5 Best Graphic Design Software. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

In the flourishing video game industry, graphic designers want several things out of their software options. After all, not all the graphic designers are working on the same project. Different plots and situations call for different tools. You may be fresh to the field, and want to get a sense of the best graphic design software, or you may be a graphic design veteran, and you probably have your tried-and-true software options all picked out.

These days there are all kinds of open-source software and free-to-use software available on the internet. Explore our collection of free options so that you can figure out what fits the best.

1. Sumopaint: It is a program that works directly in your web browser. Sumopaint is both an image editor and a painting application working right in your browser. You don’t need to download anything. But you can if you want to. You can create an account with Sumopaint for effortless access to your work. You can simply upload images from your computer into this program to edit them. It has pencils, a standard color picker, brush-stroke options, and light, familiar-feeling interface. And yes, it’s free!
  2. SVG-Edit: Searching for another free browser-based program? How about using a vector image editor? SVG-Edit is a convenient and browser-based program that lets you do exactly what its name suggests, i.e., to edit an SVG file. Of course, you can also instantly generate a new SVG file, too. Since the program is browser-based, so whether you’re whipping up something new or loading an image into the program, you can access it from any modern browser.
  3. Alchemy: Alchemy is a very smart program. It’s a brainstorming software. It doesn’t have an undo button. There’s minimal selecting functionality, and there isn’t much editing functionality too. In a field where it can be hard to let something go as “finished,” losing a lot of that control and only going forward with the creation is refreshing and liberating. It is also free!
  4. Blender: It is an open source 3D modeling software that allows you to experiment without breaking the piggy bank. It’s available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. With Blender, you have the power to do fast rigging, photo-realistic rendering, sculpting with around 20 different brush types, and even help in game creation. Blender has a complete game engine included right in the software. Overall, it is not bad for a totally free, open-source program.
  5. Inkscape: Inkscape can be downloaded for free on Windows, Linux, and Mac. It operates with SVG files as its primary format. It is both free, and open source. It’s a powerful software tool whose functionalities can be compared to that of Adobe Illustrator. It is worth popping over to the Inkscape site to take a glance at what it’s capable of in the right hands.

Have you worked on any of these software? Share your experiences with us in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

36 thoughts on “5 Best Graphic Design Software

Such a timely post! One of the things in my to-do list is to tinker around with Inkscape but I’m being lazy. Thanks for the reminder and will probably take a look at the other software/tools, too.

2. Jackson says:

I tried Sumopaint once. It’s beautiful and very easy to use. Thank you for all the other suggestions, I’ll try them too!

3. Cornell says:

Blender looks fun! Saw my friend use it and I was like, wow! But I’m no graphic designer so I dunno how to use it LOL!

4. Scott Summers says:

I am no designer. I have a hard time following these jargons. Yes guys these are not just woeds but jargons of the field.

5. Alex Summers says:

I have to read this article intently. I am no designer but this could enlighten me.

6. Joy says:

Wow I too is interested regarding graphic design software. I found it very entertaining.

7. Nikki says:

I use to study that but I did not pursue. I wonder if I can learn that today?

8. Dark Vader says:

SVG-edit, im not that familiar. I know all 4 of them except this one. maybe i should try also.

9. Rebi says:

I love Alchemy. very user friendly and it can give you cool abstract artworks.

10. Kitz says:

Thanks for this information. They are good ideas to try and master. This will surely help me learn something new,

11. Miaka Yuuki says:

Odd names for programs real talk. From a moment there I say what am I reading?

12. Mico Robin says:

Help!!!! Seriously I am lost here. I am no designer and these terms and programs are not my element,

13. Joy says:

So those are some of the softwares. Thank you so much for sharing this.

14. Maiko says:

Sumopaint is convenient and user-friendly. Been using that for my graphic designing at a small non-profit organization. I’ve also tried Alchemy though and it’s holy so I plan on learning that next

15. Buddy says:

I like this topic so much. This is very informative and well detailed.

16. Danny Luei says:

I’ve tried using the free Sumopaint, but quite confusing. That’s because I usually always use the default Windows program (MSPaint – standard features) and combined with ACDSee. While the other 4 I’ve never tried it. Thanks any way for sharing this…

17. Lisa Nataliany says:

Well, I never use all of it.., and it seems also not keen to use it. I’ve never edit images before, if ever it was limited to resize it.

18. Marc Paolo says:

I’m not a professional graphic designer but this is a big help, especially we are trying to create a really interesting game using Blender.

19. Chaching says:

I really loved using blender! It is really user-friendly and has a simple interface. Would really recommend this to my friends! Thanks for the review!

20. Savannah says:

I wanna try 3D modeling, but I just can’t find the right software to use (free and user-friendly). Is Blender the answer to this malady? We’ll see after I download it! Thanks for the suggestion!

21. Tilda says:

Mico Robin, honey, you can always Google. Better yet, download them so you can familiarize yourself with these software. You’re never too old to learn.

22. Morgan says:

OMG! Thank you for sharing this! Adobe Photoshop has been the only graphics design software I’ve ever used. I’d like to broaden my horizons on this so this page is really a lot of help! Thanks sooooooo much!

23. Grecy Garcia says:

From all of the lists I think I can use Sumopaint. First, it is free, then second, it seems easy to use. I know I meet Sumopaint in the internet but because I am not technical, I let it gone away. Your description about it makes me know it more and I find it easy to use. I will definitely use this. Thank you.

24. Giovanni says:

I can’t even master Adobe Photoshop. I’m good at MS Paint though. Is it gonna be a steep learning curve if I try Sumopaint?

25. Breathny says:

Among the list, I haven’t tried SVG-edit. Thank you for sharing this. Now I have something new to learn.

26. Kitty Pryde says:

I came across photo shop never mastered it. I would like to try these programs and see if I can use them.

27. Kurt Wagner says:

I have a habit of playing with new things. I could test these out and then take it from there. Sumo paint got my eye. .

28. Lee Ka says:

Thank you for sharing this list. As a web designer, I always wanted to learn some basic graphic design skills so I can make some simple graphics for the websites. I don’t feel like buying Photoshop and all other related products just to try out the graphic design. This list sounds good to me, especially they are free. This saves me the hassle to research for the free or open source graphic design software. Thanks again!

29. Esperanza Khan says:

Thank you for this list. I used Sumopaint before and i loved it

30. Neilsen says:

Among all the graphic design software mentioned above, I am only familiar with Inkscape. I’m gonna look up further reviews on those a little later. They all sound very interesting.

31. Lisa says:

I’ve tried all of them. The easiest to use (especially for beginners) is Sumopaint. Try it guys, it’s fun!

32. Mischka says:

I’ve always wanted to try 3D. Thank you for sharing this article. Now I can fulfill that dream.

33. Gray Fullbuster says:

These things are for designers I know. But I would love to use these list for reference and for free stuff.

34. Erza Scarlet says:

It never hurts to try out new stuff Gray. We are not designers sure but who says that we cannot become even a mock one?

35. Charles says:

Wow thanks for this review! Been looking for a free editor since I don’t want to spend another dime for photoshop, plus these are easier to use!

36. Oswald says:

I’ve seen a nephew of mine use what he told me was a graphic design software. Photoshop, I think he called it… It looks like a very interesting activity that I want to try it out… So, out of curiosity, which of the ones on the list above is the easiest to use for beginners like me?