Game Development and Animations Video Blog

Rin's Room #20: Half-Life 3? Nope. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Let’s just take a moment of silence right now to mourn what might have been Half-Life 3. At this point, I don’t know if it’s ever going to be made. It makes me really sad to hear since Half-Life is such a legendary game. Marc Laidlaw, the lead writer for Half-Life and Half-Life 2, just released this post:

What does this mean?! Someone pointed out that the NDA (non-disclosure agreement) is finished, so this post really might be it. The end of HL3. No more endless hoping for a game that is never going to come out.

This final paragraph is particularly emotional:

And here we are. I spoke of my return to this shore. It has been a circuitous path to lands I once knew and surprising to see how much the terrain has changed. Enough time has passed that few remember me, or what I was saying when last I spoke, or what precisely we hoped to accomplish. At this point, the resistance will have failed or succeeded, no thanks to me. Old friends have been silenced, or fallen by the wayside. I no longer know or recognize most members of the research team, though I believe the spirit of rebellion still persists. I expect you know better than I the appropriate course of action, and I leave you to it. Except no further correspondence from me regarding these matters; this is my final epistle.

It seems like a pretty thinly-veiled reference to Valve and the actual writers–how Mr. Laidlaw no longer recognizes the new faces at Valve but that he notices that same spirit of the rebellion he once had. Guys, I kind of want to cry!

Technically, the whole thing makes sense. The game was released so long ago that it’s almost impossible to expect the finish the game, especially when its original writers and designers are no longer even working at Valve. It’d be like creating this amazing world and universe and then handing it to someone else to finish up–it just wouldn’t be the same.

There are a bunch of hypotheses as to why the game isn’t being developed. HL1 and HL2 redefined the shooter genre, and the games were so innovative and amazing. But it’s 2017 now, and gaming is a little bit different. Maybe they were afraid that HL3 just wouldn’t live up to the expectations, so they decide to can it instead of releasing it.

Half Life won over fifty awards and is widely considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. It has insanely high reviews–for example, it earned 96 out or 100 on Metacritic. It has received critical acclaim from so many different people and websites and is often praised for its immersive experience and how revolutionary it was. It’s the best-selling FPS game of all time on PC so it makes total sense that people would want the story to continue.

HL2 was released in 2004 after five years of development. Considering that extended period of time it definitely makes sense that we would still hold out for a continuation, even after over ten years. The sequel won a bunch of Game of the Year awards – 39 in all. And HL2 received another 96/100 on Metacritic, which is amazing considering that a lot of sequels in media kind of fizzle out and fail.

At the same point, after all this time, it is pretty nice to finally have closure. Or, some semblance of it. It would be nice to have a fan-made version that we could play through and experience, but that sounds like a long shot. I’m glad that Laidlaw delivered something to all the loyal fans who have been waiting patiently for years and years to hear about the development of HL3. I wonder if this means that there won’t be any Half-Life 3 memes anymore. This is like…saying goodbye to a relationship that’s been on the rocks for a few years. We wanted it to end well or to even have a happy ending, but maybe it’s just best for everyone to part ways and remembers the good times. Gosh, what am I doing, romanticizing about a game?

If you haven’t played HL1 and HL2, I definitely recommend it. There’s a reason those are two of the most famous games ever released–they are amazing and just such a joy to play through. Tell me your thoughts–do you think this is the definitive end of HL3? Or are you still holding out some hope?

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

23 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #20: Half-Life 3? Nope.

1. darkkvader says:

Looks like a very cool game! Many players are probably more excited because of the 3rd release.

2. valine13 says:

Never played Half life but a lot have been giving positive reviews about this.

3. Mumarticles says:

I haven’t played HL1 and HL2 but I might try it soon. From what you just pointed out, it is sad that they will not continue it. Better to sell its rights so someone will bring it back to life.

4. stephanie254 says:

I guess it’s true what they say…..Happy endings are for Cinderella and sleeping beauty. So sad we will never lay our eyes on half life 3😩. It’s not hard to understand Mr. Laidlaw though. It’s hard to maintain the same passion and vision founders of a project had when new workers are brought on board😞.

5. Grecy Garcia says:

Maybe they cannot see any future for this game. Maybe they cannot continue this one because they don’t have any idea how to develop it further and creatively. I can feel your disappointments.

6. charleenmae says:

Oh no! This can’t be it. Add new twist bring new ideas. Should let everyone experience such a legendary game. Give the fans something to wait for and not a heartbreak from ending it

7. wolfbro92 says:

Half Life is pretty amazing, eventhough being an old game with the graphics being not so impressive and all. But the main focus of the game was the plot and the gameplay that was simply just amazing. This is sad news.

8. b4rnard says:

Half-Life is one of those games I played back in the day and it was so much fun! To hear this kind of news is sad but I’m still hoping they’d reconsider. Maybe Mr. Laidlaw is no longer hands-on with HL3’s development and has been relegated to a mere consultant, perhaps?

9. edg4r32 says:

I don’t think this cryptic message is the definitive ending of a game/franchise as big as Half Life. At this point, it’s either they sell its rights or set it up for a future re-release. But trust me, this isn’t the end.

10. Albeneth says:

I felt sad to say goodbye Half-Life 3! A game that marked legacy in the industry should have reinvention soon.

It’s definitely sad especially to fans who were waiting for HL3. But good things sometimes come to an end and there are always great, new games to fill in the gap.

12. Half Life and its sequel seem like pretty interesting games. The credentials are really impressive. It’s a shame that there will not be a Half Life 3. Not meet the high exceptions is a possibility considering the legacy it created.

13. mchesk16 says:

Too bad. Maybe all the fans should start a petition to continue the Half Life series. If they pick a reputable game designer, I’m sure he/she could reinvent a good Half Life edition for this day and age.

14. jossey says:

Half Life 1 was the first game i ever played. It really made me love the first person shooting. Half life 2 was even better. Its really sad to learn that Half Life 3will not be released.

15. wokerful says:

I have played HL1 and 2 before and I can say they were worth the try at that time and will probably be today. I¨d like to see not the end but the follow up of this game series

16. Half-life has come a long journey, and it has to be put to rest. It’s taught me so much, really. Back to when I was a young, dumb, and broke kid, it was my go-to game.

17. marchaching says:

I’m really saddened by this news, half-life was like my childhood–not in a violent way. Lol! I loved it but I think no game lasts forever. Wih our fast-growing technlogy, it’s really hard to keep up.

18. thevoiceofpeople says:

It’s kind of sad to hear that there is not going to be the third part because Half life is a wonderful series and I had awesome fun playing them. I can feel your disappointment but the gaming industry is constantly evolving by giving us fun and new exciting games in all the genres. So I appreciate that and I am looking forward to more new games. So don’t worry Rin.

19. I find it so sad that Half life 3 will probably not be making its appearance. The game from its start was amazing but I am thinking it may have indeed ran its course. At least we all still have half life one and two!

20. unvrso says:

With so many new games being developed each day, it´s no wonder that this and other old games are not given lifetime continuation. Maybe there is no more business for them. It´s understandable. As for us gamers, there are too many games from where to point our eyes

21. Rin, you are so funny. I have never read a blog post about a negative review on a game on the first paragraph. Haha!

Love the bluntness.

22. Never played Half Life 1,2 or 3. But, i do enjoy this kind of games – first person shooting. Plus, it’s from valve. A respected Game developer company

23. Lakshya says:

Half life 1 and 2 were amazing! They just took Classic single player shooter games to a different level altogether.. The fiction was smooth! But this certainly sounds the death knell for Half life series.. However hope is a really beautiful thing too!!