The Guide to Improve Your Gaming Performance on Your PC - Part I. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

To begin with it, consoles do not have an up-gradable hardware, it is the software running in the background, or the graphics settings that have to be tweaked for the best performance. Let me walk you through what you must know to get the best advantage out of the most powerful gaming platform and obtain the best FPS you can. This doesn’t matter if you are new or old to PC gaming.

Optimizing Your Software

The software of a console gets out of the way every time you launch a game, holding all the possible system resources only for the game. The PC doesn’t function that way. Even if you are playing a game in the full-screen mode, the computer software is still operating in the background. That is, all the downloads, web pages, or any programs on your desktop or anything in your system tray are still running behind the game.

Moreover, it would be easy to figure out what programs slow down the process of the computer. Things like downloading big files, extracting files from an archive, encoding a video, etc., can put a load on your system that dramatically slows down the things on it. In case, you want to squeeze out all the resources of a particular game; you may want to close all the redundant applications while playing the game.

You can easily determine which programs are using much of the resources with the Task Manager. To open the Task Manager, right-click on the taskbar and select the Task Manager option. Use it then to see what applications are using up most of the resources. In the Task Manager Application, if the CPU and RAM (Physical Memory) usage is high, you would have to identify what applications are using it a lot. This can be done by clicking on the column, which would let you know so that you can close it from there itself.

Moreover, you can easily tell if your hard drive is grinding away by looking at the hard drive light on the computer. In case it is flashing a lot, something is using it heavily. Furthermore, the network bandwidth is also vital. So, if there is any program on the computer using the network heavily, it could take up the hard drive input or output time, which is precious for your gaming as it slows down the game loading time. This also saturates the Internet connection and causes problems in the online games.

Upgrading The Graphics Drivers

The Graphic drivers are a software glue that sits in-between the graphic card and the games running on the computer. Hence, it is crucial to regularly update the NVIDIA or the AMD drivers to help improve the PC gaming experience. This is important mostly for new games since many may even refuse to run if you have graphic drivers that are outdated.

For some of the graphics hardware integrated into the laptops, you may not be able to get the drivers straight from the manufacturer. The laptop manufacturer would be able to provide you with the updated drivers. And moreover, they may not actually release any updates. But you can get the updates from the graphics hardware manufacturer’s website. You would have to select the exact model of the computer’s graphics card, which can be checked in the Device Manager Window of your computer.

A few of the manufacturers may have update-checking utilities that automatically check the new graphics driver version and then alert you about it, just like the NVIDIA Update utility. You can access this from the NVIDIA Control Panel application, only if you have the NVIDIA graphics hardware. If you have an older graphics hardware, keep it in mind that it would not be supported forever. Manufacturers eventually stop optimizing and updating the old drivers after a while and develop new ones with a much better and new hardware. Moreover, how long the hardware is supported is up to the manufacturer.

So, use these tips to enjoy the gaming experience to its fullest. Feel free to share your ideas and queries in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent. More tips would be shared soon to improve the PC gaming experience in part 2 of this post. Hence, stay tuned!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

19 thoughts on “The Guide to Improve Your Gaming Performance on Your PC – Part I

1. Ulysses says:

Thanks for sharing these tips! I will definitely keep them in mind. I think it’s time to update the graphics drivers on my laptop 🙂 🙂 🙂

2. Koko says:

I think a crucial step is also upgrading hardware and defragmenting the PC. It helps especially on low-tier gaming machines.

3. Aster Finnian Cais says:

This article is a great help for me. Thanks so much. I will definitely start updating graphic drivers every now and then and avoid running unnecessary files while playing games.

4. Macky Lee says:

Im gonna Start updating the graphics then , Thanks for sharing these article . I love playing games so this is a big help . Thank you

5. Killa says:

Nice article. You will really enjoy the game if you update your driver for fast performance.

6. Rebi says:

Focus on the game by not opening so much files in your computer, Good article.

7. Luis says:

Sweet. Thanks for these pro tips! My PC is slowing down a bit and I might need to tinker with it to find out. Cheers!

8. Tara says:

Task Manager is really helpful. Sometimes when I see unusual names there that takes up a lot of memory, I look it up on Google. I sometimes catch malware and viruses there.

9. Alex Summers says:

I am usually picky about my PC games. If it takes too much space that is a red flag for me.

10. Scott Summers says:

Well not much of a problem for me because I usually use my PC in jobs only not for downloads or gaming.

11. Neon says:

my computer is so slow these days. i have tried every possible remedy to no effect. maybe it has something to do with the graphics card or something.

12. Tim says:

After reading your post, I now know why my PC sucks (big time) every time I play online games. I guess it’s high time I save up for a hardware upgrade… Thanks for sharing these info!

13. Benny says:

These are awesome tips! I am about to buy a new gaming PC anyway, but the information shared herein are things I will definitely consider to make sure I get a system that won’t disappoint. Thanks for the share!

14. Mico Robin says:

I usually do an annual reprogram of my operating system. Nothing much just my way of keeping my OS fresh even if I do not upgrade to the latest version.

15. miaka Yuuki says:

I always observe the 5 year rule, What I mean is if a computer is over 5 years old then I will buy a new one. I just want to maximize its usefulness before I do.

16. Gurna says:

I defrag every now and then. For Mac, it’s file system check (FSCK). Try it guys!

17. Jackson says:

Thanks for this SJE! I know we are gamers here but I am not so techie like the others. This is really helpful to me.

18. Adriane says:

I don’t know if it’s just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your blog. It looks like some of the written text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This may be a issue with my web browser because I’ve had this happen before. Many thanks