Rin's Room #6: Three Games with Super-Intense Character Creation. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Alright, admit it. How many hours do you spend on the “design-your-character” screen whenever it pops up in games?

My answer: at least 3

I might be under exaggerating there. When I was in middle school, I spent a whopping four-and-a-half hours designing my Mii avatar for the Wii.

Seriously…. Who does that? What’s the point?

Ha, only losers would spend that much time creating their avatar. (I say this, but then I turn around and spend more hours designing my character in various games. Let’s say it together: hypocrite!). If you’re like me, you’re probably addicted to the sweet, sweet torture of agonizing over every single freaking detail possible.

So, without further ado, here are three games that have some of the most intense character creation ever:

Saints Row 2

The first game in the Saints Row series was first released in 2006. It’s a series of action-adventure games based in an open world and tells the story of the Third Street Saints, a local gang. The stories are very witty, chock full of obscure pop culture references and parodies. It’s one of the best-selling game franchises of all time!

So, what makes character creation in Saints Row 2 so special? It has the most customization freedom in the series. The subsequent titles also kept a lot of the customizability, but Saints Row 2 is unique in that it lets you control weight distribution and even body size. That means you won’t have to stick to pre-determined body types and can actually make your own! On top of that, you can give your character different hair, facial hair, and makeup styles regardless of the gender you choose. Talk about trailblazing!

Black Desert Online

How terrifying does that Bart Simpson look? Black Desert Online is an MMORPG that has some pretty great ratings (7/10 on Steam and 8.1/10 on MMORPG.com). It was released in 2014  by Korean developers and is B2P (buy to play) in Europe and North America.Fun fact: the game devs designed their very own “Black Desert” game engine specifically for this game. Because the world is so massive and there are very busy and hectic castle sieges, they needed an engine that was robust enough to handle everything.

The game takes place in a fantasy setting and focuses on the war between the Republic of Calpheon and the Kingdom of Valencia. Valencia is spiritual and contains the Black Desert, which holds black stones that can be sold for large sums. Calpheon doesn’t have any black stones, so they try to steal from other nations, including Valencia. This results in a large-scale conflict. However, that’s not what we’re here for today. This game’s character creation tool is so surprising that they released a standalone version of it that you could download for free. Imagine seven gigabytes of data just for a character creator.

You can change the face shape and other features, even controlling the pupil shape and color. There is almost no body part that can’t be edited, resized, or even deleted (you can make certain body parts transparent!).

Final Fantasy XV

Now for the last stop on our list: Final Fantasy XV. Final Fantasy is the legendary fantasy-slash-science-fiction game and franchise that was first released in 1987 by Square Enix. This game is older than I am! They just announced a multiplayer beta, which is actually what inspired this post! The expansion pack is titled “Comrades” and lets you create a character and team up with other people online. The original game was released at the end of 2016 and has sold over 6 million copies worldwide. You’ll need to have the original game to play it.

There are a few short quests that you can play through, but the most exciting feature of the beta is being able to do insane customization on your character. You can design face tattoos and even width of your jaw! Another feature is being able to combine the elements of two “parent” characters so that your resulting avatar will have a combination of both. You can even wear a chicken suit, though I don’t know how practical that would be.

The weird thing is that this game was released as a single-player RPG nine months ago. Why would it be getting multiplayer DLC all of a sudden? Maybe they’ll introduce some sort of micro-transaction system where you can buy different features for your avatar.

So, how do you like these character creators? I know I love them. But hey, I was excited when I found out that you could change some small aspects of your appearance in Pokemon Sun and Moon, too. I love customizing characters! I don’t know what’s so addicting about it.

What about you? Are there any games with absolutely fantastic character creators that I’ve missed? Let us know in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent?

Click here to read Rin Fizzle’s profile

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

20 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #6: Three Games with Super-Intense Character Creation

1. Fallout 4’s character creation system is pretty extensive, especially if you include what is possible through the mod communitty.

2. grayicemake says:

Character creation is a big factor to motivate players to play the game. If I make a character that looks like me I will be happy.

3. July Mintz says:

One of the best things about games nowadays is that you get to customize your character in a game. There’s so much to do in terms of costumes, moves or powers and their weapons. Makes gaming more exciting!

4. shootergamer says:

I love character creation! When I play a game this is one of the parts I enjoy because I like perfecting the costume, the look and the powers of my character! I am a girl but I sometimes my character is a guy. Game characters are flexible that way.

5. titanierza says:

I choose the FF franchise in this list. THe others look straight up weird.

I can’t remember a game I played that has that much in-depth character creation (temple spacing, really?). I could see the allure though. There’s nothing more satisfying than creating a character with a unique look and just screams you.

7. I remember making my own character in the Sims, wow it took me 5 hours to make my character and my family. I love games that allow me to make my own character as I can relate to it while playing. 🙂

8. valine13 says:

i like Final Fantasy a lot. I love the characters I love how it’s done. You’re right about that being intense. It’s so close to reality.

9. darkkvader says:

The developers are really making it look like it’s easy so wow. I want to experience being able to do this too.

10. 34kristi says:

I hope you just missed out on The Sims here, Rin. In terms of character creation, it takes you ages coming up with a Sims character you can call your own! Took me a couple of hours, admittedly… but hey, I loved every minute I was customizing my character!

11. finley001 says:

Being able to customize your character in-depth has its allure, sure.. but too much of it takes away from the game’s “real” action. Unless you’re playing some hardcore RPG titles like FF, you’d rather have other genres not take you too long from the main event. Two cents.

12. unvrso says:

CUstomizing characters makes a game more appealing. I did it several times with a site. I created my own avatar, chosing from different characters and customs. It looked great in the end

13. amaterasu123 says:

Character creation I do not wanna say so overly vital but let us just say it spices up the game. Some people tend to spend hours in customizing than the the actual game itself.

14. micorobin says:

That the same thing happened to me lol. I spent hours customizing that at the end my rent went out before I can play. I am doing it on an internet hub after all.

15. JansenS says:

I customized character before on NBA Live before. You got the chance to customize your own player. The idea is great because it will be a more personal approach while you are enjoying your game.

16. hebrewisraelitesblog says:

Thanks for the post, I never really knew they created these characters. I liked the last video but I will have to do some more research into character creation. I know some of these characters are based on people or Gods in some cases.

17. wolfbro92 says:

When I was customizing my character in The Elder Scrolls : Skyrim, it also took me at least an hour or so, not too long I suppose when compared to you haha. But i really understand why you take that long, its cause we want the character to resemble us as much as we want, or at least resemble the face we want it to have.

18. theanimemindofrajae says:

Going through the article was actually fun. I got introduced to character creation in gaming that I didn’t even believe existed. Such things include the voice and gesture alterations. What surprised me mostly was the immense details given to dimensions of the face. In conclusion, I was educated.

19. skydragonwendymarvell says:

Wow the previous comment is deep he he. I agree on the whole PERSONAL TOUCH THING. There is always inside us that wants us to create things at our own image. We cannot do it in reality so why not in games?

20. To be honest I do not care as much as I do with gameplay and story as suppose to CUSTOMIZATION. At the end of the day it all boils down to solid story telling not just how a character looks.