Have you heard of the new dating simulator game Dream Daddy? It came out earlier this month and topped the charts of steam when it did. Not only on Steam, but it also beat out Overwatch’s nine-month reign as the most popular game on Tumblr, according to their fandometrics page. That’s quite a feat for a dating sim! Not just any dating sim either—Daddy on Daddy dating. Yep, that’s right. You are a Dad looking for love from all the other hunky dads in town. Unarguably the gayest game of the year and everyone absolutely loves it.
Here is a little trailer to whet your appetite:
Now, normally I’m not into dating sims much, but I’ve enjoyed anticipating this one the same as everyone else. There is just so much to love! Hunky dads, touching moments, the overall cute factor and wholesomeness of it all. You might laugh, you might cry, you might not be able to walk away from these characters.
The game starts with your teenage daughter waking you up while you’re spooning moving boxes. You obviously need something better to cuddle. Before you can do anything else you get to create your very own dad (or dadsona). You get to choose body shape, skin color, hair, eyes, glasses, piercings, clothing, and etcetera. Next, you pick a name and get to choose the gender of your ex. Reminiscence with your daughter a few moments before moving to your new dadtastic neighborhood, Maple Bay.
There are seven hunky dads you can spend time with on Dream Daddy:
- Brian: A competitive, burly red head who enjoys fishing and grilling. He’s tall and has a full beard making this dad a total bear. He loves to brag about his genius daughter in an endearing way. Seems likely he’s an overachiever as well if you take one look at his landscaping.
- Mat: This dad is hip! He loves music, baking, and sports a full arm tattoo. How can you not like that? You find him at the local coffee shop, that he owns. Free high-quality coffee for life? Okay Mat, I think we need to spend some time together.
- Joseph: Or how I like to call him “Preppy Joseph”. He’s blonde, fit, and has a sweater wrapped around his shoulders. He’s the youth minister at the nearby church and married with four kids! Woah! Funnily he’s married to Mary and has multiple kids named Chris(t). Luckily for our love starved dad, Joseph in an unhappy marriage and both him and his wife want to be with others.
- VegaHugo: or Mr. Vega, is the English teacher at your daughter’s school. He’s a history lover and bookworm, you can tell by his jacket, vest, and bow tie. Hugo has a hugo mustache and enjoys literary puns. He also reaches out to you when he thinks your daughter is struggling. Aww, makes you want to bring him home.
- Craig: is an enthusiastic fitness fanatic and is your dad’s old college roommate! “Keg-Stand Craig” (as you used to know him in college) is just divorced and has matured nicely since you knew him last. However, you’re going to have to fight off moms with a bat. They practically throw themselves at his feet while he couches softball.
- Damien: Hunky goth dad, Damien. Long dark hair, black fingernails, and is that a… Yes, it’s a cape. He’s not just into the Victorian era and black, he’s also a gardener with a lot of knowledge about flowers. I just so happen to love flowers, so I’ll forgive him for wearing a cape.
- Robert: The cool, bad boy. The game needed one and we get Robert. He’s a loner with a leather jacket. Usually, he’s pretty quiet but don’t let that stop you from hooking up with him within minutes of meeting! He’s got dark shaggy hair, permanent stubble and a trouble past. What else do you need to know? What, you do want to know more? Well grab some tissues, this poor guy is just one of the dads with a sad, troubled past.
Who would you want to spend time with first? My first pick would be Joseph, because of the whole “but I have a wife” dilemma. I know he’ll eventually find my dadsona too sexy to keep saying no to!
When this game came out, it was immediately noticed that there were some issues. Gender pronouns being misused, grammatical errors, a few bugs. Well this past Sunday (July 30th), they updated the game and got rid a lot of those annoying issues. They also added in a new minigame for one of the dates.
What people still want is some more variety in character creation. There are only three body types to choose from, for instance, and it would be nice to have a little more variety. There also needs to be some kissing scenes according to a lot of people. I think my little heart would give out on me if there were kissing scenes. I can only handle so much excitement!
This game was popular fast and when the release time got pushed back mere hours, there was out-roar! However, I think if you haven’t gotten Dream Daddy yet–and can manage to wait for a little longer–you should wait till this game goes on sale. It’s $14.99 on Steam right now and most people agree it, would be better priced a little lower.