Ky's Korner #50: Video Gaming Industry May Face Hard Times With Trade Tariff... Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Howdy Friends!

This issue has me a bit concerned so, I figured I write about it today, and you guys can let me know your thoughts on it all…. Us gamers have to stick together in times like this. Okay, so Trump is now in the process of rolling out trade tariffs. If you are unsure what that means, it’s cool. Let me explain….

A tariff is pretty much a form of taxing used to raise prices on imported goods from other countries. This has the gaming world in an uproar right now….this means games and consoles included, could eventually become much more expensive to purchase, much more costly than anything made domestically… Such as Nintendo and Nintendo Switch.

My guess is that since Trump is a great businessman, (we’ve gotta give him that much) he is looking for ways to get more money for our country and bring us out of this debt.  I get it but, at the same time, I don’t think it’s fair to make us pay more for things that are already so expensive. Is this really necessary?? I’m sure there are other ways to cut corners, wouldn’t you agree??

Rumors leading up to Trump’s election suggested that he and his team were considering a 5% tariff increase or possibly even a 10% increase. Then, just this past Monday, Trump signed an executive order, withdrawing us from the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Polygon has already reached out to the Entertainment Software Association, early Monday morning, following the withdrawing from Trans-Pacific, just to see how exactly this will affect the gaming industry as a whole. They also asked if the ESA is considering lobbying against the tariffs. I sure hope they do… I would hate to see prices go up so much that us hard workers, cannot afford to keep favorite past time any longer. That would be so morose! I mean we already to our best to keep up with it all and that would make it absolutely impossible for so many. Considering the three largest gaming consoles are manufactured in China.

“We are looking into the issue and can provide more information shortly.” says a spokesperson for ESA.

Now, a big concern of mine is that… this may encourage other countries to tariff products coming from here in the United States. Let’s all hope this doesn’t start some sort of trade war or something.

At this point this is all hearsay, but, Polygon is right, Trump does hold power in this situation, of course, not only is he is our president and that “trumps” anyone else’s opinion (no pun intended lol) but, he has influence over pretty much anything…and if he feels it’s what’s best, and we all know it’s not but, he will make it happen. Let’s face it… a guy like Trump isn’t worried about getting his next gaming fix.. he could care less about us and the gaming world in general. That’s not to say that he is a horrible person and/or President, just that his focus lies in different areas. Whether he a good president or not is beside the fact. Not trying to spark a debate here either friends… lol.

No one is sure exactly how far the impact with reach and, how much it will directly affect the gaming industry but, I am pretty sure it will have some sort of impact, whether it will be huge or not is yet to be seen.

Woah! Hold the presses! Literally just read that we are already having trade issues with Canada. It may not be their gaming industry suffering, mainly their lumber but, still, this does not make me feel any better. Check this out…

How do you feel about all this? Do you think it will affect our industry? Will it affect us in a good way or a bad? What are your thoughts, my friends?? Do you agree with anything he said… would we be sacrificing for the greater good? Not, sure how to feel about all this… I just know I don’t want much of anything to have an increase in prices, especially since nearly everything can be so expensive already, these days. I don’t want this to be one of those situation’s where they keep raising prices just because they see how much money it creates.

Anywho… Let me know your thoughts and comment friends. I know there are quite a few of you that surely have an opinion on this and truth be told, I am not a very political person. If you have more insight on where you think all this will go… Seriously, let me hear it!

Thanks so much for stopping by Ky’s Korner today! Be sure to check in tomorrow!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

20 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #50: Video Gaming Industry May Face Hard Times With Trade Tariff…

1. valine13 says:

I agree that if everything is already expensive, I won’t like the fact that it can also be another reason for a more miserable cause of spending too much.

2. darkkvader says:

Nothing’s too easy now. I think this is bad news for us. We dont live for money alone you know. What’s more important is that it creates convenience and does little harm to the society.

3. Grecy Garcia says:

It could affect in a bad way because any increase in prices to anything about commodities is a pain in the pocket. Some people might find better idea, choose a cheaper gaming console than the branded ones because anything that is expensive that will be more expensive because of the tariffs will cringe them for sure, even if they can afford it.

4. Maury Cheskes says:

Wow, they’ll just slap anything to make it more costly. If the gaming industry is this upset about increases in prices they should campaign so their voice will be heard.

What other industries are affected by this? The thing is gaming is something we could live without and let’s admit it, it could also be addicting. Placing tariffs could discourage people to buy which could have a positive outcome. Just trying to look at this at a different angle here– I guess it’s better to put tariff on the entertainment industry than on food?

1. Ky Lynn says:

No you are absolutely right! Its better to raise prices on things that aren’t really that important in the grand scheme of things… But I was more making it an example of how almost anything that is important could soon be even more expensive.

6. Never thought we would be venturing into politics and economy in this blog! I don’t want to incite anything by taking sides. But all I can say is this: we don’t have to accept everything the government shoves into our throats. If this proposed increase in trade tariff is gonna happen soon, then let our dissenting voices be heard!

7. This can’t happen. I agree, everything is now very expensive. I can’t even buy games on release dates! For the past couple of years, majority of the games that I bought are second-hand. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just that it shows how expensive new games have become lately.

8. Albeneth says:

What I feel about this issue is that it could really affect the society. But gamers this time should be responsible to spend bucks on their games. Their inclination to play should not compromise their style of living.

9. Trump is bullying everybody. Yes he is a businessman. He wants to take us out of a gargantuan debt. But being the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth doesn’t mean you can have your way all the time. And we are paying the price of his inefficiency.

10. Sorry but Justin Trudeau is just so adorable 🙂 A very nice contrast to Trump LOL! He has a lot of convincing to do with this trade tariff. He has to convince us that paying more will save us in the long run. For me, it makes no sense!

1. Ky Lynn says:

Haha! Yes he is!! I totally agree!! LOL

11. revshine101 says:

Yeah, already gaming consoles are a little bit costly but I don’t think he hasn’t thought about the problems regarding the withdrawing. I am sure he have considered all the facts and categories which affect while doing any sort of action. but he may take some other actions to solve the problem and consider all the people who depend on it. So let’s wait and watch.

12. Kelvin Yu says:

I reckon there will be few releases and it will get expensive too. Gaming companies might resort to “exclusive” releases and jack up the price so they can profit if this trade tariff will be implemented. Hard times ahead!

13. We need a leader, not a businessman who tweets “covfefe” and other nonsense every now and then. I do hope the gaming industry will pursue their lobby against this increase in trade tariff. We can also sign a petition at change.org!

14. Miles Cutler says:

I believe the President has only good intentions and places the country’s interests above all else. I agree Ky, this trade tariff will benefit us all in the long run. Let’s give him a chance.

15. Yes, consoles will be more expensive. But that’s not the only thing that’s gonna get expensive. Almost everything! This is unacceptable!

16. bbestari says:

I don’t see any objective reason that all the changes he made is really needed by the american. maybe he has his own perspective how to run the country, but that’s against all the logic, ain’t it. I wonder if US gamers could do a strike back perhaps.

17. WEll price hike is a trend nowadays not hust fir gaming but for everything. I am not surprise at all to be honest. Thankfully discount sales are still here.

18. micorobin says:

Even the gaming industry is not safe in price hikes huh? I just hope that it will not be too high otherwise it will scare off potential gamers and long time clients.