Ky's Korner #63: Okja Out Soon On Netflix. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hey, Gamers!

As you all know… I am a Netflix junkie, and I am always looking for new releases. Well, I found one that I cannot wait to see, and it’s loaded with a killer cast too!! I don’t know if Y’all saw the trailer yet but, I have and just in case you haven’t… I am more than happy to fill you in!!

It’s called Okja… Weird name maybe, and the concept might be a little strange too but… I like things that are a bit odd… lol. The storyline is something I have not seen before. It’s entirely different and totally awesome at the same time.

Okja is a 2017 Netflix original, South Korean-American made film, directed by Bong Joon-ho, co-written by Bong along with American, Jon Ronson and even produced by Brad Pitt!! This makes sense, if you are like me and frequent Netflix on a regular, you know Brad has had a lot going on with Netflix lately. It has become another outlet for actors across the globe. Its all part of the magic that is Netflix! This is a must see movie.. No doubt about it!! The main character in this story is a young girl, played by Korean actress, Ahn Seo-hyun, along side Jake Gyllenhaal & Steven Yeun from The Walking Dead, Tilda Swinton & Lily Collins, just to name a few. I told you this movie has an impressive cast to say the least!

Okja made its official premier at the Cannes Film Festival before being picked up by Netflix and already has quite the following. I am expecting great things from this film, and I have a feeling it will not let me down.

It is set to air June 28th, so we don’t have to wait much longer… Thank goodness! The basis of the story goes something like this…

A young girl from South Korea, named Mija has been the long time care taker for her best friend of 10 years, a large animal called Okja. She has raised him on her family’s land without any disturbances until now that is. Once word spread about this magnificent creature, many were intrigued. So much so that, the character played by Tilda Swinton decides to harvest these creatures. Her plan is to farm raise them to use them as a form of food. The creatures are so large that she promises it will end hunger and we will never lack a food source ever again.

Of course, this is devastating news to Mija, and she vows to safe her friend from becoming dinner. If you see this creature, you don’t blame her, it is far too cute to ever consider a food source, and he is her best friend. Many of us animal lovers can surely relate to this tale of ever lasting friendship. I know I can!

Okja was never meant for the big screen so teaming up with Netflix makes for the perfect match!! I have heard that it has been boycotted in South Korea due to the simple fact of to many titles being released to closely together… meaning we could have seen this movie much sooner had it not been for this unfortunate circumstance. Apparently they are very strict when it comes to these things over in South Korea but, it does make total sense. In order for each film they are releasing to get the correct amount of attention, overlapping release dates in a no-no and I totally get it!

Okja will hit over 190 countries and I would bet on it being the next big thing. My intuition tells me after we all get a taste of it, we will probably want more. For some reason, I am very drawn to this film and I am sure I am not the only one. It is something we can all watch as a family or enjoy completely alone. It honestly seems to a movie for all ages and I am also confident it will turn into a classic in no time.

Now that I have you totally intrigued… I hope… let me show you the trailer. I’m serious friends… Here’s the official Netflix trailer… prepared to be amazed!!!

I know right!!! I am so counting down the days till I can watch this! Here’s a teaser for you just so you have to suffer right along with me… lol.

Well, friends… that is it for today… Hope you have enjoyed learning about this film and I hope it is one that we can all enjoy together!!

Thanks so very much for stopping by Ky’s Korner today.. Were always happy to have you!! -Ky

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

38 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #63: Okja Out Soon On Netflix

1. Misakichi says:

I’m usually not a movie person, but that looks really good! I guess I’m gonna have to add it to my queue; thanks for sharing!

2. Rain Santos-Ocampo says:

I have been looking for a new series to watch on Netflix and you just gave it to me. I looooove you and your variety of posts. I’m such a fan Ky.

You’re a life saver for my boring summer.

1. Ky Lynn says:

Awww thanks friend!!! This is a movie coming out soon but who know maybe it could turn into a series… That would be awesome!!! Your a sweetie!!

3. terrencespencerr says:

I’ve heard about this, and there’s been a lot of hype for this film not just because it’s coming from a reputable director. It’s actually one of the first Netflix titles that was pushed to be a candidate at the Cannes film festival, the issue itself caused quite a stir within the film critic community.

4. Albeneth says:

Wow! I think I really need to watch Okja because of Steven Yeun. Well, Im just hie big fan in the Walking Dead. So sad that he’s already gone in the series.

1. Ky Lynn says:

Yes, I agree… So sad that Glenn is gone from TWD but at least we get to see him here! Yay!!

Okja is just too cute to eat, she/he kinda looks like a mix of a rhino and a dog. Is this set in Korea or in the US (or both)? So interesting… I’ll watch out for it.

6. rage87 says:

This is the first time I heard this movie and I should say based on the story and the trailer I saw here, it seems a very good movie. I’ve haven’t seen such creature in my whole life as well if it was real. lol. But Okja is a cute, little monster I guess. lol. The story is somewhat a bit the same to Ong-bak where his elephant friend was captured to get the animal’s tusk and he went to the city just to save his friend.

7. Wow what a find Ky! This creature looks like a cross between a pig and a dog. Tilda Swinton is lovely as ever!

8. Beautiful movie! I love the story, it’s very unique. I reckon that will be the reason why this is gonna be a hit. Thanks for sharing this to us Ky Lynn!

1. Ky Lynn says:

You are so very welcome!

9. micorobin says:

What is he exactly? A moose a seal or both? Anyway this is along the lines of FREE WILLY is it not?

10. titanierza says:

Yes along those lines do not forget Joe young too. However despite of the premise being done a thousand times what counts is the execution.

11. Maury Cheskes says:

The CGI is outstanding. Looks like a cute movie to see with friends and family. It kind of reminds me of King Kong in that there’s a beast who has a lot of heart.

12. Octavio says:

The film seems pretty good, I can’t believe how realistic is the computer animated creature. Actors were lovely and I can’t wait to see that movie.

Liked by 2 people

13. valine13 says:

Im an animal lover so watching this and waiting for this will always be an option!

14. darkkvader says:

Nice teaser. Nice animation it looks realistic! Wow. and the movie will really catch the hearts of many because of the good story.

15. Grecy Garcia says:

I love it. I thought I will cry. I am an animal lover and I can’t take some parts but I will be brave while watching this, I know in the end they will be successful. Love this film. I hope it reaches the big screen but okay with Netflix, I can just watch it there. Love Okja to the deepest of my heart.

16. luffyzorro2012 says:

How come a CGI is very realistic on this one?. If you guys did not say it, I would not even notice ha ha. Thanks!!!

17. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

It is one of those animal or creature rescue films. It always questions us who is human and who are the beast. Us or them?

18. Jake says:

This seems to be a fascinating movie! And the fact that Brad Pitt is producing it and Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the cast makes it even more exciting! Can’t wait to catch the movie on Netflix.

19. Awww this is so cute. Reminds me of a Miyazaki film. Thanks for sharing this to us Ky!

1. Ky Lynn says:

No Problem Friend!! Thanks for reading!

20. Kelvin Yu says:

Can’t believe this star-studded cast movie isn’t gonna be shown in the cinemas. And the story is original too. Kudos to this movie!

21. amaterasu123 says:

I hope I get to see this film. Yes it is an animal rescue but a badass animal rescue. I do not want to mess with that kid.

22. alexsummers123 says:

I did not know that NETFLIX are into movies too. I always know them as a service for TV shows or whatnot.

23. It looks very, very realistic! The CGI is superb. And the cast is amazing. Everybody did their part very well!

24. I love the story because it is very unique. This should be seen in the cinemas.

25. Miles Cutler says:

What a nice story. It this a commentary on the processed food industry? It makes me wanna go vegan.

26. What a stellar cast! And backed by Brad Pitt, no less! I would still want to watch this in a big screen, in a movie house.

27. miakayuuki2012 says:

It is not getting enough push!!! With the cast like that it should be making buzz but nothing!!! Thanks to SE for this.

28. grayicemake says:

This needs to be backed up by big companies to get the movie going. People will flock over this

29. Very unique story, if I may say. And that creature is sooo adorable. Definitely a must-see. And thank heavens for Netflix (and chill)!

30. The story is engaging. Reminds me of those 80s and 90s movies that have pets play a significant role. This is one great find, Ky!

31. skydragonwendymarvell says:

I am going to watch this since I haven’t watch this genre for a long time. It is a nice change of pace.

32. nightcrawlerxmen says:

When will this be out? I am not sure I saw the playing date on the trailer.

33. While I think the premise is lame think about it she wants meat so she goes after the creature? What about a meatshop? The action though it is something else.

34. I agree on that the action is not typical of a movie in this lane. I like it actually!!! Who says that pet movies cannot kick some ass?