Rin's Room #18: 5 Creative Games I Love. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

As a writer and all-around creative person, I absolutely love seeing fresh, original ideas being turned into games. A lot of games suffer from boring, overused plot or really unoriginal characters. Heck, a lot of the games I’ve tried playing during my short lifetime have been uninspired rehashes of other, better games.

#1 Dream Daddy

Image obtained from store.steampowered.com. Presented by Saljack Enterprises LLC.
Image obtained from store.steampowered.com

Okay, the whole “daddy” culture might be getting out of hand a bit, especially if it’s gotten to the point where you can date…hot dads. But I mean, Japan has all those romance games featuring schoolgirls (uhh) and young, pretty women, so why not something for the rest of us? The whole romance-dating-adventure genre thing has definitely existed for a while before Dream Daddy, but I give kudos to Game Grumps for designing an engaging game that definitely made waves in the industry! It’s not every day you get to play as a hot single dad and romance other hot single dads.

#2 Portal

Image obtained from store.steampowered.com

I really loved Portal and Portal 2. I loved both ending songs and tried to sing along with them and learn them. I would walk around in school singing them to myself. Yeah, I wasn’t one of the cool kids. Portal and Portal 2 are two of the most memorable games I’ve ever played, though my heart definitely remains with Portal 1. It was a first-person shooter that didn’t have killing or huge guns–it totally relied on your brain! I loved the mind-bending physics involved. Imagine being able to control distance and gravity in a post-apocalyptic world! And of course, who could forget GLaDOS? She was so annoying but so lovable, and by the time I got to the end of the games I really wished I could have more time with her.

#3 World of Warcraft

Image obtained from us.battle.net. Presented by Saljack Enterprises LLC.

Image obtained from us.battle.net

I remember going with my dad to the store and buying expansion packs for World of Warcraft. Blizzard managed to create an entire world inside of a video game, and in a lot of ways, it definitely felt more real than–well, the real world! It revitalized MMO games and at one point grew so big I’m pretty sure its population exceeded that of a bunch of small countries and states. Unlike a lot of video games where it’s easy to get lost in your own world, WoW forced you to interact and band together if you wanted to actually succeed on quests. It gave nerds a community to belong to!

#4 Cat Mario

Image obtained from youtube.com. Presented by Saljack Enterprises LLC.

Image obtained from youtube.com

There are so so so many Mario games that it seems impossible to list them all! I remember opening this variation of Mario (it’s not from Nintendo) back in high school or middle school, I can’t really remember. I was drawn to its terrible drawings and its insane difficulty! At one point it started trending, too, at my school. There are only four levels in Cat Mario 4 but they’re all crazy complicated, so if you manage to defeat it, do tell me!

#5 QWOP

Image obtained from youtube.com. Presented by Saljack Enterprises LLC.

Image obtained from youtube.com

QWOP was released in 2008 by the Cut Copy bassist Bennett Foddy. You control the limbs of an athlete named Qwop using the Q, W, O, and P keys. This game also managed to go viral! You have to try and finish 100 meters, which is probably impossible because the farthest I’ve gotten is 3 meters. And that was after over 3 hours of trying and failing. I checked the Wikipedia for this game and someone actually won a Guinness World Record for finishing 100 meters in 51 seconds. I don’t understand how that’s even possible! Mr. Foddy said that he even gets hate-mail because he created this game, which makes sense. Think how many hours people waste trying to play or even beat this game, or trying to get to the end and then wiping out at 90 or 95 meters!

#6 The Sims

Image obtained from store.steampowered.com

The Sims is a really weird game that’s notorious for all the crazy glitches and funny things you can do inside it. The game designer, Will Wright, says that he was inspired to create a virtual doll house after he tragically lost his home in a fire. While rebuilding his home and purchasing furniture and trying to get back on his feet, he was inspired to turn his real-life experience into a game. At first, it didn’t get many backers but he brought it to Electronic Arts, who totally loved the idea. This game has broken Guinness World Records (5 in all), including World’s Biggest-Selling Simulation Series and Best Selling PC Game of All Time. It sold 16 million units even though EA initially expected it would sell just 160,000!

Any games you’d like to add to this list? Let us know in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent!

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

28 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #18: 5 Creative Games I Love

1. Albeneth says:

I really love playing The Sims 3. When I play the game I feel like I am personally living in this virtual world- the place where I can achieve my dreams. LOL

2. Jho says:

Worl od Warcraft..there was a time when this game dominates the gaming world..and I’m one of them person who became addicted to it, lol..but as you gets older you prefer the more normal games..So from wowc to the sims LOL.. I find it more interesting now.

3. CharleenM says:

I tried sims too its really an entertaining game. But i guess its the glitches I’m making fun of? Lol i play a lot of online games too and this one game I’m playing is very interactive and incorporate real life events into their events.

4. marchaching says:

I really love simulation games! And on this list I’ve only tried The Sims 3 and can’t simply get enough of it!

5. The SIMS is really an addictive simulation game. I have been playing SIMS since its 1st ever edition. But I find the other games creative as well. Thanks for this list.

6. I love WoW (World of Warcraft)! For me, it is the most creative game in this list.

7. t1na84 says:

“QWOP” for a name? Now that’s what I call creativity! Nvm the sarcasm in my voice HAHA

8. irabrady44 says:

So on Dream Daddy… you’re a hot, single dad dating other hot… single… dads. oh, Oh, OH! Wow, that caught me off guard!!

Is that a landmark game of some sort?

9. unvrso says:

Sometimes, games may seem boring because some of them look the same. But still there is a good chance of finding original games. I agree with your choice of games

10. I think one of these is not like the other haha. As much as I agree with your list, and as much as I also agree that QWOP is a very creative game, I think it’s design is a bit subpar compared to these other games. Great list nonetheless though!

11. wokerful says:

With the great variety of games these days, it´s difficult to have a boring day. There is always one that will mage a gamer´s day

12. joseph richards says:

played WoW and sims3 . Wow definitely was a whole world. and alot of times it as great to escape by playing. I use to make the bushes and groves in sims3 block the sims so they couldnt get to work.

13. Hahaha! I wanna try dream daddy and give into my mild baby daddy fantasies. :))

Yes I love playing sims too! any version. I’m an addict to simulation games!

14. charleenmae says:

Dream daddy caught my attention. I would definitely check this out. I just love games that are not too glitchy and very interactive.

There are so many creative people out there and it’s always awesome to read about games which are unique, even if a bit odd (Dream Daddy). I wasn’t aware of Cat Mario before reading it here but I’m tempted to play it now!

16. adrianfaul7 says:

Creative games and I don’t even see a mention of “Final Fantasy”. Now that’s just sad. Or maybe I’m the only one sad about my fave RPG being overlooked. :-/

17. rob3rtow says:

Topping my list of most creative games would be 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (on Nintendo DS) and, of course, Minecraft! 999 has to be one of the most engaging games I’ve ever tried; I literally couldn’t put it down for days! And it doesn’t even boast of excellent graphics or interactivity, just plain ol’ plot. And Minecraft? Do I even need to explain this one? LOL

18. frankie806 says:

I never thought that Japan would create a dating game for dads (and wannabes) who’d like to date dads. Props to the creator of the game. I wanna be a hot dad too. haha

19. akira851 says:

cat mario 4 is like the craziest! Im not gonna say its a poor mock up of the mario bros game but will definitely try this just to kill time!

20. wolfbro92 says:

The Portal series has always been a favorite of mine. The game is something that I would recommend all to play it.

21. valine13 says:

Cat Mario! Looks like a cute game!

22. darkkvader says:

Ive known Sims since I was a kid. It’s really a good simulation game.

23. califrank says:

I normally steer clear of games like Cat Mario (or any insanely difficult games) because I’ve got a short fuse and I’d prolly throw my laptop (or gaming console) out the window. haha! #TrueStory

24. teddclark58 says:

I really don’t get why a lot of the folks I know love Sims (or Second Life even). Have we become too bored to live our own lives?

25. I love playing Sims unfortunately, I don’t have enough storage to sustain it so, yeah I need to delete it to free up some space.

26. b4rnard says:

Been seeing a lot of creative video games lately and you bet Rin’s list is but a tip of the iceberg. So much more out there, especially in mobile gaming category. 🙂

27. bebesherman1214 says:

My top 5 list of most creative games would mostly be RPG, namely (in no particular order):

1. Pokemon (GB)
    2. Skyrim
    3. Starcraft Brood War
    4. Diablo III
    5. DoTA

#JustSharing

28. Grecy Garcia says:

The daddy game is what keeps my interests. It reminds me of a certain movie in Hollywood that two daddies are sharing life. They are exchanging life everyday. Where can I download this one? is this for free?