Ky's Korner #68: Steel Sentry Gaming Eye Tracker. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Howdy Gamerz!!

I know I have been talking about E3 a lot lately and all the great stuff that was presented there this year but, I can’t help but add this one to the lost too. This technology is amazing! It certainly deserves it’s very own article. You’ll think so too by the time you are finished reading this, and that’s a fact!

The Sentry Gaming Eye Tracker is the latest in cutting-edge gaming hardware. Even though there has been a slew of virtual control systems thrown our way the last several years, this one just may take the cake so far. A first of its kind brought to us by Tobii Technology, a company based on creating eye-tracking devices.

Eye-tracking is quickly making its mark on the gaming world and is being led by these geniuses at Tobii. No one else is offering such advanced technology. I mean sure there might be some knock-off copy cats, but Tobii seems to be the only ones knocking it out of the park and of course they are, they did it first.

Eye-tracking with this device means that you are literally controlling the game with your eyes in the same way that your controller or your mouse would. That’s pretty crazy to me! The device is a small camera bar that attaches to your monitor and interacts with your computer to track your eye movement, even if you happen to wear glasses or contacts.

Now, let’s do keep in mind that this is still in the testing stages, only compatible with 3 games or so. In the beginning, testing was less than perfect, varying from game to game but, it’s getting better and fast.

One of the games that are being used to test is a very well known game… Assassin’s Creed: Rogue, along with The Hunter: Primal, which actually received better reviews due to quality. The camera allows for a much wider panoramic view, and with Primal the ocular camera worked best during its gameplay.

Tobii originally created this device with gamers in mind. They wanted to expand the online gaming experience especially for streamers, such as myself and many of you out there, as we all professional gamers and how lucky are we that this is actually something we could get our hands on too. Exciting!!

Now, like I said this may not be the first time we’ve heard of this sort of technology. However, this is the first eye-tracker so we can expect a few hiccups along the way but, it’s so worth the wait. With an estimated price of somewhere around $150, we can’t complain too much. Let’s just make sure they straighten out those kinks before it hits the shelves. I’m expecting perfection once I get one in my hands… I’m sure you would be too.

Though aesthetically speaking, it does look very similar to the Kinect or even a PlayStation camera but… it does so much more and in no way fits in those two categories. It’s a small, slim black device that houses three sets of illuminators and a built-in motion camera. This is what tracks the movement of the eyes with the utmost precision. It has the ability to scan the eyes fifty times per second, which makes gameplay pretty on point.

By simply peeling off a set of magnetic strips and adhering them to your screen, seemingly unnoticeable, you are able to connect your devices, along with USB 3.0 cable of course…. And in the case that you might want to remove these magnetic strips, it’s super easy, and no residue is left behind. Good news for those of us that like to keep our equipment in tip-top shape.

The set-up is simple, all you have to do to collaborate is follow a bright dot with your eyes. Sounds easy enough to me! If your eyesight isn’t quite perfect, that’s totally fine… there are options to enable single-eye tracking as well.

Now, I bet after all this chit-chat about it, I’m sure you’re ready to see this thing in action… So am I! So here’s a bit of an introduction…

And of course here’s some gameplay… Assassin’s Creed style!

Well, there it is folks! Whatcha think?? I think I cannot wait to give it a go! Be sure to comment and let me know what you think of all this… Will this be the next big thing in gaming? I just might be…

Thanks so much for stopping by Ky’s Korner today friends!! Let chat again real soon!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

21 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #68: Steel Sentry Gaming Eye Tracker

Looking forward to this product. Agree with the video, plenty of industries will probably want to get their hands on this technology– I think it will be very useful in the medical field!

2. miakayuuki2012 says:

Initial thoughts!!! This is very useful in a tournament setting wherein time is everything. Outside of it though Personally I do not mind whether I have this on my game or not.

3. micorobin says:

Yes I agree the medical field can use this I mean it can aid in the vision problems of people. It has to be tweaked a bit though.

4. valine13 says:

Wow if they can do it for games, I think they can even do something to help many people in many fields. Everything is so much possible now!

5. darkkvader says:

This is good I want to experience having to play a certain game which we can use this!

6. allenssimone says:

I’m a bit skeptical if this technology can be a great benefit when it comes to competitive gaming. I am sure that it will make for some unique experiences but it might take some getting used to.

7. terrencespencerr says:

Gotta admit, it’s a cool and unexpectedly new technology. I am certain that it might take a while before it becomes the next big thing in the market since even VR is still struggling to find its way into the mass consumer market.

8. wolfbro92 says:

Wow if this is really put into games, it would be freaking awesome. Like mouses would probably be irrelevant soon, such a big step, hope it happens soon!

9. wolfbro92 says:

Great article again Ky, like this is great news for us gamers. I really hope that when it does come out, it wouldn’t be buggy or cause a lot of problems. Cheers!

10. 17keane says:

It’s looking like this is the next big thing in gaming. I can’t wait for this tech to evolve because it means that the next big thing will come sooner than later. ^_^

Oh I can’t help but be excited at the prospect of controlling games using our mind!

11. Grecy Garcia says:

This is the real deal and the next big thing in gaming. Thanks for including the video because I will not totally understand the use without it. I love to think that it tracks our eyes but the steel is below the computer. It should be above though, but that is technology anyway. It is awesome.

12. Maury Cheskes says:

Cool concept and looks easy enough to set up. It probably takes some getting used to, but in the long run it should prove to be more effective than a hand held remote.

13. carlosjrferreira33 says:

I say, keep the cool new gaming tech coming! I thought the smell-o vision VR head gear was a bit ridiculous for my taste, but eye-tracking gaming technology is right up my alley.

14. deejayreynolds54 says:

Hooray for innovation! I personally would prefer a controller for it is much more comfortable and convenient for me, I consider myself a bit too old for new tech as I love to use tech that’s more familiar to me.

15. astonefoxblog says:

Damn that’s some really cool innovation. Wonder how hard it’s going to be to use it while gaming though. Would want to hear more reviews about it.

16. amaterasu123 says:

What will a game look like when using this? I imagine it is like having night vision googles.

17. skydragonwendymarvell says:

What does it even look like? All I saw is an attachment on the monitor. In any case I hope I can experience it.

18. Cool a preview of this tracker in action. I did not see that and Assassins Creed no less.

19. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

When is this available though? Can you use it even if you do not have a console?

20. titanierza says:

You place that on the monitor then what? A demo would be helpful or are they saving that to the launching?

21. kittyprydexmen says:

When is the release date of this exactly? The preview forgot to show that I guess.