Ky's Korner #54: Video Game Hall Of Fame. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hello, Friends!

Okay… I’m not sure why I was unaware of this but… There is a Hall Of Fame for Video Games! Yes! It was created back in 2015 and showcases all types of electronic video games, from consoles & PC to even mobile games. All these games have had some sort of impact on the gaming industry, pop culture or just society in general.

“Video games play an increasingly important role in play, as we now have a generation of children who group playing video games that will soon have a tremendous impact on our culture. All of the games inducted have brought people together.” Says, Jeremy Saucier, Assistant Director of The Strong’s International Center for the History Of Electronic Games. It is certainly true that we live in a day and age where technology has a huge influence on our daily lives and even more so for children. Our younger generations have grown up with this technology, it has become a way of life for them as it has for most of us. Gaming isn’t just about winning, it can teach us to come together no matter what our differences may be. Games that provide such life lessons should surely be recognized, wouldn’t you agree?

This year’s inductees join the ranks of epic games such as Super Mario Brothers, Pong, Tetris, The Legend Of Zelda, Space Invaders & the legendary Pac-Man. No surprise here, all these games are classics. Take Super Mario Brothers for instance, we can all agree this changed the gaming scene and most of us were completely consumed by this game in our younger years and Tetris, I mean, I cannot tell you how many binges Tetris & I have been on together over the years... and Pac-Man… who doesn’t consider this one of the best games ever. It’s like coming home to your favorite meal made with love by mom, it just makes you feel better playing it. Strange analogy maybe but, you know what I mean… lol. I’m glad to see they are still getting the recognition the deserve! Now, if I am literally the only person on the planet just learning about all this, please excuse me but, either way, I am anxious to find out what games made the cut. The inductees were chosen out of 12 finalists that were announced back in March… Let’s take a closer look at our winners this year….

I may be overly excited about this but… I am so happy to report that Donkey Kong, released back in 1981, made a list! Did you know that Donkey Kong is Nintendo’s most profitable game to date, I didn’t. Now that’s a record worth being proud I’d say. Way to Go Donkey Kong! Nowadays this game may seem super simple to most gamers but, it’s definitely is a cult classic and one that I could still play for hours!

Street Fighter II, released in 1991 by Capcom, made the list and who doesn’t love Street Fighter, and yes, I mean the original Street Fighter games. Back in the 90’s this game changed they way we approach games, literally changed how we play. Instead of playing against the game itself, Street Fighter II introduced human to human challenges. We were able to finally play against our friends while playing this arcade style game. It may have sparked a rise in Street Fighting in general but, it also was the beginning of the one-on-one arcade tournaments.

Microsoft’s major hit, released by Xbox in 2001, Halo made it. Of course, it did, and it should have! I’ve played a lot of Halo in my day but, I know people that just could not get enough of it.. talk about a cult classic when this game was released it certainly was a first of it’s kind! Halo reinvented combat games as we knew it… creating a first person shooter with a fine story line complete with the whole online gaming experience. Halo has certainly made its mark, no doubt about it.

We certainly couldn’t have a list without this next one… it was launched back in 1996 by Nintendo and was produces specifically for the Game Boy… That’s right, it’s Pokémon. Now, I’ll be honest, this is one of those games I just never really got into but, one must give credit where credit is due. It was pretty much one of the very first official handheld games, providing players with over 150 unique monsters to choose from. Pokémon Red & Green sparked a gaming revolution and is still keeping up with the times by creating ever-evolving gameplay strategies.

I figured since were discussing it, I would provide you with a link of the actual ceremony of induction. Seeing it first hand really is pretty impressive… Just in case you felt like it, I figured I’d make your search a little easier, I’m here for you friends! Go ahead, have a look see…

Well, guys, that’s it for today… I hope you have enjoyed learning who our winners were this year… And I do hope your favorites made the list or have the list already….

As always, thank you so very much for stopping by Ky’s Korner today… Let’s chat again real soon!!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

22 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #54: Video Game Hall Of Fame

1. skydragonwendymarvell says:

Pokemon does not surprise me. Hell even know the world is still going crazy thanks to Pokemon Go.

2. grayicemake says:

I am lucky enough to come across all of these platforms. Tetris, Arcades, Fast forward to Xbox and PS4. Damn I feel old ha ha…

3. Gameboy!!! Oh I feel nostalgic watching that video. Gameboy has been a big part of my teenage years til early 20s (can you guess my age? LOL!). It deserves to be in the hall of fame!

4. Atari and Pacman,,,the defining games of the 80s, I say the 80s was the defined by the rise of technology (the personal computer was introduced into the homes). And game consoles were also introduced and became mainstream during this decade.

5. Albeneth says:

Yes I agree. Video games play a special part in my life. The games I play like simply help relax my mind and my stress reliever. I even got a gameboy before exactly as what you posted where I was even addicted to play the Pokemon game.

6. valine13 says:

Oh gameboy. I remember the time I got one for my birthday. It’s very memorable to me, I was so addicted playing so much games especially Pokemon.

7. darkkvader says:

Remembered my youth suddenly haha. Now I felt so much busier I dont have time but now that I think about it, I always want to go back to me playing alot and having a lot of time. Theyre all hall of fame.

8. cheskblog says:

Seems like everything’s up to date. If it were up to me, that duck hunt game from Super Nintendo would also get a mention, haha.

9. The Nintendo Family Computer has been a very big part of my growing up years. It’s also responsible for my gaming addiction now ahahahaha! But it’s all good. I reckon many of you can relate, yeah?

10. Such nostalgia. It reminded me that I’m so old and that I’ve been a gaming enthusiast for a long time! Thank you for this article Ky Lynn 🙂

When I read the title I thought you meant hall of fame for those people who scored high on the games. Anyway, glad to read the classic games are all there! And they became popular before social media/internet so that makes them even more impressive.

12. Grecy Garcia says:

Whatever was on the lists, I know they are being studied and worth to be in the lists. I never experienced nintendo. I only have Pacman and Mario Bros as far as I remember. Maybe I don’t know the others because I failed to have the console at home before.

13. George Mayne says:

This brought back so many memories for me. Especially when I first got hooked on Tetris.

14. xiaoran0095 says:

pokemon go was so short lived its like it never happened. Mario bros though is a legend!

15. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

Sadly today generation will never experience this first hand. Thankfully, articles like these are here for them.

16. titanierza says:

I Believe these retro tech will be back once again. I mean dresses have that trend? hairstyles have that why not this?

17. I nominate Donkey Kong! Childhood fave. Even until now!

18. Kelvin Yu says:

Aside from Super Mario Bros., my other favorites back then were Galaga and Twin Bee. Then I moved to Street Fighter. That escalated quickly! LOL!

19. Never thought of that but he is right wt happened to Pokemon Go? IT was crazy last year but now its too quiet. I never played Mario recently but that game is already a legend.

20. I use to spend a lot of time into arcades. Sadly those systems are gone due to technology. I Hope it will return though it is unlikely.

21. Glad to see Street Fighter on the list. I used to spend a lot of time after class at video game arcades to play Street Fighter. Zangief was my favorite!

22. Gameboy baby! Instant classic! I hope they’d come up with a new one. I still have my old one though. Just curious how they would re-imagine Gameboy for today. Just like those tiny NES they released this year.