Ky's Korner #69: Jobs Playing & Researching World Of Warcraft. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hey, Friends!

How many of us gamers have heard the expression… “Stop playing those video games and get a real job!!” I guess we’ve all heard this quite a lot during our gaming careers as if we could call it that… That’s why when I found out about this, I was like.. finally!!

Studies out of the Missouri University Of Science have shown that those players that play World of Warcraft (WOW) in groups together have shown traits that easily translate into successful people in a virtual workplace. Such as the Big 5 Personality Traits…. Conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, openness, neuroticism, along with computer-mediated communication.

288 WOW players were surveyed for this study and those surveyed were from a diverse group of players, from all different ages, sex, geological location, race as well as occupation. The player’s survey answers were compared to their WOW characters statistics. By studying a players achievement points, researchers can determine the number of hours played and how much group gameplay the player has been involved in.

“What we wanted to look at was virtual teamwork and what kind of characteristics a person had in-game that would translate to real life and the workplace.” Said, Elizabeth Short, a graduate student in industrial-organizational psychology, who compiled data for the study, headed by Dr. Nathan Weidner, assistant professor of psychological science at Missouri S&T.

On average the WOW players were surveyed about 8 hours a week, while still working at least 38 hour work weeks at their normal day job. This was important to show how easy it was for these players to work in a team environment, both while gaming and in their day to day work lives. The survey itself was composed of 140 questions about, teamwork preferences, motivation, communication skills, and personality… Most of the questions were related to the Big 5, we spoke of earlier.

WOW just happens to be one of the largest and most subscribed to MMO- Role Playing game out there so it is ideal for this type of research. Short went onto to explain that the connections between the research of the gamers WOW group achievements and the player’s personality traits may have been small but proved to be very significant, statistically speaking. The biggest factor was the terms of technology readiness throughout the teams as a whole.

“The more technology ready you are, the more resilient around the technology you are, the more adaptable you are, the more achievement point you have in WOW and, you can flip that. The more achievements you have in the game, the more technically savvy you are in real life… And that’s a good thing, especially in virtual communication teams and workplaces.” Says, Short.

She went on to explain that while growing up she was a very introverted person and WOW helped bring her out of her shell, more like an armor as she put it. WOW helped her “shed that armor.” Soon, her confidence grew, and she learned to communicate better with others. Short gives all the credit to her love of WOW, she goes on to explain…

“I enjoyed playing World Of Warcraft and played it regularly. Then I started college, using the traits I had learned from WOW, like talking and communicating with people during raids, it all helped me socially in school.”

‘Raiding’ or ‘to raid’ are terms used by the gamers of WOW. The players form groups of 5, 10 or 25 people in-game and collaborate to defeat game villains using a plan. The players communicate in real-time by chat and/or using voice software.

Short and the rest of the team hope that by conducting this research more WOW players can find their own confidence and they can also convert that into their daily lives as well.

“I like the idea that there are aspects that help strengthen a person with skills, knowledge, and abilities to be able to transfer those into the workplace. If it helps students like me, I want to see if it helps people in the workplace too. This research shows us that those skills, while not exactly the same, they transfer.” She continues.

I just found this so interesting. I mean let’s face it… us gamers sometimes get a bad wrap when it comes to being hard workers. Sometimes being cast out as lazy when really most of us are the over achievers of the world.. not just in the World Of Warcraft or gaming period… but we’re the go-getter of the world and it about time it has been shown in a research study.

Thanks so much for stopping by Ky’s Korner today! Let’s catch up again next week!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

24 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #69: Jobs Playing & Researching World Of Warcraft

I believe that playing games has advantages and could enhance some traits/skills. Gamers just need to be able to balance their work and gaming life well and all will be good. 🙂

2. So tired of people saying stop gaming and get a job. You can do what you love to do and work efficiently with time management. Pshhh.

3. wolfbro92 says:

“Players that play World of Warcraft (WOW) in groups together have shown traits that easily translate into successful people in a virtual workplace.” Hmm, this is something I should show to my mum, and explain to her it was wrong for her to limit my game times =))

4. bunnygirl says:

I think that gamers naturally have better senses and skills that will eventually help them in the future, especially at work. Society tend to put down anything they don’t understand, that’s all.

5. deejayreynolds54 says:

And they said games never amounted to anything in real life! Turns out that slacking off and having fun through videogames can translate into a useful trait in the real world office space! Who knew WOW and workplace can compliment each other?

6. carlosjrferreira33 says:

Nabbing lots of WOW achievments can lead to the person actually being a lot more tech savvy in real life? Wow, a friend of mine has loads of those in-game, I never really thought of him being the tech-savvy type so bravo to games for having an actual and useful real life benefit.

7. valine13 says:

I learned a lot from this article. Maybe I’d start playing WOW now since I’m struggling with me being introverted.

8. darkkvader says:

Who would’ve thought that playing WOW would be just an advantage? Especially when dealing with groups, just wow.

9. Grecy Garcia says:

I have to agree. Most of my co employee at work, who are gamers are always enthusiastic and excited. You know what I envy you because you love your job. You get paid while enjoying it. I just hope I have that kind.

10. stellar says:

this is crazy.hmm….. you know what i knew that playing games are not waste of time. i mean you get same challenges in life as in game virtually.

11. amaterasu123 says:

Are we talking about jobs within the game or related to DOTA? Yeah with e sports a thing these days gaming is now and can be a full time job. Imagine that.

12. skydragonwendymarvell says:

Yes gaming can be a job but not everyone can accept it. I mean me for example I am doing good online but my parents does not see it that way.

13. terrencespencerr says:

A friend of mine is a huge WOW player, I never really thought much of it until I saw this post. Maybe I should give the game a try myself, and maybe improve on the Big 5 Personality traits mentioned above.

14. allenssimone says:

And I thought games like WOW indicate that the players are more introverted than extroverted, I guess this article proved me wrong! I forgot the part about the virtual teamwork actually being equivalent to teamwork in a real-life office space scenario.

15. irabrady44 says:

Finally! Science recognizing a gamer’s contribution in society may just be what I needed to start the day right. I mean, we play games but that doesn’t mean we’re not earning our dough… people should’ve seen that fact sooner!

16. rob3rtow says:

It sucks living with this ‘gamer’ stereotype. I mean, been turned down by countless girls just because I’ve told them that I play video games my whole life. It’s not like I don’t have a career or I don’t pay for my own apartment!

So thanks for taking our side, science.

17. You should get yourself a gamer for a girl my friend. I am lucky enough that my friends like these things.

18. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

The fact that we are online makes jobs even outsid of the box like this one. I am a freelance writer and seeing more people accepting online as an alternative makes me happy.

19. popiposite says:

Well, there are tons of millionaire who started as gamer, as long as you are smart and dedicated, you can turn the things you like to a job!

20. titanierza says:

That will happen but it take a lot for people to warm up to. In my county as an example this is not even considered a job.

21. kittyprydexmen says:

It is the path that all online people like us should take. I know it is hard but in time I believe it will be accepted.

22. I understand if people are looking at gaming as a job yet it is not? For one it is unstable and chances are once in a blue moon thing. After all we do nothave regular tournaments.

23. micorobin says:

I believe that as tech progresses this will become apparent. Not just gaming but online jobs in general. We cannot all go corporate.