Rin's Room #1: Wolfenstein - The New Colossus. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hi everyone!

Do you guys remember the Wolfenstein games that first came out in the 80s? Maybe not. Seriously, that franchise is older than some of us here. Or almost all of us.

You might not remember the very first games in the series! But you might remember Wolfenstein: New World Order, which was released by Bethesda in 2014. It’s playable on the PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and on PC. It received crazy good ratings (it’s sitting at 9/10 on Steam and was reviewed at a 7.8 by IGN). If you don’t remember, here’s a quick refresher: it’s a first person shooter game that follows BJ Blazkowicz’s struggle against the Nazis. It’s set in a fictional world where the Axis Powers won World War II (spooky, right?).

Okay, maybe I’m giving too much away! If you haven’t played the game, you should definitely download it, because it is amazing and almost everyone who plays it raves about it. Apparently, the game’s story line is one of the best in the FPS category.

Anyway, before I bore you too much, let’s get to the topic of today’s post. Bethesda just released a trailer for the sequel! (Okay, maybe not “just released.” It was posted on Youtube on July 27th). It’s called Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus. And it looks amazing! It’s going to be released on October 27th, so three months from now. You can watch the trailer here:

It’s called Strawberry Milkshake because in the scene they show us, the German officer asks for one at the counter. The first thing I noticed while watching the trailer is the absolutely amazing animation quality. Seriously, everything looks amazing. There are a lot of early walkthroughs that have also been posted to Youtube. Bethesda actually announced this sequel at E3, but they released the trailer two days ago for the rest of us who couldn’t make it.

So, what’s going to be in this game? What’s so great about it?

Basically, it continues the story from the first game, and it set in 1961. The USA has been taken over by the Nazis, and BJ and his resistance are trying to start another revolution. Some of the changes from the previous game include giving BJ more personality. The developers said that they wanted to make him more relatable so that players don’t just pretend to be him but really feel like they are him.

Mechanics: you’ll be able to hold two weapons at once and even use a hatchet when you want to hack away at Nazis. It’s been slated for release on three different platforms: Windows, PS4, and Xbox One. One of the best parts about playing a game is discovering the world it’s set in: that’s one of the reasons Skyrim was so popular. The world in Wolfenstein: TNO is just as amazing. There are robots and rockets and Nazi robots, and it’s amazing and kind of terrifying at the same time.

Gameplay: One of the most important parts, let’s not forget! Usually, with FPS games you get all the weapons at the start, and you mainly just look for ammunition along the way. But in TNO you have to actually build your weapons arsenal. You can choose which weapons to use and which mode to fire them on. And of course; don’t forget the easter eggs. Performing certain actions during a battle can help you unlock different weapons. There are also hidden chambers and rooms for you to find, and puzzles to solve which unlock new game modes. Easter eggs are some of my favorite parts of video games because of the rush I get after unlocking them!

I’m excited about this game because Wolfenstein: New World Order did what no other FPS game could: it made a first-person-shooter game memorable. It defies categories: not just an FPS but an action-adventure. Usually, FPS games are just a bunch of “SHOOT STUFF BUT IN DIFFERENT PLACES.” But in Wolfenstein, you feel so connected to the main character. The story is amazingly strong, and the characters have an actual personality. I would recommend the Wolfenstein games if you’re a sci-fi or history nerd, a shooter game aficionado, or someone who just wants to play a game they can actually relate to and enjoy. I’m looking forward to buying the new game! I’ve been binge-watching the walkthrough game plays, and I can’t get over how beautiful and engaging the game looks.

How do you feel about the Wolfenstein games? Which ones have you played in the past? Does the new one look like a game you’d be interested in? Tell me your thoughts in the comments!

Rin_Fizzie_Signature

27 thoughts on “Rin’s Room #1: Wolfenstein – The New Colossus

1. miakayuuki2012 says:

Okay, first impressions! What is up with these guys? I assume it is an action game but with this shot. It is hard to think that.

2. micorobin says:

From the looks of this it is a War game. HOw will it stack up against its predecessors? We will just see.

3. Of course I remember Wolfenstein. It used to be one of my favorites. And thanks for the update as usual. Checked it…

4. I will check this game out of curiosity. I could use a game like this. I miss it really.

5. beastxmen2012 says:

Can I see a full Let us play review? It can help me decide to play this or not. Thanks

1. rinfizzie says:

of course! here’s one by outsidexbox on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFMcXfpbiI
      and a longer one by Arekkz Gaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwLWHBgcOY
      definitely looks pretty dark, but what war game isn’t? i love how on-point the acting is, and of course all these crazy animations 😀

6. You know the Wolfenstein franchise has come a long way. Back when I was still a kid and it’s still going strong until now. Such nostalgia. ❤

Would pick this up and bring back the exciting memories- only in modern form.

1. rinfizzie says:

definitely! it always gives me a rush to see how the games i played as a kid have progressed! the graphics, the acting, the gameplay: all of these innovations make my favorite games so much more amazing, though of course there are things that the older games are better at doing. it’s crazy to think about how different this generation’s experience with wolfenstein is compared to ours!

7. My brother seems to be playing this before. I like the narrative and the creative use of introduction to start the game story. It shows a clear picture of what is to come. The animation is spot on and I like how people are well rendered too.

8. joyceshares says:

This looks intense. I like the character’s point of view and seems like I will learn some German stuff if I play this

9. The graphics of this games is amazing and creative, the name is also catchy and has a very strong message.

10. bebesherman1214 says:

Whoa! The graphics is amazing and the gameplay is immersive!! Thanks for sharing this, Rin. That sequence got me scared, alright!

11. roddyw says:

I’ve played Wolfenstein 3D back in ’93 and been a fan since. The title sure brings a lot of memories.. so for the nostalgic value alone, I’d pick this game anytime! I have to admit that the game has evolved so much. In fact, the clip got me all “uh-oh, he’s screwed.” This is dope!

12. unvrso says:

Being a fan of action and adventure games, it won´t take too long for me to immerse into the excitement that this game offers. It´s good to have old games again, Even though, some people consider them out of fashion, they still can bring up the excitement

13. grayicemake says:

Now This game has my attention. I just have to outgrow the faces of these guys. I Cannot take them seriously to be honest.

14. skydragonwendymarvell says:

Do not judge a game without playing first my friend. For all we know it could be a diamond in hiding.

15. lakshya1503 says:

The trailer certainly dosen’t have anything old about it. Looks amazing! Pretty life-like. Superior graphics..Can’t wait to get my hands on this one! Great review yet again..

16. patpat22 says:

Whoa!! This feels like a déjà vu. The New Order that was released in 2014 was amazing. I think the touching story and the intense action made The New Colossus more engaging.

17. pattyindi says:

The game has evolved pretty well from The New Order. Fantastic character work, storytelling, world-building, everything about it makes it more interesting. This is really something to look forward to.

18. valine13 says:

Good to give it a shot! The plot is interesting. Looks like a game to look forward to!

19. darkkvader says:

Nice trailer! Looks like a lot of game fans are interested in this game!

20. luffyzorro2012 says:

The trailer is a bit too short or underwhelming. However gameplay seems smooth. At least that is a plus in the game.

21. alexsummers123 says:

I agree the trailer is a little bland. I prefer to see more of the gameplay as suppose to that bar scene.

22. sansnomph says:

I had no regrets playing this game. Like you said, I really felt connected to the main character. Thumbs up to this game! Wolfenstein rocks!

23. RITZ says:

Not a fan of video games but may boyfriend is a real gamer, I used to see him playing this kind of games. He wanted to teach me on some of his favorite games but I always refuse and yeah he feels bad about it. Well, I think this game is awesome so I am planning to introduce this game to him and MAYBE I will play with him haha, for sure he will love this game.

24. nightcrawlerxmen says:

Good for you to have someone who is on the same field. My girl and I never agree on this. She does not like the fact that I am gaming.

25. kittyprydexmen says:

So far this game has my interest. Sure it is WW vibe but something about it intrigues me. Time to download it and see.