Ky's Korner #45: Brain Chip Allows Paralyzed Patient To Play Video Games... Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Howdy Friends!

Did you know….

While we’re over here enjoying all the advancements in technology through our favorite gaming system… incredible technology is being perfected to change people lives! Scientists have actually…for real…created a chip, powered by ARM, that can be implanted into the brain that helps those with brain and spinal injuries; it will lie inside the skull.

This chip has been designed to create movement and feeling when before there was none. Amazing! I am so happy to hear this news and grateful to hear we are finally making strides in this area. We can do so many things with technology these days and too often I wonder why more hasn’t been done to improve lives already...do you ever find yourself feeling this way? While this is all great news, scientists say the technology won’t be completely ready for use for another 10 years or so.

“They have some early prototype devices. The challenge is power consumption and the heat that it generates, they needed something ultra-small, with ultra-low power.” Says Peter Ferguson, ARM’s Director of Healthcare technologies.

The first stage is to generate a chip that withholds a system that transmits signals from the brain to a sensor implanted into the spinal cord. This will allow spinal cords victims and or neurological patients to control their mobility. CSNE also wants the device to receive information by sending signals back to it so that the brain begins to remember the movements. This would give people the ability to tell their brain how tightly to hold something or for how long. For patients who have suffered a stroke can also benefit from this… Being able to reteach the brain this way is crucial to the healing process, even more so for the permanent repairing this has the potential for.

“Not only are they trying to read the signals from the brain, but to feed something back to it. When you think about people with spinal cord injuries, the ability to use technology to bridge the spinal cord to get muscles to move again and more, that’s the far vision.” Ferguson further explained.

I read this article recently about a man who is taking this technology even further. You can’t keep this true gamer down for long and even though he is paralyzed, he still is determined to live and love his life! So inspirational to me, just incredible!

About a month ago, Ian Burkhart, was able to use his hands to play a specialized video game program for the first time since being in an accident that broke his neck. He was 18 while on vacation with his family, swimming in the ocean, a huge wave hit and pulled him under. As he struggled to swim to the surface another wave threw him crashing into a sandbar, the impact was too much and caused a severe spinal injury…Ian was paralyzed from the chest down.

When he turned 24, Burkhart opted to have the surgery to implant the chip. This gave Ian range of motion in his fingers, allowing to grasp cups and other items. This made him wonder if he could do more. Researchers created a game much like Guitar Hero, with the guitar and everything as well as a game closely related to “Frets On Fire.” It is because of Ian’s progress, scientists now believe technology will someday be able to give those with quadriplegic injuries, the ability to move freely and continue to do the activities they once loved.

Burkhart’s story truly is a first of it’s kind. In the past we have seen technology that allows the user to move a cursor across a screen or the ability to move a prosthetic arm or leg but, this is the first time someone has been able to move their limbs with just their thoughts alone. This lets Ian send signals from his brain to his hands just as he used to before his accident. As he says in the video above, it has given him back the movement he had in the past, as if he is not paralyzed at all. What an incredible gift! To have gone through something too tragic and heartbreaking to finally having hope for the future. He is excited to grow with this technology and to keep progressing. Who knows what’s in store for him! At this rate, paralyzed patients may even be able to walk again, to live the life they intended. I hope the next time we read about him, he is doing just that. I for one want to follow his story and see how it continues. How inspired are you by his story? Are you as inspired by him as I am? This is a man that decided to take a chance on something that was relatively considered unknown territory and now he’s changing the world. All I can say is…Way to go Ian!! Keep it up!!

That’s my story for today friends! Thanks so much for stopping by Ky’s Korner… Let’s do chat again very soon!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

42 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #45: Brain Chip Allows Paralyzed Patient To Play Video Games…

1. Truly inspiring! I wish they could try this also to people with locked-in syndrome. It’s a very high-level type of stroke wherein a patient is conscious but could only move his/her eyeballs and eyelids. So communication is very challenging because the patient can only blink or roll the eyeballs (which corresponds to yes/no).

1. Ky Lynn says:

Hopefully they are on the right track and can help many different types of disorders… Hopefully this is just the beginning!

2. Thank you Ky for sharing this great news! This really made me happy as I know some people who suffered stroke, although not as sever as Ian’s. Tech companies should focus more on this kind of things, making our lives better or finding solutions to our healthcare problems. I hope that product development time frame of 10 years can be shortened.

1. Ky Lynn says:

You are so welcome friend! These issues are important to me as well. I just want people to be able to live the lives they want to live and however they want to live it. We all should have that right. And yes, technology has come so far, I feel like more should could have been done already, hopefully this is just a great starting point. Thanks for you comment!

3. This is a really inspirational story. Bukhart’s family must be really thankful for this miracle in technology. The brain chip should open many doors in medical rehabilitation.

4. miakayuuki2012 says:

This is truly a miracle. I cannot begin to imagine how much more this innovation will change lives. Thank you Lynn.

1. Ky Lynn says:

You are so very welcome. The story is just such an inspiration to me as well friend, glad you feel the same.

5. Mumarticles says:

This is an awesome post. I think it’s great that technology paves way for people to have another chance in life.

6. Grecy Garcia says:

It makes me think that everything is possible and there is always a solution to everyone’s problem. This is very inspiring. I will follow the story too because it makes me push myself to believe and have faith in Humanity.

7. grayicemake says:

How do you implant this exactly? I mean as far as I know the brain is very delicate. Even experts are afraid to touch it.

1. Ky Lynn says:

Very true! I think they remove a piece of the skull and implant it onto the brain then out the piece of skull back…for lack of better words… But I agree, it must be a very tedious procedure to say the least.

8. valine13 says:

What a miracle! Everything seems possible now with the help of technology.I think it’s really good when technology is used for purposes like helping people in the society.

1. Ky Lynn says:

I totally agree! Well said!

9. darkkvader says:

I remember someone with this as well and he was able to speak using a computer and I dont know how it’s done. It is really cool.

10. This is truly a wonderful use of modern technology. There are so many people that are going to be able to benefit from this invention. It is amazing the things that we can do with technology, and how it keeps advancing.

11. It really amazes me how technology has evolved in such a rapid pace. And with technology being used to better human lives, that’s really admirable. I hope you feature more of this kind of stories.

12. This reminds me of the late Christopher Reeves’s foundation. I think they were also looking for a way for the brain to reach the peripheral nerves of the hands and feet, bypassing the spinal cord. The Superman actor had spinal cord injury and was paralyzed from the neck down. He would have benefited from this new milestone in technology.

1. Ky Lynn says:

Oh yes, I grew up watching Christopher Reeves myself… My #1 Superman..always and forever! I was broken hearted to see my Superman so frail..I also wish this could have happened in his lifetime. It surely could have saved him.

13. kakatut says:

This is amazing, and all this because of One Gamer’s desire to stay true to himself and to enjoy life like the Romans intended us to! La dolce vita, and what not!

14. chibimari1212 says:

What a good news! Yes, I’m agree that Ian’s story is inspiring. And just like you, I want to follow the story as well.

15. loveylucy says:

We live in the era that everything is possible with tech. And this is so heartwarming ❤

16. SJ says:

Interesting story indeed. Let’s hope it comes sooner than 10 years!

1. Ky Lynn says:

Yes! Lets hope! It should be, I mean come on scientists and millionaires with bookoos of money for funding… Lets do this already!

17. Elvin says:

This chip would be able to help millions of people everyday. I just hope the cost would not be that much of a hassle for some people.

1. Ky Lynn says:

Well, we all know the healthcare system and how it loves to bleed you dry… especially when they first create a cure for something. I’m sure, sadly, it will not be easily accessible to the average Joe at first. Unless, you have some awesome health insurance that approves it.

Such great news! On one hand, it’s scary like we’re in a path similar to those depicted in sci-fi movies where computers/technology control everything instead of humans. On one hand it is a great help to mankind.

19. bbestari says:

I’m curious how it works. it’s so edgy. they should cover the story on natgeo

1. Ky Lynn says:

The chip sends signals to the brain allowing your brain to send signals to limbs allowing for movement. Natgeo…Ill research it! Thanks for your comment!

20. baguiotherese says:

What a great story! I cannot wait to see it perfected in the next 10 years or so. It’s amazing how chips can help paralyzed people or people with spinal and brain injury recover and heal. This is amazing work of science.

21. Thank you for sharing this Ky! It really brightened up my day. Reading articles like this restores my faith in humanity!

1. Ky Lynn says:

Awww your so welcome, and I’m glad reading this brightened your day! That makes me happy!

22. That’s awesome! I don’t know how to play the guitar but I can tell that he’s really good. I hope they develop this chip ASAP into something something safe and sustainable so patients like Ian won’t have to wait another 10 years.

1. Ky Lynn says:

Me too friend.. Me too!!!

23. Great news and a big road of hope for those who are waiting to move their limbs as per their will and wish. Thinking the speed of technological development today it won’t take long time to achieve the desired result. Let us hope for the best.

24. rage87 says:

This technological advancement is truly incredible. This will greatly help in the therapy of paralyzed patients and thus, gives hope to them that they can still be able to do activities which they normally do when they are still capable of doing so.

25. revshine101 says:

Very inspirational Ky. And hats off to Ian and his determination to move again. He is truly a great example for everyone who is out there and he is showing to the world what he can do setting an example. I am happy that our technology is growing even in this field and it is so great to hear. I hope the brain chips will evolve into a very large technology helping millions of paralyzed patients according to their needs.

26. Miles Cutler says:

Good news! Thanks for this Ky. I’ve read several articles already about advances in neurosciences and technology but so far, this is the one I am so impressed about. Truly inspiring!

27. Great use of technology! I wish they can develop further this chip as soon as possible so people who suffer from brain injuries can benefit from it. I had friends and family members who had stroke or some brain injury and it’s really devastating. This gives me hope.

28. Albeneth says:

This sounds interesting for paralyzed people to have a chance in making movements and feelings again. Imagine how our world become more advance with this chip to implant in the brain to help those with brain and spinal injuries. Amazing!

29. Kelvin Yu says:

Yes Ky, let’s keep track of Ian’s progress! I kinda like that idea. Or maybe you can have something like this once in a while. How technology/gaming has helped or improved human lives.

30. This is very good news. I am at awe at how technology is being used these days. I thought it’s all about gadgets and appliances. Technology in medicine is way more amazing!

31. This warms my heart. As a healthcare professional, I appreciate how technology has helped the lives of our patients suffering from different illnesses. Seeing people do what they used to do before their illness or injury is really life-changing.