Ky's Korner #73: New Life For Half-Life. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Howdy friends!!

Who knew that Half-Life is 20 years old now?? Wow, that totally makes me feel ancient… lol. The creators are still working on perfecting it even after all this time, and a patch has now been created to clean up any left behind bugs. It’s the first time Half-Life has gotten an update in over four years.

The list may not be as compelling as one might hope. However, the die-hard Half-Life fans will appreciate every one of them. These are all fixes that were suggested by the Half-Life community and Valve listened. Here the list I have compiled thus far:

• Fixed crashing issues when entering malformed strings into the gaming console.
  • Fixed crash when selecting custom decals.
  • Fixed crash that occurs when quickly changing weapons that are consumable.
  • Fixed malformed SAV files which allow data to be written into the games folder.
  • Fixed crash while loading a particular malformed BSP file.

Giving life to older games seems to be a trend these days. Taking classics, brushing off the dust if you will, and updating them with new technology is less than uncommon and I have to say, I love it when they do this, as long as they don’t change things up to much. I mean, updating is good but, we all have those games that we just love and to change everything would be a tragedy. So, luckily this is more of and update than anything else. What you have loved about Half-Life all these years has not changed… so that is excellent news, so thank you Valve!

Valve as we know it is a giant in the gaming industry… now that is, but, before experienced all this success, it was more known for launching Half-Life. At the time there were so many first person shooters out, and Half-Life stood out amongst the crowd. There was something different about this game, something very unique and it was well received by gamers across the world. It gave us a chance to explore free control of our main character, in this case, our character was Gordon Freeman… Quickly, the game became what it is today… A game that has more than made its mark on the gaming community.

These updates may seem average to some but, I assure you that is not the case. Fixing all these glitches may mean that this is just the beginning… I feel like this mans there will be another revival of the game completely… Maybe creating a whole new game in the series. Wouldn’t that be awesome!!??

Some of you out there may be more into the idea of something new anyway, instead of reliving past additions to the series. There have been a ton of comments regarding this update already… This proves there is still a huge fan base for Half-Life 2 as well as 3 and considering the sequel to the original was released way back in 2004. Ever since then there has been a talk of whether or not Valve still has what it takes to keep Half-Life alive.

What are your thoughts on all this… Do you think they have what it takes? Would you be interested in a new addition to the series? Or do you think it’s been played out enough already? Either way, we have to admit that Half-Life has longevity, it’s a force to be reckoned with. To me, because of its consistent popularity, I think an edition would be exactly what the series needs. Not only an addition but, to see a new version of it, a new and improved, up to date version would be awesome just to see not to mention play. Don’t you think?

Now do the updates make it worth the buy?? Let’s take a gander at some of these updates for ourselves… shall we???

Well, that’s all for today folks… Hope you’ve enjoyed the read and be sure to check back daily for more exciting gamer news!! Thanks so much for stopping by Ky’s Korner. Until next time friends!!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

27 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #73: New Life For Half-Life

1. Haven’t really played any Half-Life games in my life but from what i hear, it must be a pretty good game overall in terms of not just gameplay, but storytelling as well. Thank you for making this article!

2. rosiechicks says:

I have seen lots of new game releases. They surely give fresher things but I still think nothing beat Half-life! I am sure keeping an eye on its new updates soon.

3. Grecy Garcia says:

Fixing the glitches means there are ways to improve a game and the person behind this are very willing to take risk to changes, believe it would get better. It will for sure. Everyone will appreciate this changes for sure. Now, the time is open to enjoy the game more.

4. bunnygirl says:

I loved Half-Life, and when i thought the game couldn’t be bested, Half-Life 2 came out. Valve really outdid themselves with those games. Classic and will be forever remembered!

5. Patty_Indi says:

This game was not that easy. I just hope though that the graphics look better. I just love its concept since I am a UFO enthusiast. Looking forward to more improvements!

6. theinterpreter13 says:

you gave me a complete nostalgia. Really appreciate the update. And thanks for reminding how old it is! 20 years, wow…

7. patpat22 says:

I’ve heard a lot about the Half Life saga and many people think the story is disappointing. But from a writer’s perspective who usually looks at the storyline instead of just the graphics and every other thing, I think its story is simply unique coz it’s not just about guns and enemies. It’s more of survival.

8. miakayuuki2012 says:

My brother use to play this game. It is awefully similar to CS but that is just an opinion. Perhaps this version will do something else.

9. micorobin says:

I would not be surprise if this is the return of these types of games, The initial version were meh for me. Hopefully this is better.

10. Matua says:

I never really played this game, but it rang a bell because my little brother (who is not so little anymore) used to play this. Maybe I should buy it for him on his birthday… 🙂

11. valine13 says:

I know this but really never played yet at all. But I know this since I was a kid so yeah! Hopefully this is also a good version.

12. darkkvader says:

This is im sure more enhanced and people will really enjoy it since there are so many fixes for this game.

13. Well thank god they fixed the bug on selecting custom decals. That was a pain.

Didn’t think that half life was already 20 years in the making.

14. I used to have this game back then despite not having internet yeah. This time I hope I can enjoy it fully unlike before

15. coyleon says:

Half-Life is 20 years old? Man, I feel old. I remember playing the very first release back in 1998.. such a long time ago.

16. 34kristi says:

My boyfie used to play this game and I got nightmares watching the game unfold. I get that people like the shock value but not me. The only positive I see from Half-Life is that Gordon Freeman pretty much looks like my biggest crush, Bryan Cranston.

17. Wow that is pretty much the weirdest yet vivid description of the game. I did not see it though because I just had the demo version then.

18. titanierza says:

I am on the new side here so if it is not to much to ask. What is this game all about? I am asking seriously here.

19. grayicemake says:

What kind of rock where you in ERZA? SERIOUSLY!!! Well to me Half life is nothing more than CS but with aliens. Hope that helps.

20. luffyzorro2012 says:

Are the classic games coming back? Half Life is just the start of many if this trend continues.

21. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

What about real opponents? The Artificial Intelligence would not cut it. The gameplay is lacking that greatly.

22. kittyprydexmen says:

Based on the review, it seems like this game has shed its flaws. I agree with him how will this game fair against the games of today?

23. nightcrawlerxmen says:

I know this game has improve but it is not for me. Killing time perhaps but getting it is no!!!

24. amaterasu123 says:

NOSTALGIA is gonna be the biggest kicker in this. I might buy this game for collection and nostalgia alone.

25. alexsummers123 says:

This game has improved a lot since then. Is it enough for me to buy it? Strangely YES.

26. b4rnard says:

The way I see it, Valve is updating Half-Life for its nostalgic value. It’s sort of paying tribute to the game that started it all for them. I mean, they’re raking in a ton of cash off Dota 2 being an international gaming feature so I don’t see them trying to cash in on Half-Life.

27. irabrady44 says:

It took them this long to finally update Half-Life? Was Valve too busy bringing in new titles that they forgot the one game that started them on the road to their massive success? Whew~ glad I got that out of my system.. took me forever to wait for these updates! Finally!