Methods to Make DLC Beneficial for Game Developers. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

In the console oriented generation, downloadable content is the part of a discussion. Many gamers didn’t like the idea of paying more than the price tag for extra content, especially the older gamers who have grown up unlocking new stuff by entering a cheat code or completing tasks. Some gamers also began blaming developers of purposely holding back content in the main game so they could later sell it as DLC. It absolutely didn’t help the developers when the content was being placed on the main game but kept limited regarding making it available later for extra cash.

But despite all of these arguments against it, the DLC has proved to be a huge source for money makers. If gamers enjoy a particular title, they’re ready to pay a few more bucks to get more entertainment out of it, but the condition is DLC should be good.

The following are some methods that proved to be well-worth for the game developers.

1. A Completely Different Scenario: Gamers love getting a new chapter that implements into the main storyline, whether it is added before or after. But sometimes developers go an entirely different route, and it works.
  2. New Mechanics: Adding new mechanics to a game can be difficult from a technical standpoint. Of course, the extra work can pay off awfully since gamers love seeing something new in a game they think have already mastered.
  3. A Look Into The Past: The outstanding part about DLC is that developers are getting more freedom. This is because the content they provide doesn’t certainly have to tie directly into the main storyline regarding the chronological order. Instead, gamers can experience prequel story DLC that takes them back to a significant event that happened before the commencement of the main storyline.
  4. Locations Worth Visiting: Creating enchanting areas is a bigger challenge than most people realize considering to create outstanding DLC since buyers may feel cheated if you give them more of what they already experienced in the main game, even if it’s fabulous. That is why many developers put more effort into creating new locations for their DLC that feels satisfying and fresh.

DLCs are controversial in the way to properly use them, but it remains a viable business model for development studios.

Are you in favor of DLC or you don’t like the idea of downloading the content? What do you think are the advantages or disadvantages of DLC? Tell us in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent.

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

23 thoughts on “Methods to Make DLC Beneficial for Game Developers

1. Not forgetting your roots is a crucial yet neglected fact. Speaking of that an exanole would be COD with Zombies that does not sound right.

2. I agree with new dynamics but got to admit it is pretty hard to come up with ideas particularly for long franchises. The previous comment said COD but you can only stretch a shooting game so long hell they even have zombies now.

3. valine13 says:

I think it is still okay provided that you have to really limit the gaming environment so you can still release the best of the game if they bought it.

4. darkkvader says:

It’s really hard to come up with new ideas thats why games like this are becoming hard for a long run.

5. Albeneth says:

This is a very interesting post that somehow will educate game developers. Also, game developers should look out for more methods to give their players the best game experience.

6. The reason why most gamers hate DLC is because game developers tend to make DLC too short or not worth the money they paid for. DLC that’s say 5$ is equal to say one gun or one outfit that just doesn’t give them the satisfaction of what DLC is supposed to be, an extension of the game, an extra story to be told when they look at the game in question.

7. It turns me off., Period. Most DLCs I encountered were not worth the price.

8. I agree! When you’re so into the game, you wouldn’t mind paying if it means getting into that new level and eventually finish the game. Others won’t even think twice about it. But for those who can’t afford it, sad to say, it’s the end of the line. Tsk tsk.

9. Maury Cheskes says:

If you’re a game fanatic you’ll probably wanna reach into your pocket and get more. Why not broaden the landscape and add more missions and storylines?

10. Maury Cheskes says:

I’m not against DLC. I think most people wouldn’t mind shelling out cash if they enjoyed the game anyway. Developers just have to make sure the DLC is worth it — doing so is always good for business.

12. I do not understand DLC other than a way of taking more money. I mean as a gamer I pay for a whole game not bits and pieces of it.

13. micorobin says:

I hear you hell I played MVC3 and the moment they said that freaking Rockman I am using his anime name here. As I saw that I ask why? Its freaking ROCKMAN.

14. Well DLC is good for developers because they get money from it. But for us gamers? I say not everything in life is free! But that you have to get what you pay for. It has to be worth it.

15. Miles Cutler says:

I am confused. The title of the article is how to make DLC beneficial for game developers. Aren’t they benefiting from it already? We pay for DLC. And this article is directed for gamers. Are we supposed to suggest to developers how they can fleece more money from us?

16. titanierza says:

This topic really does strike a nerve in gamers in particular. I am not against DLC but please do not milk it too much.

17. grayicemake says:

To add to that erza I wish they will do what I call reasonable DLC I mean as a comment said in MVC 3 ROCKMAN was renegaded to DLC and replaced with Arthur> Come on!!! I have nothing against Arthur but I prefer Megaman over him any day.

18. Grecy Garcia says:

From my understanding, it is like buying goods in the market. If you can’t have the service, the product and everything about it for the price you pay, you will be disappointed. However, business is business to the gamer market and for sure revenue first to keep the business growing.

19. Jon says:

Half-baked DLC is a ripoff. I miss the old game

20. amaterasu123 says:

I do not know why it should be emphasize that DLC benefits developers? DLC benefits everybody period aside from the gamers of course!!!

21. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

I hate DLC in most cases because I feel like we are given an incomplete game. I am aware that it is more on business though.

22. I frickin’ hate it. Sorry not sorry! These developers only want to rip off more money from us!

23. I have the same observation as Miles Cutler. I think the question on the article should be, ” How to make DLC attractive for ALL gamers.” I mean, majority of us here are gamers, right? So the article should be directed to us, and ask for our opinion on how DLC can be improved and accessible to all gamers, most especially to those who aren’t willing to pay for it.