How You Know You Are a Video Game Fan? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Video games have been with us for over 50 years now. There are many older people who have enduring memories connected with this geekiest of hobbies. You don’t have to be feeble to have fond remembrances of piling coins into the arcade machines throughout the 1980s. The main problem with any video games, old or new is their addictive qualities that keep you stuck in and refuse to let go until you and your money are exhausted.

You will well know whether you spent too much time on playing the arcade or video games in your formative years or not. If you did, then you will relate to some of the following points:

1. You Always Want to Play One More: You get addicted to video games easily, denying anyone to beat you, no matter how unenjoyable the experience may be. Whether it is a hardcore RPG or a childish party game, you will not give up, always wanting just one more chance to do your best. This habit of having another chance was born in the arcades, where games were meant to keep you involved for as long as possible. You would get to a specific point or hit a particular score before missing the plot and having to spend more money to do better the next time.
  2. You Are Expert at Games: You have great skills when it comes to playing games. You may not always perform well in every single game you try your hand at, but usually, you grasp games promptly and don’t give up on trying your best to complete them. This is because your gaming courage was formed at a time when a lot of games were easy. Arcade games were created to be challenging so that you don’t win in the first go and feel forced to keep pumping more money in. And you would do exactly that, which results in enhanced gaming skills.
  3. You Appreciate Gameplay Over Graphics: You like new games, with their deeply engaging environments and state-of-the-art visuals, but these graphics aren’t as valuable as the gameplay. You would rather prefer playing a crappy looking retro title with gameplay to die for than an amazingly gorgeous modern game with tacky gameplay. This is because you grew up and got into gaming at a time when gameplay was all that the developers had to focus on. Of course here were titles pushing the visual boundaries of what was possible with the technology, but the gameplay was always the focus element that separated good from bad.

Tell us about your habits in the comments section that make you a true video game fan!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

42 thoughts on “How You Know You Are a Video Game Fan?

1. Maury Cheskes says:

I don’t think I fall under this category, but I’ve definitely seen it firsthand. I had some friends that would play World of Warcraft and I’d be subjected to watching them play and they practically forgot I was there. Some people get trapped in the gaming universe and don’t want to escape.

2. terrencespencerr says:

This is quite true for me, specially points number 1 and 3. Though I might not be always an expert in games that I play, I always find myself wanting to play one more round (specially in fighting games) as well as being quite appreciative on the gameplay aspect instead of the graphics department, which only helps to enhance experience, for me at least.

3. valine13 says:

I dont fall under the category of being an expert. I think I’m just a fan and loves playing and trying these cool games.

4. darkkvader says:

I love games and I also graphics. But anyway, I even play the old ones that dont have that much quality before. So maybe it’s okay for me after all!

I consider myself a fan but in no way am I an expert. When I was younger I can’t wait to play but nowadays I just appreciate the games knowing that people worked hard to create an engaging one.

6. micorobin says:

I consider myself a fan but not as technical as the reasons listed. I am a fan of a game simply because I love it.

7. miakayuuki2012 says:

I agree with MICO. The first thing of loving a game or being a fan of it is LOVE. Other variables such as gameplay just follows.

8. You always want to play… just one more time… Every fan could relate to this.

9. When I was younger, I’d spend all my money playing at video arcades. I was addicted to Street Fighter! Oh those were happy times, even if I get scolded all the time by my parents because I’m always broke LOL!

10. Guilty on all three points! Well, aren’t we all? 🙂 I’m no expert in one game but I can confidently say that I can play most games. I’ve tried a lot of games.

11. Grecy Garcia says:

Oh no, I think I am not. I haven’t been playing games, or maybe I played Mario Bros before and some Pacman, the old games. I want to play more and more whenever I upgraded my score. However, right now, I haven’t been playing games. I love graphics over the game so I guess I am not a gamer for now.

12. Nanette says:

I don’t fall to the third category. Most of the time, I always prefer the graphics. I love colorful and smooth graphics when I’m playing. But yeah, category 1 and two describes me. Haha!

13. nightcrawlerxmen says:

Even though playing is a factor in loving games who says that you should always get your hands on them? Me for example I am a fan of games but I orefer story modes over gameplay.

14. kittyprydexmen says:

I am not sure if I qualify but I have experience no 3. THe feeling that you are so into the game that you forget everything. In my case it is eating and going to the bathroom lol….

15. Albeneth says:

Yes I admit I am a video game fan. My most favorite game that I couldn’t afford to skip even a day is the Clash of Clans. Really love the graphics and the idea of how the game works.

16. Can I add? I reckon we’re all guilty of being gaming fans if we don’t mind going through some second-hand treasure hunting just to look for hard-to-find titles. Or that one game that you really, really want!

17. Miles Cutler says:

I’m sure we’re guilty with a lot of geeky things but yeah, these three are tops. But #1 borders on being a video game addict. “Just one more game…” LOL! 🙂

18. baguiotherese says:

I am a video game fan but definitely not an expert. I think experts fall into the “designer” or “creator” kind of level. I never get tired playing old games and always search for new ones. I am also up for both the story and graphics. Thanks for this post.

19. grayicemake says:

I am nowhere near to call myself expert but I do have that ONE MORE GAME SYNDROME. It is similar to when we wake up in the morning and say FIVE MORE MINUTES PLEASE!!!

20. skydragonwendymarvell says:

I think moderation like with everything is the key here. However at one point I admit I am guilty of all three he he…

21. This post is for all of us guys! I still can’t call myself an expert at ALL genre, Although I really want to, it’s just that I can’t find time to try other games. My resolution this year is to go out of my comfort zone and try new games!

22. Well I’ve just started a few years ago, I can’t really say I’m a big fan. I mean I do have my favorites and there are some games that I wouldn’t give a second look. I love video games, that’s all.

23. True, I appreciate the story and gameplay more than the graphics. Well current games have awesome graphics anyway so I really don’t mind them now. Just look at Red Dead Redemption 2. They’ve been delaying it because they’re making sure the gameplay is unique. But if you look at the graphics, it’s already mind-blowing!

24. Kelvin Yu says:

I’m not and expert! But I’ve played almost all genre. My favorite is horror/survival. I’ve tried almost all horror and survival games but I still can’t master them! More practice I guess.

25. King says:

I disagree. Video game fans can come in all shapes and sizes, mentality and interests. If you play video games and like playing video games, then you are a fan, That’s it. You may prefer pretty graphics more or may not be good at a game, that doesn’t gatekeep you from being a fan. Come on.

26. John says:

I don’t understand how preference of gameplay over graphics make you a fan and preference of the other does not.

27. Patrick says:

I play Overwatch. I’m Silver. I know I’m not good, but I’m still a huge fan. I really don’t agree with this.

28. Jean Grey says:

I do understand the sentiment of prefering gameplay over graphics, but graphics is a sure sign of technological improvements made over the years. You can still be a fan of video games and look towards to future.

29. Linus J. Peterson says:

Oy my god. This is totally me. I’m 14 and a huge fan of video games and I totally fit all of these criteria.

30. Stop this shit says:

Jesus. How is this even a thing. Stop gatekeeping real fans please!

31. Mary says:

Becareful of Number 1. Video game addiction is NOT a joke people! It’s a real issue. Please seek help if you are addicted. God Bless.

32. Joseph says:

Wow. Apparently only a selected few can be true fans of video games. Please don’t make this a thing.

33. Yuta says:

Everyone can be a video game fan as long as they like video games. People have different interests. This is very selective.

34. xiaoran0095 says:

I guess im not a fan of videos games. I enjoy playing it but i can live without it

35. kadoyatsukasa123 says:

Fan of the game in which context? MeI love games but It is never a drud to me. I am ,ore into anime to be honest.

36. titanierza says:

I have been a gamer once but I always keep it in check my secret time management. Gaming eats up alot of time and it hooks you if you are not one who sets priorities.

37. Being a “fan” is not only limited to the three points mentioned. The last sentence asked for our habits that make us a fan. If I may add, I consider myself a video game fan because I buy new releases on the first day. I want bragging rights.

38. Hey, hey, hold your horses everyone. The article clearly says “fan” ok? It didn’t say “addiction.” There’s a big distinction between the two.

39. Phew The comments are getting heated out here. Anyway, easy guys for me even if a fan becomes an addict I would take that anyday compared to being hooked on something unlawful.

40. Yes the law of lesser evils however, game addiction can be destructive. I have seen people not eat not take bathroom breaks even spend thousands of pesos for games. That is not a red flag.

41. To beastxmen2012: I am confused with your comment. Not eating nor taking bathroom breaks and spend thousands on games aren’t red flags? Seriously? So what is a red flag for you then? If you’re on a gaming marathon and you don’t pause for even a pee break can be very harmful to your body. You can die from it. Geez,

42. zhangisiung says:

one more : you spend more time talking about the video games than playing the actual game itself. Cause as you got better, you don’t need that much time to beat the game.