Ky's Korner #42: No More Hitman?? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Animation. Media. Entertainment. Woman Owned.

Hi, friends…

Sadly, my news may not be that happiest of subjects today but… I am here to report the truth… good or bad. While we know the future is never written in stone, it looks as if the future of Hitman may be in jeopardy. I know… I know, it’s sad to even think about, isn’t it?? I am a HUGE Hitman fan and I would be devastated if the series did not continue. Hitman has such a huge following and it’s been far too successful for its creators and developers to have to let it go now, but they may have no choice. This is disheartening news considering the mass popularity of the game.

Right now the creators have focused on the Elusive Target series, and it’s doing very well and from what I’ve heard, the latest installment just may be the best one yet. Developers IO Interactive, have been focusing on the episodes since 2016 producing 24 of them in fact. The release of another full disc game has been pushed back due to the production of this episodic series. This is the link to the Hitman website if you want to give this episode a go… https://hitman.com/news/elusive-target-24

Check out the trailer for episode 24- The Bad Boy here:

And here is a little Gameplay teaser, just so you know what you’re getting into:

Okay, now with all being said you may be wonder why in the world the future of this game is uncertain… and honestly, I’m wondering myself. But, this is why I am so concerned…

IO Interactive has just lost it’s most influential financial contributor. Square Enix has decided to part ways in order to focus on other projects, leaving IO to face a possible foreclosure. The fact they are so focused right now on the episodic series and have failed to produce a full-fledged game in quite some time may have the company in danger. Without a huge number of sales and without their largest contributor, funds are more than tight. Square Enix has released this statement:

“To maximize player satisfaction, as well as market potential going forward, we are focusing our resources and energies on key franchises and studios. As a result, the company has regrettably decided to withdraw from the business of IO Interactive, a wholly owned subsidiary, and Danish corporation, as of March 31st, 2017.”

“This decision has resulted in the extraordinary loss amounting to 4,898 million yen, including the disposition of content production account related to the business and impairment loss of intangible assets, in the financial results for the fiscal year ended March 31st, 2017.”

However, dropping IO Interactive has cost Square Enix, what they call an “extraordinary loss,” I’d say so… in U.S dollars it’s only a $42 million dollar loss. Yeah, that’s still huge! They are hoping to sell the studio to a larger company, but have also stated:

“Whilst there can be no guarantee’s that the negotiations will be concluded successfully, they are being explored since this is in the best interest of out shareholders, the studio and the industry as a whole.”

To me, this means they really have no idea what will happen next… And as far as IO Interactive goes, it looks like they may have trouble even releasing season 2 of the series.

Creating a game as large as Hitman, with so much detail, with large amounts of repayable content, and the constant add-on’s and updates, the price tag gets highly expensive… possibly too expensive for Square Enix and this may, in fact, be the direct cause of their decision to split. Even with the success of Absolution, and selling over 3 million units worldwide on PC, despite receiving less than generous reviews… Last years Hitman to sell just a little over 650,000 units since its release. Those numbers aren’t great friends… and has me wondering just how this could happen??

This is a huge blow to the ego for Hitman and its future. IO Interactive has now branched out, resulting in a franchise for the series with the expansion of its episodes so that it is not just another game on a shelf somewhere but, instead of a platform for the development of future seasons with a 2nd season already in development.

I certainly have my fingers crossed in hopes that another company comes to Hitman’s rescue and saves our beloved Agent 47 from complete dissolution. I have been a long time fan and hate to think we may never get the chance to see how his story continues.

Well, that’s all I have to report today, wish it was better news but, it is what it is and hopefully IO Interactive can turn this around. It’s not impossible, but I think the only shot they may have is to release another full fledged game, so let’s all hope that’s exactly what they do and quick!

Thanks friends for stopping by Ky’s Korner! Let’s chat again real soon!

To read more from Ky Lynn click here

ky_signature

20 thoughts on “Ky’s Korner #42: No More Hitman??

1. valine13 says:

Oh that’s a very sad news. Know nothing about square enix. All I know is that they are such a great company providing a lot of awesome games. I didnt know theyre having this problem.

2. darkkvader says:

Felt bad for this game. I hope it can still continue.

3. Grecy Garcia says:

That is sad. Although I don’t know about the game, for sure it has lots of fans or game enthusiasts that enjoy this game. They will be really sad like you because it seems that the game has potential. They lost a lot of money so I think they will not continue on this one.

4. Whaaat? I’m a huge fan too! This can’t be happening. I also thought Hitman has a huge following because it is so popular. That huge drop in sales is unreal.

5. Sad day indeed! Well, in the end, business is business. If they can’t make a profit out of something, they let it go. Can we make a petition to save this game???

1. Ky Lynn says:

I know right! We def should make a petition! I was thinking the same thing!

6. No surprise, Squenix botches everything they do. Tomb Raider didn’t meet expectations and the sequel did even worse, expect that to be next. Or Deus Ex, Mankind Divided did quite poorly. My opinion tho

7. Wow I didn’t see this coming. I feel the same way too, Ky. I thought this series was doing well. I was even looking forward to a new release.

8. Sad to see another wonderful game about to die because of business moves. I do wish IO Interactive can partner with another grouo to save Hitman ASAP. I don’t believe those numbers! A lot of gamers that I know are Hitman fanatics too!

9. I feel the same way guys at first at least. Do not get me wrong it is sad but because of the delay. It is not like the game is saying goodbye anytime soon. I repeat the release date is getting delayed.

10. I wish they’d develop one more game to end the series the right way. At least we get a closure to this beloved game. What do you think guys?

11. No way! This is the saddest news you’ve shared so far! It’s been a while since I played Hitman, but I am also looking forward to the new game. Oh well, it’s all business to them!

12. Well as they say change happens. I Hope it is true that it will only be delayed not a prelude of phasing out. Either way we are and will always miss HITMAN.

13. deltamoe says:

While this may be a sad news, we must look at the light it could bring. Being apart from Square Enix, IO will be forced on taking a new venture for better or for worse. With no higher command to control what are the do’s and dont’s, IO can freely do what they want. Albeit it may be a hard venture, if they manage it correctly, they may produce a worthy successor of Hitman.

14. Kelvin Yu says:

I agree deltamoe. Square Enix will have more freedom to develop new games. But IO should also consider us, Hitman fans, who’ve been longing for a follow-up. This isn’t the right way to end a beloved game.

15. Sad but it’s reality. That’s how business goes. What I hope at this time is that IO will find a collaborator so Hitman can end properly.

16. grayicemake says:

Hitman has been on a decline lately, my opinion However IT is hard to believe that this could be the beginning of the end. Hell. I have not played the game yet lol.

17. Miles Cutler says:

I’ve seen this coming. I read a few articles months ago about Square Enix’s other ventures. Not much we can do. Or I think there is, I saw a comment above about a petition. That would be a good idea!

18. I’m a big fan too. I’m at a loss right now after reading because I have been expecting for a sequel. But thanks for the update anyway.

19. Square Enix has bungled up once again. This is not their fist venture that they left abruptly. Such a shame to treat a hit game like this.