Ky's Korner #72: The New Batgirl Movie. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Howdy my Super Hero loving friends!!

Did you know that Batgirl is coming out with her very own flick? For once, she takes the lead and gets the spotlight all to herself. I had to research this further just to see what can be found. I have a feeling we may not be able to find too much, simply because I haven’t heard much about it, meaning… my investigative skills have to be on point if I’m gonna find the scoop on this one… and I will find it…. So here we go…

Joss Whedon has come aboard to work on this project as not only the director but, the writer as well and…. as of now, no other producers have signed on. Whedon is making a huge leap here from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to DC. He has some big named films with Marvel-Disney under his belt already including, writing and directing, The Avenger’s & The Avenger’s: Age Of Ultron. He is also the creator of some top-rated television shows such as Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly, & Agents Of The Shield. Finding out this tad-bit of information leads me to believe this Batgirl film is in excellent hands. This man is a genius!

Batgirl’s popularity has always been there, and we have all loved her, yet this is the first we’ve seen her in her very own film. I think it’s a long time coming myself. So many heroes have been getting their stories told the last few years, and lately, DC has been doing an excellent job of bringing the Justice League together, it was only a matter of time.

The scene is based on back to 1967 when Batgirl’s story was first told. Barbara Gordon, daughter of the one and only James Gordon… Police Commissioner of Gotham, first appeared as the character in the issue titled, “The Million Dollar Debut Of Batgirl.”

This film will be the second of it’s kind to feature a female super hero, following the release of Wonder Woman, played by Gal Gadot, which debuted June 2nd.

A precise release date for the film has yet to be set. But, back in April during the premier of, Guardian’s OF The Galaxy: Vol. 2, Whedon was quoted as saying…

“It is a little early to tease anything besides the existence of it. We weren’t eve talking about Batgirl- it came up as part of another conversation and then we all got so excited that the movie suddenly appeared. So, that’s a perfect sign to me. It wasn’t a slot they were trying to fill. We all just started talking about her and then I couldn’t stop. So, that’s a good feeling.”

It has been said that once Whedon wraps this up with the up and coming Justice League film, he will turn his attention to Batgirl. This may be the most official piece of information out there. At least it gives us some sort of time frame.
It isn’t clear as to how far back the discussion for the film started but, back in 2016 Whedon did mention that he had begun working on, “A story about a girl that goes through some unbelievable s***.” So… this could have been in the works for much longer than we even thought… And if so, to me, this means that it’s release really may not be too far off as suspected.. it also means that the movie has been being perfected this whole time. I mean, all signs here point that this film will be fantastic!

Now, as to who will be cast in the lead role as Batgirl herself, a shortlist of actresses has been leaked… lucky for us! Whedon is surely hoping that this film will share in the success of its predecessor, Wonder Woman, and if it’s going to, that means casting the lead role has to be spot on! According to a Reddit user…here are our options so far….

Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel), Elle Fanning (Neon Demon), Bella Thorne (Shake It Up), Margaret Qualley (The Leftovers), Katherine Langford (13 Reasons Why), Jane Levy (Don’t Breathe), Naomi Scott (Power Rangers), Haley Lu Richardson (Edge Of Seventeen) & Emma Roberts (Scream Queens)

How do yall feel about this list? Is there one that stands out to you or do you think someone better has been overlooked? If, I had to choose out of this list… I think Emma Roberts would be great. Batgirl is just that… a girl.. not a woman. Emma has a way of showing her youth while staying active…. an important trait for a Batgirl actress to have. In my opinion. What’s your opinion? Let me hear it friends… comment, comment and comment again! I soooo want to hear what you think!

Well, friends… that’s it for today. Thanks so much for stopping by Ky’s Korner!! Talk to you tomorrow!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

28 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #72: The New Batgirl Movie

1. This is amazing! I didn’t know that there would be a batgirl movie coming out! I thought it would be a couple more years and the cement of the Justice League before they would do that!

2. Grecy Garcia says:

For me Elle Fanning is quite perfect. From her looks she will be perfect. I remember when Alicia Silverstone played this well before. I love her hair and body on the old Batman films. I am waiting for Robin, you know Batman and Robin.

3. bunnygirl says:

Batgirl? Really? Wow!! I remembered the only real batgirl movie was from Batman and Robin, and that also she appeared at the ending. Can’t wait for this one!

4. wolfbro says:

I think Batgirl was just not as famous and marketable, since Batman is running the show pretty big, and even Robin seems to be getting more love from the fans. Lets hope this turns out well for Batgirl.

5. BATGIRL is in the safe hands, i agree. But creativity goes in the other way anytime. Fingers crossed…

6. patpat22 says:

Gosh, we have the same thoughts about Emma Roberts! I think she would fit best in this role because of her personality. But whoever it is, she’s got a big role to fill after the success of Wonder Woman. I’m excited!

7. pattyindi says:

A lot of people think Anna Kendrick would be great for the role. lol. IDK, I think because of her quirky vibe. But if she gets chosen, it would really be fun! I know she’s a little too old to play the role, but she doesn’t look like 31 at all! Let’s see what happens.

8. It is the girls turn to shine huh? However, how will they separate her from freaking BATMAN? The money maker? Everything has to have some BATMAN in it these days.

9. micorobin says:

Is the trailer already out? WEll better Google it for its juicy details then he he.

I hope the movie turns out great especially after Wonder Woman. I like Elle Fanning but then I do not read the comics so it might not be a good match. Maybe someone new to the business?

11. Matua says:

Wow, this is amazing! Batgirl as the title role, finally!

12. valine13 says:

Havent heard of it coming out so thanks for this! I learned a lot from your research too!

13. darkkvader says:

Now this excites me! I want to know more about Batgirl through the movie coming out. I feel like I only know guy heroes so this is a new thing.

14. astonefoxblog says:

Had no idea that there was going to be a bat girl movie. I’ve always liked the batman franchise and loved everything about it but since I’m female, I’m really into girl characters.

This is something I’d definitely watch and hope that the story line is good!! Thanks for the heads up Ky.

15. mur13l says:

I can’t believe I don’t see Chloë Moretz in the shortlist! If there’s anybody who’s fun and kick-ass for the Batgirl role, that’d be Chloë. What do you guys, think?

16. edg4r32 says:

Joss whedon as the writer and director? Oh you bet this Batgirl movie will be insanely good! Count me in! I just hope they don’t get the casting wrong… Emma Roberts as BG? No way

17. Well yeah in her role as Hit girl it will be easy for her to pull off BATGIRL!!! Perhaps they are looking for an older woman for the role.

18. I better not see that Batman love angle. Do not get me wrong age does not matter in these things I know that but there has to be build up for it not just surprise!!! that part of the Killing Joke movie made me say what the…..

19. titanierza says:

Correct me if I am wrong but Wheddon is in Marvel right? Or is he jumping ship? God DC really needs some saving grace do they?

20. grayicemake says:

At this point I am not surprise I mean DC wants a share of that Billion Dollar Pie. Wheddon must have been promised huge paychecks for this.

21. luffyzorro2012 says:

We do not need a BATGIRL who can only function as an EYE CANDY just no!!! The girl must not only have the looks but the fighting chops. That Alicia Silverstone was cute but that is it. That movie was a nightmare.

22. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

Once again we run to the BATMAN problem? Who is he facing anyway? I cannot think of anyone due to she has not took center stage because it is always BATMAN.

23. kittyprydexmen says:

I will watch this movie. I am curious who and how will they depict Barbara Gordon.

24. nightcrawlerxmen says:

So DC is running the Batman train to its hilt. Props to them at least it is not Batman.

25. amaterasu123 says:

BATGIRL gets a movie but not NIGHTWING? Come on!!! Anyway when will it be shown? This year?

26. alexsummers123 says:

Is the trailer even out? I think it will be 2018 or 19 since DC is busy with the justice League.

27. coyleon says:

@amaterasu They’re probably cashing in on female heroines this time around… but my bet is Nightwing will probably come up next on the list of superheroes. But I’m sure glad you mentioned Nightwing, the coolest superhero on DC universe, Cheers!

28. bebesherman1214 says:

Another fantastic film in the works… and whoever lands the titular role, I’m in! Not gonna miss out on a Batgirl movie because yes, I’m a fan of her character. 😉