Game Development and Animations Video Blog

Perks of Making Your Video Game Prototype. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

One of the most crucial yet often ignored parts of video game development is prototyping. A prototype is the best way to test out your concepts, without putting too many efforts. Imagine how useful it is to find out whether your idea would work or not before putting in your time to code it or make art for it. Prototyping is also useful for deciding ways to analyze game mechanics and figuring out various ways how to make it fun. Even if some ideas end in failure at the prototype stage, you are nevertheless many steps closer to apprehending your design while making good use of your time. The following are some essential things to consider while you prototype your new ideas to make sure they actually provide a fun experience outside your mind.

Prototypes Should Never Take Too Much Time

Game development requires more time to make. So, spending too much of your valuable time on a prototype might not be the best idea.Taking more than one or two days in prototyping the mechanics of your game is not beneficial for your game development process. Your ideas may be complicated and may require some extra days to prototype. If you’re planning on spending a whole week prototyping a single mechanic, it might be sensible to break it down into smaller plans.

Prototypes Should Solve Problems And Answer Your Questions

A prototype is of no use if it didn’t answer your question. If you’re making a prototype and have no purpose what knowledge you want to take away from it at the end, it’s time to reevaluate the idea and start over. Walking away from the prototype without having a new result means it was pointless.

Some Ideas Work Properly In Your Head

Prototyping is an excellent way to find out whether a mechanic work or not, in fact, you can check if it fits in with the rest of your game. If you’re still not sure about your idea, whether it will be fun for other players or not, let other people check it out! The prototype need not be super polished or bug-free. It should be playable enough that you can actually get some valuable feedback from people after they check it out. Taking suggestions from others, particularly from people of diverse game tastes, will definitely help you find out if your prototype is a great start to making a complete game.

Are you a game developer? Do you make a proper prototype of your game before building it? Let us know your thoughts on the importance of prototype in making games in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

19 thoughts on “Perks of Making Your Video Game Prototype

1. Miaka Yuuki says:

Rrototypes does not or should not take much time? Yes I agree because the sooner you get those out the sooner you will see how a product will do and rectify it on final release.

2. Mico Robin says:

Prototypes are no different from beta versions. It provides inventors to see how a product will perform as well as how to improve it.

3. Lisa Nataliany says:

I have no idea… I just get this knowledge here. So, what I got here that the prototyping comes in many ways and can help in testing the different aspects of the game, but maybe it really depends on the gaming platform. Thus, a game developer will have a great game.

4. Danny Luei says:

I’m not a game developer… But it seems from your review, it makes sense that a game developer needs to create a prototype to ensure first before making a complete game. Good article to share…

5. Britney says:

Some people can get very excited with their video games that they skip prototyping. It is a costly mistake. Time, most especially. You spend hours perfecting your Flappy Bird only for it to crash because of a tiny error in the code.

6. Kurt says:

Prototyping is very important because you can test all your theories and you allow yourself to make mistakes. But, as what the article said, some things may work in a prototype but not in the final product. It’s one of the wonderful mysteries in this world LOL!

7. Grecy Garcia says:

So that is the meaning of prototype. I am not a gamer and for sure won’t be a game developer in the future. I don’t know any terms to exact, but this article you made, made me understand more about being a passionate game developer.

8. Dark Vader says:

I wonder this is done but this is very vital in game developing.

9. Scott Summers says:

For me who has zero experience and knowledge in game creation. The only thing I can say is you get to play it first before everybody does.

10. Lester says:

Prototyping is a very important process in game development. Actually, it is essential to the success in the development of any technology. It doesn’t even matter if one spends a lot of time making one, because a prototype that has been meticulously made can yield better information for further improvements.

11. Imogen says:

This is a very good discussion. As stated above, game development is a very complex project. Game mechanics alone is a tedious process. It’s very helpful to make a prototype for one game mechanic before coding it. Then you run tests until you perfect that part. And that is just one part. Tough, isn’t it?

12. Cody says:

I can get all caught up in my prototype. Then I will realize it’s not gonna work so I abandon it. Less hassles, saves you the effort.

Agree. Having a prototype in place is a good idea. It should be part of the planning phase and could be the springboard to create the finished product.

14. Lazarus says:

I’m not a game developer buy yet I can accept the idea about prototyping it before make it a complete hopefully successful game. Good luck with your game developing process!

15. Jericho says:

Yeah you have all these brilliant ideas in mind but in reality, it won’t work. That’s where I spend or waste time because I would insist that it should work hahaha. So yes, prototyping for me takes more than two days. A week is enough.

16. Jillian says:

How do you make a game prototype? Is it possible that your prototype can become your actual finished product?

17. Ales says:

I wonder if they can make some twist in the game but not really going to ruin the whole concept.

18. Rebi says:

True. I just dont know how they were able to make one though.

19. Maury Cheskes says:

Yeah, I’d imagine prototypes should ideally be about getting your ideas across and not about all the individual facets in making a video game. It’s nice to have that freedom where you’re not going to be judged too heavily on the whole scope of your work, but just to get a better idea if your game is going to be successful.