Side quests are little fun optional missions from open world games that have different rewards and objectives. The main aim of these quests is to leave the player with fun things to do and also reward them so that player can enjoy playing it. Here are some valuable tips to make a side quest play worthy:
- Make the involvement of the plot and the characters interesting: Your side quest will have to be about something interesting, so you need to think what will be the side quest plot and its objectives. The side quest needs to be engaging and narrative. The Plot should be a short story with a conflict, as the player will be there as a key to solving it. The Objectives have to be related to the plot, and they can be different according to it. A particular quest is memorable mainly due to its impactful ending.
- Decide how to start the side quest: The beginning of the side quest will determine how the player will be included in that small plot. The most common way to do that is to make the player talk to a Non-Player Character. Also, it can be the opposite by making the NPC go and talk to the player when the player reaches a particular place. There are also some other interesting ways, like making the player find something that makes him inquiring and drives him to examine it.
- A unique body of the side quest: Now it is time for the objectives. One objective can be totally different from another. Your side quest can have any number of targets, like a simple one of donating some part of your money to someone or finding out what the evil guy. In all, you need to make the body of the side quest captivating, so that the player shows his interest till the end.
- Make sure the ending is exciting, and the rewards are satisfying: Last but not least, when the player completes his part of the story, the side quest should have an exciting end and, depending on the side quest and the game, the player should be rewarded. Most of the times, a prominent side quest ending is much better than a reward, since the main purpose of the player is to have fun while finishing the objectives and following the story already. But that doesn’t mean that creative rewards are not welcomed.
- Have valuable quest chains: A quest chain is an array of quests that must be achieved in a certain order. These quests are normally tied to the same plot, double the difficulty as players progress through the chain and give a pleasing reward at the end. Quest chains consist of any number of quests and are made accessible at different times in the story. Quest chains are unusually compelling because they often take you across diverse locations throughout the game, boosting your journey into new areas. At the same time, they also enable you to follow a particular plot-line in stages, and you may feel attached to it.
Were you thinking of creating side quests for your game? Was this post helpful to you? Let us know in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent!
DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHORS (THIRD PARTY) AND OTHER CONTRIBUTORS. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, IT’S STAFF, AND/OR ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS SITE. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR PERMISSION TO REPUBLISH/REPOST/REBLOG/QUOTE ANY ARTICLE PUBLISHED BY US.