Ky's Korner #67: Five Nights At Freddy's 6... Release canceled? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hey, you’s Guys!! (Said in my Best Italian Mobster Accent)

Hope you had a wonderful Independence day yesterday! I certainly did!

So, as you all know I love scary games. When I first heard of the Five Nights At Freddy’s craze…I was like why?? Do people actually find this game scary?? I had to figure out what the fuss was all about…

And.. I’ll admit… it’s pretty creepy and if you know the story behind it all, You know that is even creepier! So, as you can imagine… I am wondering why the 6th installment had been announced then so quickly canceled. I mean this series is at the top of its game (no pun intended.. lol). But, seriously it is… It has almost become a cult classic all it’s own considering the number of followers it’s accumulated in a relatively short amount of time. I had to find out why… I am sure all of you 5 Nights fans out there will appreciate my digging into this….

Creator of the game, Scott Cowthon recently provided us with an update for series 6, shortly after in an announcement on Steam, Cowthon stated that project had been abandoned due to pressure to top its previous entries and how much the series was interfering with his personal life. I mean really dude?? Sounds kinda weak to me… Not to be rude, just being honest but, but his reasons don’t work for me. There are a million game creators out there dealing with the same amounts of pressure…. And because they are professionals and believe in their own work so much, they still make it happen. Even if the work is taking a toll on your personal life. I get that but… it won’t forever. I mean if this is your primary job, as I am sure it is for him, he could certainly live more than comfortably on this project alone. Once the project is over with, he can enjoy some time off. That doesn’t seem too far-fetched in his line of work, to me anyway. That may sound a bit harsh, but really, it’s just the truth. In his defense… this is what he said…

“After forcing myself to keep working on it, day after day, I realized something…. I just don’t want to work on this. With each game’s release, I think the expectations get higher and higher for the next, and rightfully so. Each game SHOULD be better than the last! But that pressure begins to mount, and I fear that I have been neglecting other things in my life for the sake of trying to keep up with those mounting expectations.”

Wow, after reading this… I think it sounds pretty selfish. Here you have this game with huge success.. and you’re just going to cut it off like that… I mean really!? I get the pressure aspect but he is not the first to feel this way, and we certainly won’t be the last. For most people, like us… Creating games for a living is a dream job. It’s not like he’s working construction out in the summer sun baking while working 90 hour work weeks here… he’s sitting in an office creating a game that he brought to life. It doesn’t get much better than that… and why is he questioning his own creativity so much? He could find other like-minded folks to collaborate with on this. I’m very sure that would be a pretty simple task. Personally, I couldn’t let something go that I have put so much effort into… But that’s just me.

Cowthon goes on to explain… “So, after giving this a lot of thought, I’ve decided I am going to stop working on it. I am not going to reveal anything else but what the game was, and I’ve asked other people involved to never divulge anything either. It’s simply not going to be talked about.”

Huh??? Who is this guy? I mean that just seems a bit cold to me. This is a series that has become more than just popular… Not everyone gets success such as this, and he just throws it aside.. not even caring about how the fans may feel? So, that’s just it? That’s a wrap for the Five Nights At Freddy’s series??

It looks that way… He did mention that he wants to pull out of the scene completely, just going back to games that made him happy to be a creator in the first place. Even that sounds ridiculous to me… I mean why create something if you don’t even believe in it?? Makes him seem super fake to me. I don’t know friends… maybe I’m just looking at this all the wrong way. What are your thoughts on this?? I am interested to hear your feeling on this topic.

Unfortunately, that’s all for today folks… I will catch up with you again tomorrow!!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

21 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #67: Five Nights At Freddy’s 6… Release canceled?

1. Joey Savage says:

Hey, you’s Guys!! (Said in my Best Italian Mobster Accent) should of been in your goonies voice lol

1. Ky Lynn says:

Haha! Very true!

2. deejayreynolds54 says:

I don’t know about this either. I heard he was working on a Five Nights at Freddys film so he might be making a transition to Hollywood for all we know. Regardless, his abrupt abandoning of his beloved creation does seem quite absurd.

3. allenssimone says:

Something does seem odd about Scott’s crowd response regarding his very own creation that became such a huge hit. Maybe it’s because of the publicity it has been gaining or perhaps the pressures of fame that are getting under his skin?

4. I think he just needs time to sort things out and maybe he’s feeling pressure. I know it could be a let down but I don’t have doubts he’ll return to work on it if he’s gotten his needed rest. 🙂

5. It seems that the creator is overwhelmed with things. I cannot blame him at times fame gets the best of us.

6. micorobin says:

Perhaps he is experiencing what Toriyama experienced before. By that I mean the company is forcing him for more DB that in a point he hated it. I imagine the creator of this game is feeling the same thing.

I’m one of those who actually applaud his courage to turn his back on a potential money maker and focus on what he feels is more important to him (it looks like family and friends, yes?). It’s not selfish to me– I’ve seen my share of people who have worked too hard, almost never seeing their family and you could see stress affecting their health. Always, these people quit because they feel the work is not worth it, no matter if it gives big bucks. People have a threshold; if something is your passion but if it turns too much of a stressful job then you’ll think twice.

8. bunny92 says:

Scott Cowthon is a complicated man, I think most game developers are. He doesn’t do this just for the money obviously, but only he can know what he is thinking about at that moment, so its wrong to judge him for what he said at that one moment, instead just enjoy the games that he gave to us.

1. Ky Lynn says:

I’m not judging him I just don’t see how he could just drop it, considering I know so many gamers that are so attached to this game. It’ s like when I hear there may be no more Hitman… It sucks. He does deserve a break, I just think he could have held up to his promise of releasing series 6 and took the time off after. Its true it may be just a game but to so many its way more than that. From what I read he’s just done with the series. We all feel pressure in our day to day lives, I know I do and I know I have a lot to live up too… I have to try to keep on top of things… get things done then do my best to recover. I just hope he finds time to at least release series 6 then he can be done with it all together. Just making promises one can not keep is not my style. But, thanks for your comment, I certainly see where your coming from on this.

9. wolfbro says:

I think Scott has said he cancelled the FNAF franchise few times before. Even before FNAF3, he said something like that, but the series kept coming. It’s too early to say anything, he can super unpredictable, but he always delivers great games, I’ll give him that.

1. Ky Lynn says:

Okay cool, and yes he does! I am hoping we see much more of him and his work in the future!

10. While I am no fan of the game I never even played it. However, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt on this one because I am not there so I just trust the creator have his reasons.

11. A rest is in order perhaps. He just needs to find the fire again for him to be back on the saddle. If he truly loves games he will be back. I believe that.

12. Grecy Garcia says:

That is correct, I have to agree. Why not create something if you don’t believe in it. I know the pressure of doing something, but if that is what you love, you feel the pressure but you act on it. Maybe he really don’t want to start this even at first. Maybe he just tried that is why he cannot end it.

13. alexsummers123 says:

IS it weird if I say I want to try this game out despite of this? I mean good or not this issue has my attention now.

14. amaterasu123 says:

You know what they say good or bad publicity is publicity. Me I am not into this horror theme so I will sit this one out.

15. valine13 says:

What happened to him, seriously? I feel like he’s mad or something about the way he said that, I dont know maybe Im not sure but he can’t just do that.

16. darkkvader says:

He needs to explain this well to the fans you know. It’s not like it’s just going to end just like that.

17. teddclark58 says:

Man, this is such a bummer! I mean, why do these game developers do this to us fans?

I love 5 nights at Freddy’s games and now it has to end abruptly for some really petty reason? C’mon, Scott… give the game a chance!

18. bebesherman1214 says:

While Scott Cowthon may be within his rights to take a step back from the work he’s put in 5 Nights at Freddy’s to catch up with other areas of his life that he may have neglected, I feel that he’s ultimately turning his back on the fans of his games. Him not promising to come back sounds selfish of him.

Other game developers, I bet, would love to enjoy the same success he’s had and keep going at it to the very end. Well, we’ll wait and see if he’s just taking a timeout to come up with better ideas for the next horror game he’ll release.