each of the following regions, it seems like he should be a LOT older. At least fifteen or so. But as far as I know, he’s still 10.

I wonder how producers are going to reconcile that if they do at all. Knowing them, they’ll probably just ask us to do some mental gymnastics and accept that time in the Pokemon universe just doesn’t travel the same as it does in ours. Maybe Palkia and Dialga did something funny with space-time? Or maybe…THIS IS JUST ALL A DREAM IN ASH’S HEAD. Maybe people in the Pokemon world aren’t actually humans. Maybe they’re aliens and 1 year of their life equals 7 years of ours. So let’s say they live for 70 years of alien-life. And 1 year of their alien-life = 7 years of our life. Which means that by our schedule they live 490 years. Sounds kind of cool and wacky.

I think that’s my new theory. That’s why Ash hasn’t aged.

Okay! I’m gonna wrap it up here. What do you guys think about the reappearance of our most beloved Pokemon overlords? Do any of you keep up with the new anime? Do you love it? Hate it? Tell me your thoughts below in the comments! 🙂

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

18 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #21: How’s That New Pokemon Anime?

1. charleenmae says:

That’s a good observation! Haha Or maybe he has powers to be young forever. Kidding! I myself am not fond of the new characters
    Still a fan of old school pokemon!

2. kulengs says:

I know how you feel. My kids love to watch the new pokemon anime so even if it’s on the tv, I just don’t watch it. Missing Misty.

3. valine13 says:

I still love the old one. I remember my obsession in playing the games too! It’s crazy I love gameboy and Pokemon.

4. darkkvader says:

Didnt know that there’ new Pokemon now. I wonder why theyre changing the old characters though why? New writer and director? I still love the old ones.

5. marchaching says:

What?? Ash was 10? Lol! I loved pokemon that I bought books consisting pokemon characters. Pokemon was basically my childhood. Everything is just possible with anime, I just wish Ash finds time to look back where he came from.

6. Not up to date anynore with pokemon but I’ve seen little of their latest episodes and confused why Ash is not with Brock and Misty! They were the best trio, what happened Ash?

I agree with you Rin– there’s nothing like the original! I miss Brock and Misty as well and never really warmed up to the other characters after them. I don’t keep up with the newer episodes at all but might check them out for old times’ sake.

8. joseph richards says:

i never understood how ash was always 10. also i stopped watching and playing after the originals. im not a huge fan of the new pokemon or character designs. im sure the kids generation love it (my kids do) but i feel kinda sad to see everything change so much. (would still have been nice to see ash age and maybe have his kids or something pick up the goal)

9. unvrso says:

It would be better to include old and new characters; it would make the game more interisting to some. I love anime characters

10. thevoiceofpeople says:

I love the old Pokemon very much and nothing can beat the classics. I used to watch every episode without fail no matter how hard exam I have got the next day Those were the good times. I love Ash a lot and along with Pikachu, it makes them such a cute duo. I see that the new anime is not fulfilling the expectations and how can they miss two important characters, Brock and Misty. I hope they have all the old characters. Thanks for sharing.

11. mchesk16 says:

The Simpsons characters have been the same age for over two decades. I feel like it’s the same with the Pokémon universe. It’s amazing that the Pokémon phenomenon is still going hard with Pokémon Go and new episodes airing. I wonder how much money those Pokémon cards will be worth twenty years from now.

12. wokerful says:

Some people have seen pokemon since its beginnings and that makes them supporters of the old pokemon, but there are others who demand new characters and for those is probably that pokemon characters have changed. I always prefer the ones that made pokemon a phenomenon

13. I like the fresh update. ❤ I only got started on Pokemon recently and I'm honestly pretty much excited about this.

14. wolfbro92 says:

I have never been a great fan of Pokemon, but it has been pretty popular for decades now. I’m happy to see the series survive for so long.

15. moondebi says:

When people get acquainted with certain characters, it becomes difficult to accept without them around. That has happened to me as well. I, too, am not liking the exclusion of the pair. However, evolution is the essence of these characters. We many not like it, but have to go with the flow. Let’s see, things might work for the betterment of the series.

16. Not that updated with Pokemon but I am a fan of Charizard. Mega Charizard that is!!!

17. I grew up watching Pokemon and I really enjoy watching it however, I am not updated with the latest release and story line. Thanks for sharing this Rin.

18. micorobin says:

The only version that is in my taste is with RED. Ash just bores me.