Rin's Room #13: Discord. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hello, everyone! Today I’m just going to rave and give a short introduction about a messaging app you all might have heard of: Discord.

Discord is a free VoIP app that was designed for gamers and launched on March 6th, 2015. So two years ago. Its stable release was just three months ago, on May 3rd, 2017. The founder of Discord initially started with OpenFeint, a gaming platform designed for mobile games. He sold it in 2011 and founded a game dev studio in 2012 with the money, developing it to be the first MOBA game for mobile devices. It wasn’t very popular, but while preparing the game, he realized how difficult it was to communicate to his friends and employees with the current options. I remember that when I was a regular League player, my friends either used Skype or TeamSpeak, which were laggy, bloated and have been plagued with security issues. Plus their design is just so outdated! In contrast, Discord is fresh, sleek, and beautiful. It definitely fits in with current design trends.

The lack of reliable VoIP services is what inspired Jason Citron (the founder) to create Discord. If you’re active on Reddit, then you’re probably familiar with the phenomenon known as the “Reddit hug of death.” Basically, Reddit’s audience is so massive that if a post there goes viral, it can cause servers to crash because so many Redditors are trying to see the site at the same time.

If you can make the Reddit community fall in love with a program or website, you’ve hit the jackpot. (I’m on Reddit almost all the time and Reddit really is super-influential on the Internet. For example, so many viral posts from online publications are basically just Reddit comments that someone took a screenshot of and turned into a listicle. I’m kind of salty about that, idk). Anyways: Citron pushed Discord to different Reddit gaming communities, and that strategy actually paid off: gamers were switching en masse from their old VoIP services to Discord.

Discord was designed for gamers. It’s usable on PCs, the web, and even on phones. Since it’s designed to work with massive games, it has to be quick and lightweight. A few seconds of lag can completely turn around the outcome of a game, especially for collaborative games where communication is essential. Discord has plans to add video calling and screen sharing within the app, making it even better and usable for–everyone.

The beautiful thing about Discord is that it’s totally free to use. You don’t have to pay to call anyone or send things or make groups. You can make and join as many groups as you want! I guess if you wanted to create 100 different servers you could, but I don’t know what you would use them for.

When I heard that, I actually felt kind of bad for the company because it seems a bit difficult to make a profit, but apparently they’re planning to have monetized customization. You can pay to have an animated profile photo, a special badge, and custom emojis. Discord is a really fantastic app–in my opinion, it’s way better than Skype, TeamSpeak, and other services I’ve used.

Now—I actually first heard of Discord from my writer friends who used it to create a writing club. And that’s what’s so amazing about Discord. It’s not just for gamers anymore. It’s been adopted and touted by so many communities as the best place to meet online. I love all the features. It’s nice being able to react to something people say with different emojis, and I love how you can separate different conversations within one group. For example, in my writing group, there’s are different channels like “bios” for introduction, “self-promotion” to share published work, and “inspiration”, where we can add quotes or posts we found on the Internet that really encourage our craft. I’m in another group for tarot, too. Games like PAD, which I talked about in another post, also have a dedicated Discord server for gamers to join and discuss the game.

It’s crazy to think about how far we’ve come regarding forming communities online. We went from Friendster and Myspace to Facebook and finally to Discord, which is way better than group messages on iPhones with all their crazy notifications! I hope that businesses will also turn to Discord in the future because it’s just so seamless and clean and user-friendly. I used Slack for a while and for some reason I just liked Discord more.

Anyways–what do you think about Discord? Have you downloaded it for your PC? I hope that it’ll be around for a long time and that it’ll become an industry standard!

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

24 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #13: Discord

1. unvrso says:

IN the present, there are many apps for everyone just about everything. I haven´t tried discord, but if it´s a free app, I will probably try. One can learn something new from trying apps

2. Maury Cheskes says:

Looks like the premium tool for communication online. If it sparks interest, I’m sure there will be many competing industries that will try and upscale the program.

3. Yeah I use this app when I play with friends on Steam. It’s so awesome. I only found out about it recently when a friend introduced me to the app. It’s the best. I used to use Skype but now it’s discord.

4. lakshya1503 says:

Did hear about Discord when it came out. But like most others went on reviews and didn’t use it.But yeah if its free and worth a shot , y not use it.. It’s always good to be spoiled for choices!!

5. I heard about this before I think. Will look into it more as I am a gamer myself.

6. frankie806 says:

It’s about time for gamers to have a VOIP platform. Excited to try the app. And the best thing about it is that it’s for free! Yahooo!

7. sansnomph says:

I’ve been using this ever since it was launched. I loved that it’s easy to use and that it’s also for free. Must try for gamers!

8. Laurice says:

I think the app is worth a try. Haven’t heard of this till now. If it’s better than Skype, it sparks my curiosity.

9. miakayuuki2012 says:

II have not encountered DISCORD yet. However, I do not mind trying it out. I would like to see what this system is all about.

10. I don’t think I will use Discord because, there are already applications out there that offers the same service as Discord.

11. micorobin says:

If I can find apps that can pretty much do the same then I will stick to that rather than this unfamiliar thing. However , I may try it not just not now.

12. hebrewisraelitesblog says:

I think that its a great PC game but I have not downloaded it as yet. I like this messaging app but I don’t know much about it. Thanks for the history lesson on this app. This app seems like a good app.

13. sixhart says:

I haven’t heard of the app before but I will surely recommend this to my gamer friends. It’s cool they make an app for gamers like this.

14. valine13 says:

Looks like a good app! For sure gamers will definitely try it.

15. valine13 says:

Looks like a good app! For sure gamers will definitely try it.-

16. darkkvader says:

It’s good that even gamers have their own platform for themselves.It would be a very good community then and also updating news about games.

17. Didn’t know about it. The post watch informative. Thanks.

18. hebrewisraelitesblog says:

I think discord is a great app not only for gamers but for other people. I will give it a try on my PC.

19. alexsummers123 says:

I think I will stick to Skype for now since it has the same function. Besides my family is use to it so changing systems now is a hassle.

20. luffyzorro2012 says:

I am planning to sign up to this. Primarily because I want a medium for all my gaming stuff.

21. Penseur says:

Personally this is the first time I hear about discord. But in my opinion reddit sometime can be bias in giving rating and sometimes too hard. I am really like to download this game, it seem fun to play.

22. JansenS says:

I haven’t used DIscord yet in my gaming but i will definitely give this a shot. This article gave me an idea how this new messaging have the potential to enhance communication within the gaming platforms.

23. wolfbro92 says:

My pals have been asking me to join Discord for ages. At first I was reluctant, but after I tried that app, it all worked absolutely well. The line was just much clearer than voice call in Steam.

24. Discord seems like an interesting app, but since I don’t play games that require communication from anyone. Therefore, I don’t need this for gaming. I do think that it might be good for VoIP and messaging. I downloaded before finish reading this article. I’ll see if it is enough to replace Whatsapp.