The Guide to Improve Your Gaming Performance on Your PC - Part II. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

If you have read the Guide to improve your gaming performance on your PC – Part I, you now have the idea of the first two main steps for making the performance better. But that is not all! These actions only give you a 50% better performance. To get a 100% better performance while playing games on a PC, you would have to perform a few more steps that have been explained in details below:

Tweak The Game Settings

Many games try to automatically select the best graphic settings, but this does not always work properly. Moreover, the old games might not know what to do when they see a new hardware and may even default to the lowest settings. While some games may end up using too high a graphical setting and may even slow down.

You can use the preset settings, which many games offer (The choices are – Low, Medium, High, & Ultra) but you can tweak the individual settings. For instance, the hardware might not be able to play right on the Ultra but may be able to handle the high. In this case, select High, and then generally increase the individual graphics settings. If you tweak many games, you will begin to notice the similar types of settings in all of them. At times, you might come across some games with unusually named options that you would have to Google. If a game cannot run on the highest graphic settings, you would have to reduce it. This would teach you about the settings as well.

Every game has a different setting, and the various game engines perform differently. This makes the settings in some games more demanding. Enabling more textures would use more memory of the graphics card. Selecting the realistic shadows would make the hardware work more. “Draw distance” would increase the distance you can see in the game. This means that more objects would need to be rendered, increasing the work that would be done by the CPU and the graphics hardware.

Some settings are obvious, while some have an odd name like:

• Anti-aliasing: It eliminates the jagged edges to smooth the things out and makes them look more realistic. There are different levels to make it smoother, but this uses a lot of CPU and graphic hardware power. There would also be references like FXAA (fast approximate anti-aliasing) and the MSAA (multi-sample anti-aliasing).
  • Anisotropic, Bilinear, & Trilinear Filtering: These are techniques of improving the perceived texture quality in games.
  • Supersampling: This presents the game at a higher resolution as compared to your screen before computing it down to your screen’s resolution. This diminishes the jagged edges, and is the most demanding graphics option in many games.

You would have to use the monitor’s native resolution since if you use a lower one, the game would appear noticeably blurrier. You can even choose the high settings at a low resolution and a lower setting at a higher, native resolution. Try anyone, to which one looks the best for you. The NVIDIA’s GeForce Experience is a new tool that attempts to determine the ideal settings for your PC’s hardware automatically. It only works with a few games, but it helps where the PC users do not have to tweak the settings themselves.

Upgrade The Hardware

You can only get a limited upgrade by tweaking the software. If you want a much better performance, you would have to upgrade your hardware. The hardware to update are:

• GPU / Graphics Card: If you want to increase the speed and have enough space to increase the graphic settings, you would have to upgrade the Graphics Cards that is also called the Graphics Processing Unit.
  • CPU: While some of the work is done by the GPU, the rest is done by the CPU. If with a game your CPU is running at 100%, you would have to upgrade it.
  • Hard Drive: The speed and the capacity of a hardware is vital, where the storage allows you to install more games and the speed determines the loading time.
  • RAM: This holds the game files once you have loaded them from the drive, and if it doesn’t have enough space, it would be taking time to read it from the hard drive.

Now you know all the methods to make the best out of the gaming performance on a PC! So, if you haven’t upgraded your system yet, you need to do it! Share your queries and ideas in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

27 thoughts on “The Guide to Improve Your Gaming Performance on Your PC – Part II

1. Valerie says:

I don’t really tweak my game settings. I always assume that even with new games, it will automatically detect my not-so-new hardware LOL! Anyway, thanks for this article! Will do more tweaking then!

2. Rubi says:

So here’s my dilemma: would you buy the latest game when your PC is 10 years old (or older, and no upgrades ever)? I mean, should you start upgrading your hardware instead? What do you think guys?

3. miaka Yuuki says:

I always download system Optimizer. I do not know if it works but it is good in cleaning the trash.

4. Mico Robin says:

It also helps to keep applications updated. It is not much but hey it helps.

5. Jay says:

It’s really frustrating when the computer is running slow while playing a game. I have done everything you advised on Part 1 but nada, thanks for posting Part 2.

6. Dark Vader says:

Upgrade everything for faster performance. Yes that’s one tip.

7. Rebi says:

Cleaning your computer inside would also help. And don’t use applications simultaneously while playing. It can ruin the moment.

8. harper says:

in my experience, tweaking the settings to suite my capacity really helps. when you are a beginner this is very advisable than to play full on in the game. start with something easier and when you get used to it move up.

9. lorraine says:

i’m not a gamer myself but my nephews and nieces are. most of my nieces start with mini games or something like that. they play against each other until such time that they feel confident, then they battle it out with other players online.

10. 45678b says:

I appreciate the info but what about costs? Can you maybe discuss what these upgrades might cost.

11. Maury Cheskes says:

Cool, that’s interesting that the graphics vary depending on which game. I feel like texture quality is a key feature.

12. Kristin Mosh says:

Well it seems you have taught me a thing or two about tweaking. I always just assumed that the system would just alter as per the game. Now that I know a thing or two, I may look into upgrading the graphics card to make it run a little smoother. Thanks for the info! Cheers!

13. Maury Cheskes says:

Good article. It’s also important to update the sound quality and do research before buying which program so you’re getting the best affordable price. Also, if your laptop is really old it might be better to just buy a new computer all together.

14. Good advice to keep your software and game-play top-notch and to get rid of all plaintive interferences. Having the optimal graphics card is also good for watching movies and T.V. shows so your solving two problems at once.

15. Charles says:

Upgrading computer hardware is probably the easiest solution to get this done. For those who want to use their older systems until the point that they can no longer be repaired, the software tweaks is the only way. The annoying thing about all this? We consumers are being made to upgrade far too often for entertainment that we can actually find in games that aren’t as demanding. I say, increase the entertainment values of games, not the hardware demand on the existing machines we play them on!

16. Jackson says:

If you’re a gamer who does not know a thing about what’s inside your PC, I suggest you befriend an IT guy (or gal). Like, make him/her your bestfriend! And you can have free technical support forever. LOL!

17. Marx says:

There’s no point in buying the latest games every year if you can’t experience its full potential because your PC can’t handle it. I suggest an incremental hardware upgrade (RAM, graphics card, etc) to extend the life of your PC.

18. Ussop says:

Upgrading everything huh? Well At times upgrades can cause problems. Like I upgraded my display driver and I am now having trouble playing flash and videos. I was force to revert back to the earlier version. If it is not broke why fix it? I ‘d say.

19. Sakura Kinomoto says:

I never thought of that he he. Making the IT guy or girl your friend? That is like hitting two birds in one shot? You will have free / discounted support for your system and if they are single a possible love bug in the process. LOL….

20. Angelo says:

Thanks for the tips. When it comes to my PC, I really need to upgrade it to the latest graphic cards and some hardware modifications since it’s a bit old already and it can’t run most of the latest games. Though I have bought recently a laptop but the graphics of latest games are too high to play in my laptop since it’s not for gaming purposes.

21. Ales says:

Thanks for the tips. This can help gamers to enjoy playing more.

22. Von says:

Time to tweak some settings then. Thx. This guide is very helpful for gamers like me.

23. Antony says:

One more tip if i may add, while not all gamer is comfortable doing it, overclocking your PC can also improve your gaming performance. But as long as u keep your PC cool overclocking can be less risky imo.

24. Chuck says:

Why is everybody so focused on hardware? Check your game settings first! It can save you a lot of trouble (and moolah!).

25. Thorin says:

Aye, Miss Sakura Ajinomoto! A computer technician can keep your computer in tip-top shape But the love angle? Don’t go there, Miss. If you and Mister Technician have a fight, he might put a nasty software in your computer that will automatically turn on your video camera every time you open your computer.

26. Reed Richards says:

I usually do not rsort to technicians if the issue is just minor. Hell I have Ccleaner, MBAM installed just for these cases.

27. Susan Storm says:

Well, I do not use pc for gaming anyway so I think, I do not have to tweak any default settings. I do however have my pc checked by our IT guy in a yearly basis.