Fundraising Tips For Your Startup. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

The concept of raising money seems simple because we hear about companies who go from an idea to full funding within several months. But the reality is there are much more who try and try, maybe even for years, and get nowhere and no one ever talks about them. So is there a secret recipe that guarantees you funding? Nope! But here are some tips that will increase your chance to get funded astronomically:

1. If you can’t help yourself, why should others help you: Who wouldn’t want to get money pouring into their company before getting started on a prototype of their idea? That’s the ideal scenario right? But in reality, investors would like to see efforts by the company to show that they are in fact serious about what they’d like to do. Why would people blindly put their money into a company that isn’t going to go out of its way to build their product?
  2. Start lean: Who doesn’t want to create a product that will do everything they have ever dreamed off on their first launch? In reality, this is very hard for a startup to accomplish unless they are fully funded from the beginning, and even then it’s a feat to pull off. You don’t want to get into a situation where you have too many goals to meet and promises to fulfill and can’t deliver. Or you rush to meet them, and the quality is mediocre. The way to do it right for most startups is to begin lean so that your focus is on one or maybe two main features in your product that you’d like to excel in. Investors want milestones and constant updates, and if you can’t meet them, they will pull the rug from under you in the middle of your project.
  3. Get the word out to the world: This is the toughest part. How do you get people around you, around the world, to know what you’re doing when you don’t… actually know that many people. Get on Facebook, Twitter, email, blogs, TV, attend events, conferences, etc… You need time and need to try everything. This will become a full-time job, but the sacrifice is required if you want serious funding. Investors will look at your social efforts, and that may give an indication of how successful your product may be.
  4. Create a pitch: You have to be able to convince the investors to invest! Do your due diligence, make sure you understand the market and the consumers as there will be a lot of questions from the investors. Investors want to invest in a company that will scale, so you have to show how they will grow their money and gets a return on their investments.
  5. Be patient: Getting funded takes time and patience. Try not to give up immediately. Investors want to make sure they are investing in a place that gives them the most chance to succeed with their money. They too will do their research, and that may take a while depending on how much you’re asking for investments.

If you’ve been at it for a while and you have no interest from any party, then it may be a good idea to reevaluate and start again with a fresh idea.

What do you think about these tips? Have you been through a similar experience and would like to share?

Let us know in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

26 thoughts on “Fundraising Tips For Your Startup

1. Matua says:

Tip number three hits the nail right on the head. Nowadays, everyone and everything is on the Internet. if you don’t make your startup known through the Internet, you are missing a lot of marketing potential – especially if you want to reach people willing to invest on your business.

2. Albeneth says:

This post is so right. It simply entails fact about fundraising. Yes, everyone should spend some effort to achieve what they want no matter what their goals is.

1. Alma May says:

no matter what their goals are 🙂

3. This is the number one advice that should be heard: “If you can’t help yourself, why should others help you.”

I agree with this because a lot of start ups fail, in my experience because they do not become or are not self supportive.

I would love to hear stories from people who was able to fundraise. It takes courage and patience to be able to pitch to a lot of people.

5. valine13 says:

With number 3 is not really easy for me. If I have to start something like this, I really have to be influential to gain more people around.

6. darkkvader says:

Thanks for this tips! You really have to consider all this to reach the goal of fundraising. I agree.

7. Totally agree with the post. You have to be persistent about it until you get what you were willing for!

8. wolfbro92 says:

I very much agree on the advertising part, since the hardest part of starting anything, is to make people know your business, and a lot of commitment is needed for that. Very good article, thank you Ky!

9. unvrso says:

I have given the thought about starting my own company, but as in many cases, I lack the money to start one. Having funds is one of the most importatn factors when wanting to start something. I think I have to come up with a good idea, and then, start from there. Very good tips about getting funds for a business

10. Maury Cheskes says:

I definitely agree with all these pointers. You have to believe in your product if you want to succeed. With social media nowadays it’s easy to get your ideas out there and make them marketable.

11. Word of Mouth is a good start. However please make sure that the product is good. With enough leverage you will make it.

12. micorobin says:

Sadly sometimes luck plays a part in this. If a game is good but nobody sees it then it is likely to fail. That is why planning is crucial.

13. As the saying goes at times nothing as goes as planned. However, I still suggest it to increase a product or game sucess.

14. This topic can be answered a million times. As for me quality says it all. If you have that everything else will follow.

15. califrank says:

I must say: the insights on this post is spot-on! I’m a financial advisor and I’ve seen too many budding entrepreneurs fail simply because banks and lenders turned down their business proposal the first time. For investors, they want to see a ROI and a lukewarm prospect doesn’t look like a promising risk to take.

16. t1na84 says:

From the looks of it, it’ll surely take a lot from you to raise funds for your startup. It’s not for the weak of heart so I don’t think I have what it takes to succeed in this kind of endeavor, sadly. 😦 let’s say I don’t like taking too much risks.

17. grayicemake says:

Being bull headed can be a key too. Seriously persistence to keep going particularly if the tough gets going separates success and failure.

18. skydragonwendymarvell says:

If I may add having back up financially will help too. Like it or not it will be a grind and you need funds to sustain it.

19. lakshya1503 says:

Really helpful article! Everything seems just right! Point 3 is by far the most important and the toughest of all.. Standing against all odds and believing in the idea is equally important to me.

20. Good points, especially point 1. You must first show a personal financial commitment to your startup before you can expect anyone to do the same. So true.

21. luffyzorro2012 says:

I am not a gamer but I imagine game or not starting up is a challenge. Well this is where you should have that mental fortitude. Otherwise its pack your things and go home.

22. alexsummers123 says:

Ask for help!!! I Feel that is also important because you cannot just run with your head cut off. More so when you are starting. Ask help when you need it.

23. sansnomph says:

Each tip was on point, especially tip number 3. It’s all about getting around and going around. These tips about fundraising are amazing!

24. nightcrawlerxmen says:

I could use this on my own fund drive. It is not just limited to gaming is it not?

25. kittyprydexmen says:

Starting is hard but maintaining it is even harder. Anyway, Starting somewhere is always a challenge. Some make it some do not.