Book 4, P9: Odious Optimism – Combat 101. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

The group stood mesmerized soaking it all in as a Land Rover crested one of the dunes and barreled towards them. Dumbfounded the Champions watched a man lean out of the passenger window and point an AK-47 at them as the vehicle approached.

Today we continue with part nine of book 4. Hope you enjoy!

News of the armored car heist had reached Plum Island and the Champions, understandably, were concerned and had assembled in the west hangar early to discuss the situation before Mr. Smith arrived with today’s schedule.

“Taking out a thug or two is one thing” Jonni started, “but going up against a small group of heavily armed nut jobs that can take out 100 armed men is something entirely different. Travour, you’re a huge dude, but I don’t think you can catch a rocket grenade and throw it back at the bad guys. Briiana, we already know that you can’t dodge bullets. We seriously need to talk to Mr. Smith about this. It’s time that we leveled the playing field a little don’t you think?”

“I couldn’t agree more Jonni” Mr. Smith’s voice reverberated around the room as he walked in.

Jonni and the other Campions snapped to attention.

“I’m…sorry, sir. We were just….I didn’t mean” Jonni said sheepishly.

“It is perfectly fine Jonni, you and the rest of team are quite right. I would think quite a bit less of all of you if you didn’t question why you hadn’t had firearms training yet.  The simple answer is in two parts; we didn’t have the time seeing as New York decided to go to hell early and Warren and I were waiting for ARMAKZ to arrive. Without ARMAKZ your training would be wholly inadequate.” Mr. Smith paused waiting for someone to ask the obvious question.

“Okay, I will bite, ” said Reisha, “what is ARMAKZ? Another version of RAIF? Sort of like a robotic bigger brother with guns or something?”

Mr. Smith shook his head, “Not even close. Come on I will show you.”

The Champions followed Mr. Smith to another hangar on the island and stopped outside the front door.

“This is ARMAKZ” Mr. Smith began as he gestured towards the entire building with a wave of his hand, “ARMAKZ stands for Augmented Reality Motion Activated Kill Zone. This allows us to throw you into real life scenarios as generated within the confines of these walls. Once you enter your perception of where you are and what is going on around you will change. It is completely immersive. ARMAKZ was designed to teach you what you need to know to survive a hostile environment beyond the simple ability to point a gun and pull a trigger. Any idiot can do that. As Champions your job is harder in many ways, the bad guys shoot at anyone, which is easy, you have to choose your targets carefully and be more aware of your surroundings on a constant basis or innocent people may get hurt.”

Mr. Smith then pulled out his phone and typed in a command. The small door on the left of the building opened, “Put these on and come inside with me” he said as he handed each of the Champions a pair of what looked like designer sunglasses.

As the Champions entered the hanger, the walls seemed to disappear, and the concrete floor beneath their feet turned to sand. They stood in the middle of the room and looked around in awe. As far as their eyes could see there was nothing but blue sky and sand dunes.

“This is messed up dude” Brajjit muttered under his breath, “How the…” his thought trailed off.

When it was within range, the man opened fire. Each of the Champions felt a burning pain race through the skulls, and they fell to the ground.

“You are all dead” Mr. Smith proclaimed as he once again took out his phone and issued a command. The sand and sky faded into the gray walls of the hangar once again, and the Champions struggled to pull themselves off the concrete floor. “Except for Iurasia who was smart enough to use Travour as a human shield, ” Mr. Smith continued, “Congratulations Iurasia you are the sole survivor.”

Iurasia looked at Travour, “Sorry there was nothing to hide behind, and you were the biggest person here” she said half smiling.

Travour let out a loud laugh, “I would have done the same thing if I had the opportunity so don’t worry about it.”

Reisha looked at the group with a face that reminded them all of a time in their life when they had disappointed their mother, “What is wrong with you guys? Does anyone care that we were just shot and killed…well, sort of? That was insane! We should all be traumatized not joking around. And what the hell was that electrical shock all about? Do you not care about that?” she shook her head and turned to Mr. Smith.

“Mr. Smith, what on earth are we supposed to learn from this little piece of craziness? Go, on tell us!” she said raising her motherly tone.

“Number one, never go into hostile territory unarmed ever again. Number two, always expect the unexpected. Third, there is no getting up from a real AK-47 fired at your head. Number four…” Mr. Smith paused as Reisha put her hand up in front of him.

“Okay, okay I get it. Sorry I was just a little freaked out as I am sure we all are and I was just …well, you know, scared for myself and the team” Reisha said quietly.

Mr. Smith put his hand on her shoulder and said in a reassuring voice, “I’m sorry, perhaps I should have given you all a little warning of what to expect before going in, you are right. And as for being scared, that’s normal, healthy even.”

Mr. Smith faced the group, “I would rather you learn to overcome those obstacles in here as opposed to out there. You are going to need every ounce of training I can give you, and some of it will not be pleasant but remember the end game here there is a lot at stake, and we don’t have any time left. Now if you will all follow me let’s go see a General about some guns.”

“How many settings does this thing have? Can we do like a pirate thing… or, I know, how about the old west that would be….”

Travour gave Brajjit a playful nudge that almost knocked him off his feet, “Zip it Braj, or next time I use you as a human shield.”

(To be continued…)

That’s it for now! The next story will be published soon. We will keep posting stories every week leading up to the anticipated Project-X announcement.

If you’re interested in reading the individual background life summaries or viewing updated artwork of our Champions and Villains, then please follow the links here: Champions and Villains. The main story that ties all the characters together in Project-X will be updated at the following link as stories are published: Story-line.

As always, your feedback is valuable to us so, please leave a remark here or through the contact us page.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION. NAMES, CHARACTERS, BUSINESSES, PLACES, EVENTS, AND INCIDENTS ARE EITHER THE PRODUCTS OF THE AUTHOR’S IMAGINATION OR USED IN A FICTITIOUS MANNER. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO ACTUAL PERSONS, LIVING OR DEAD, OR ACTUAL EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

MT_Signature

33 thoughts on “Book 4, P9: Odious Optimism – Combat 101

1. revshine101 says:

This is amazing and finally, they are getting training in real time situations. This is good for the champions to save the world from the bad guys. I really like Mr. Smith’s cool attitude. I laughed hard when Lurasia used Travour as a human shield. I am waiting for the next part. Good work. 🙂

2. miakayuuki2012 says:

It makes me happy that finally that politics fiasco is now over , We can now get back to regular programing.

3. valine13 says:

Felt like I kind of late to catch the last story. But maybe this is the intro of the excitement thats going to happen, they really have to train first here and then they will be as powerful as ever.

4. darkkvader says:

Nice environment! Good thing they didnt really die in that battle but it’s really cool to have a ground training first where they can actually feel the pain as if it was real.

5. Geez I wanna see a video of ARMAKZ. Can you guys make one? This is very amazing and I think a drawing won’t be able to justify it. Unless Marcos will surprise us..,.

6. When I saw the picture, I thought the Champions were about to be ambushed! I felt relieved after reading the article LOL! This scenario reminds me of one X-Men movie where Wolverine and Storm were training the new recruits in an augmented reality room. I wish to read more of this on the next installment.

7. Rain Santos-Ocampo says:

This is my favorite installment so far and I love how Mr. Smith is on point with making sure his team is in top shape. Would love to be in his team and get trained by him. He’s my fave character!

8. terrencespencerr says:

Mr. Smith was giving them either a good ‘ole scolding or a proper schooling right there! It would be interesting to see how the Guardians will handle what’s ahead of them.

I liked this installment, I just felt it’s too short! I found it funny that Iurasia turned Travour into a human shield.

10. Albeneth says:

First of all going to a hostile territory unarmed was really not a joke in the first place. I laughed when Travour said to Braj on making him as his human shield..that’s tough! another thing that’s not a joke!

11. rage87 says:

lol. Lurasia is quite smart when she hide at the back of Travour and used Travour as human shield. I guess that ARMAKZ based on the description is like a virtual reality? am I right? It’s a virtual reality simulation where there are actual battle scenes for the champions to practice with during the real life battles. I’m gonna wait what would happened next on the next episode.

12. Kelvin Yu says:

There goes that bright blue uniform again. May I suggest? Can you give them a sort of camouflage uniform next time? Thank you,

13. I wish you could post more pics of their combat training. Describing it in words isn’t enough. I bet it’s gonna be explosive!

14. micorobin says:

I am more of a visual guy than a reader so I feel you. The comics unfortunately is focused on comedy as suppose to depicting this.

15. titanierza says:

That gear is not suited for guerrilla type training. How can you hide properly if you keep on standing out?

16. Grecy Garcia says:

Now they are on training. I imagine what is happening. Good thing you include the training as we have an idea how they will be saving lives. I like Mr. Smith’s attitude. It is cool and I hope his attitude never change.

17. luffyzorro2012 says:

Mr Smith reminds me of Generator Rex’s handler forgot his name. he he I hope the training goes well for our heroes and finally some action.

18. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

There is always that stern cool character in these types of stories. MIB had K, Matrix had that virus dude and Project X has Mr Smith.

19. Let’s see them in combat training! A video or a series of hi-res photos perhaps? That would be very nice. Thanks!

20. Yeah why is it that this kind of storyline always has a Mr. Smith? But I like the Mr. Smith in this story 🙂

21. amaterasu123 says:

I second the motion an on screen training would be nice. Not everything should be off screen. That blows seriously!!!

22. alexsummers123 says:

I hope I get to see more chapters like this. It is an exciting change of pace for a usually slow pace story.

23. Why is it that their uniform reminds me of the overalls of a plumbing company? LOL! I hope you give them a makeover. Besides, the President wants them incognito, right?

24. Miles Cutler says:

Geez why haven’t they started training yet? The city is in disarray and they’re still about to start training? The should get their act together ASAP!

25. So they look like plumbers? You are hilarious Balbina! LOL! But I agree, they need a new uniform!

26. I do not expect less from their training. They should be trained in the most high-tech facility as much as possible! This ARMAKZ training is their best bet to defeat the villains.

27. grayicemake says:

Do villains even train? I think not. Well that super soldier serum will do the trick.

28. skydragonwendymarvell says:

Dude the villains are OP right now so to even up the playing field perhaps they do not train. However heroes need it badly.

29. That comment about plumbers..that was pure LOL! No wonder the President wanted their uniforms changed! This ARMAKZ training ground is so high tech. Good for them, now they can simulate real-life scenarios without getting hurt.

30. nightcrawlerxmen says:

Plumbing company? Wow that was priceless but I agree how do you do stealth if you always stood out? Come on!!!

31. kittyprydexmen says:

Bad gear or not I like this chapter. It progressed the story a lot. Hoping for more of these!!!

32. How will they get out of this? I mean I know this is training but these guys are giving them a hard time. Looks like our heroes are in a pinch. Cannot wait for next week.

33. I have not seen anyone use their special skills yet? They are more than your average joes so a specialty would be nice.