Rin's Room #10: Netflix vs. Disney Showdown. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Have you heard the news? The CEO of Disney, Bob Iger, announced recently that all of Disney’s movies are going to be pulled from Netflix by 2019. This means that Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar films are not going to be on Netflix anymore! If you’re reading from the United States, you’ll still be able to watch the movies until the end of 2019. Disney films that come out through the end of 2018 will also still be watchable.

Disney’s reason for doing this is apparently because it wants to start its own streaming service! Do you remember in 2016 when Netflix first started carrying Disney movies? The very first movie that you could watch was Captain America: Civil War. After that, Star Wars movies began popping up, as well as Doctor Strange. Soon, all of these movies will be moved off Netflix and onto Disney’s still-unnamed service.

According to Disney executives, the platform will stream both Disney films and other Disney properties. For example, did you know that ESPN is owned by Disney? Yeah, I didn’t know that either. This means that there’ll be something for everyone. Disney has created some of the most famous movies and media in the world (that’s an understatement), so any streaming content that provides Disney media in one place is sure to be big news.

This is fantastic news for me because it means I’ll have one place to watch all of my favorite movies. Almost all of my favorite movies were produced by Disney, which says a lot about how amazing and strong it is as a company. Doesn’t binge-watching princess movies all night sound fantastic? And the week after that, you can do a Marvel movie marathon, one excellent movie after the other. And the week after THAT, you can watch all the Star Wars movies!

A lot of movies are being released by Disney in the next year. Some of these include Black Panther, Mary Poppins Returns, the live-action Mulan movie, Thor: Ragnarok, and The Incredibles 2. All of these movies sound amazing, and luckily, you’ll still be able to watch them all on Netflix as long as they’re not delayed into 2019. Some movies that won’t make it to Netflix include the life-action Dumbo movie, Frozen 2, the live-action Lion King movie, and Avengers 4. There’s also the fact that Marvel and Netflix are still collaborating to make TV shows like The Defenders, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Daredevil.

Some people have been asking: well, is this going to ruin Netflix? After all, some of Netflix’s best content is from Disney. There’s a good chance a lot of Netflix subscribers will switch to Disney. In fact, because of the announcement, Netflix stock fell by over 2%. But you have to remember: Netflix makes a lot of amazing TV shows on its own. Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things and House of Cards are all Netflix-produced shows that aren’t going away. Stranger Things has been rocking the tv show boat for quite some time with its wild, interesting story. David Letterman also signed with Netflix to make a show. To compete, Netflix just might make more shows and add content more aggressively.

Netflix just announced that it was acquiring a comic book label, Millarworld. This means it has a lot of new comic books to adapt into movies and TV series. I’m sure in the next few years it’s going to become an all-out content war, as Netflix, Disney, and other companies battle it out to create the best movies and TV shows. Disney’s got it good because instead of relying on TV channels to distribute their holdings, all they have to do is release it onto their platform. It takes out the middleman and further consolidates their empire. Who do you think will win? Netflix already has over 100 million subscribers in 190 countries around the world. If Netflix became a country, it would be larger (population-wise) than the UK. That’s insane. Netflix’s advantage is that it already has a platform, so all it has to do to keep succeeding and diversify and create more content. If it can keep producing hit shows like House of Cards and Stranger Things, as well as movies like Okja, then it should have no problem surviving well into the future.

Where do you think Disney and Netflix will be five years down the road? For now, Disney is still the clear king of movies and tv shows: the name almost guarantees high-quality, great stories, and amazing art. But Netflix’s name is slowly growing bigger and better too. I’m not sure who to root for right now. What’s your take on the battle?

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, AND IT’S STAFF, AND ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

27 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #10: Netflix vs. Disney Showdown

1. This is a clear contest for me. DEFINITELY, NETFLIX. Netflix has original series and it easily available. You can watch it everywhere and the data providers here in the Philippines also support it.

2. ESPN is owned by Disney. Cool, I didn’t know it.

I’ve always loved Disney so my vote goes to them. But I see all of these changes as good and it’s awesome to have a healthy competition here and there.

4. I love Netflix. I’m more into the adult audience. 🙂

Disney’s a bit too clean for me.

5. unvrso says:

I love Disney movies and I think this was the best move for Disney. Competition is good, as it allows producers to make more quality TV and Movie productions.

6. 34kristi says:

Disney’s upcoming streaming service will come out swinging but it won’t be enough to usurp Netflix’s throne. Disney’s streaming price points have to be as competitive.

7. t1na84 says:

This is defo some exciting piece of news, Rin! Glad you shared this with us… because now we know that a much-better streaming service could be on its way. I can’t wait to see how this story goes!

8. hebrewisraelitesblog says:

I like this info but I hope that they can provide the same level of service or better. It is a good thing to have all your favourite movies in one location as you mentioned. Customers will also benefit because of the competition between these two companies.

9. How can you access Netflix? I think for now I am on Disney but I am not counting Netflix out. In fact, I am interested.

10. micorobin says:

NETFLIX has been tearing it up this past few years. I would love to suscribe to them if it is available in my area.

11. Well, I love both Netflix and Disney. I would not fault Disney for wanting its own streaming services. However, it does not mean that I will leave Netflix just because Disney pulled out. Netflix is already a gem on its own.

12. Grecy Garcia says:

This blog post gave me lots of information about live movie streaming. I don’t know that ESPN was owned by Disney. Thanks for sharing this one. I am not saddened by the news, but I am looking forward for Disney movie streaming site.

13. When it comes to ” STREAMING” Netflix is more adept to it than DISNEY so in this battle I am leaning towards NETFLIX. However, I will not count DISNEY out yet.

14. Om Korek says:

It’s quite a sad story for me because I’m a great fan of NETFLIX and DYSNEY. I have to subscribe to two content providers. Sounds like a bit spending money. But deep down, have you ever think this is might a marketing trick to gain subscriber massively from two content provider. It’s trend lately a company merger to other company. Both will have subscriber all around the world without loosing their subscriber at all. But, out of those speculation, I love both!

15. Netflix all the way. DISNEY Is too kiddy for me. I enjoy the movies yes but the shows are less to be desired.

16. valine13 says:

I like Disney before and until now. But Netflix is what I want since they have a lot of super interesting shows with different genres.

17. darkkvader says:

Netflix! I love the movies and series that they offer. So many options to choose from!

18. frankie806 says:

I’d say that Netflix is still a baby but the company is growing too fast. In five years time, they could be head to head with Disney, or could even be bigger. Netflix caters to a broader set of audience. But i love both!

19. luffyzorro2012 says:

The only DRAWBACK I have with Netflix is it is not available in my area. With that said, I am team DISNEY for now at least.

20. alexsummers123 says:

Netflix wins this!!! For one their line up of programs are wider compared to DISNEY which is for kids. NETFLIX is more on a grownups side.

21. Eleanor15 says:

I grew up with Disney and my kids grew up with Disney so it’s definitely the more trusted one. But we can’t deny that Netflix is the upcoming online streaming company.

22. sienna.t says:

I admire both companies. Yes Disney is more experienced and we all grew up with the movies but Netflix caters to a broader audience and they have more variety on what they offer.

23. I want to experience NETFLIX full on. However, It is not easily available. Disney on the other hand is.

24. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

DEpends on Taste. If kids are on the house then Disney but if I am alone NETFLIX. Why choose if I can have both.

25. Disney leaving Netflix is big news. If there is a competition, though, I believe Disney would be victorious. All Disney need is to have their own platform for their streaming service. It seems to me that they already have majority of the viewers. Therefore, when the time comes, I expect many to use both, but there will be a bias towards Disney’s side.

26. kittyprydexmen says:

It is definitely a huge gamble for Disney. Hopefully it does not blow up to their faces. Come on there is nothing broken why leave?

27. nightcrawlerxmen says:

I think it is an issue of money. If not why disrupt a win win solution? Bad move for Disney though.