Ru’s Daily Blog 24: The Real Dangers of Marathon Gaming. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

G’Day Gamer Gals and Guys!

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Update on My Internet:

So, the internet guys came on Saturday and I thought for sure internet was going on, and I would be Twitching that night!

Then after about an hour, they came in to tell me that they wouldn’t be able to turn on the digital cable until next week, but that they could have Internet on today!

I said GREAT, Internet is what I needed over everything!

(I hardly ever watch tv, so that could wait as far as I was concerned.)

So, after another hour they came back in to say that they said they couldn’t have Internet on today after all and would have to come back Monday or Tuesday to bring “the correct cables” …

…which I believe is another way of saying: “It’s Saturday and I want to get off early so I can get to drinking!” :p

Pura Vida! 😀

The whole visit was nothing but a tease. 😦

And I was kind of sad, but am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason, so I try to roll with the punches as much as possible.

I’m sorry most of all to keep you all waiting, but I promise that it will definitely be worth it!!

I will be Twitching as much as possible once the internet is on, so stay tuned because I will be releasing My Twitch Streaming Schedule this week!

You can expect me on almost every day…

but I have learned that there will be no 24-hour gaming sessions for me.

Which brings us back to the real topic of my blog.

The Real Dangers of Marathon Gaming.

Last week there was a tragedy in the gaming community and the first ever death on Twitch.

It has been confirmed that Brian Vigneault, who went by the online gamer tag: PoShYbRiD, passed away last Sunday from a possible heart attack or stroke while attempting a 24-hour live gaming marathon on Twitch.

PoShYbRiD was 35 years old according to reports and resided in Virginia beach, VA.

He was almost at the end of a 24-hour gaming session to raise money for charity.

It seems that around the 22-hour mark and only 2 hours shy of his goal, he got up to take a quick smoke break and never returned to his computer.

PoShYbRiD was a frequent streamer on Twitch and exclusively played the game World of Tanks.

He was no stranger to marathon gaming sessions and frequently used them to raise money for the charity, Make a Wish Foundation.

It is speculated that when Brian did not return, the chat commenters alerted the moderator, who then alerted the Virginia Beach Police Department.

They confirmed that he was found dead upon their arrival.

The chat commenters that were present during the live stream and the clips that are available online, confirm that Brian was not looking well during his broadcast.

Many speculate that this was largely due to sleep deprivation, due to his many hours of online gaming over the past months with little sleep.

What truly touches my heart the most and this story is the fact the he was a gamer like you or I, and that he always giving back to those in need while doing what he loved.

His channel alone had raised over 10,000 in just 5 years for the Make A Wish Foundation!

This was something that he was truly dedicated to and surely talented at.

He was a blessing to many and I hope more of us are inspired to give back to others in his memory.

Sadly, Brian’s death is not the only death we know about in the gaming community.

There have been a number of tragic incidents that have happened in the last few years alone.

I plan on touching more on this tomorrow along with life-saving tips that you need to know if you plan on gaming for extended periods of time.

For now, I want to leave off here and dedicate this blog to Brian “PoShYbRiD” Vigneault.

You are an inspiration to the the gaming community and I pray that you are resting in peace.

We are truly saddened that you were taken so soon.

My prayers are with his family, his friends and all of his fans.

“The Most Painful Goodbyes are the Ones That are Never Said and Never Explained.”

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, IT’S STAFF, AND/OR ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Ru (Saljack Enterprises Lets Review Team). Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

20 thoughts on “Ru’s Daily Blog #24: The Real Dangers of Marathon Gaming

1. Jack says:

So sorry to hear that. Rest in peace, Brian. I’m really shocked when I read that he passed away. Marathon gaming shouldn’t be encouraged. It’s not healthy.

2. Chica says:

Why do the good ones go first? This is really, really sad 😦 He was a good man, selfless and well-loved in the gaming community. RIP Brian, you will be always remembered.

3. Margherita says:

Ru, I hope in your future blogs you can share tips on Do’s and Don’t’s of marathon gaming. It is our responsibility to be aware and prevent tragic events like this from happening again. Brian died for a worthy cause, but it is also another wake-up call to the real dangers of marathon gaming.

4. miaka Yuuki says:

My condolences goes out to him and his family. At the very least he passed away doing what he does best. I am sure he is happy wherever he is.

5. Mico Robin says:

News like this makes me sad. I mean this is gaming this is suppose to make people happy not kill them. This is just sad.

6. Tim says:

Yeah too much gaming can hurt sometimes. We should always do something moderately.

7. Lucy says:

Wow Ru I love your hair. They are so healthy.

8. Killa says:

Too much gaming is really dangerous. That’s why I don’t like it, but just moderate.

9. Dark Vader says:

Condolence for the family. This really is a sad news. Gaming shouldn’t be this much.

10. Raphael Fabella says:

God Bless you Brian, helping people who need it while entertaining others, i’m sure he made a lot of people happy. May his family find peace and may he know that he helped so many other people out there find happiness, however small it may have been.

11. Jake says:

Hope that everyone will remember what he did for the people. Gamers should be more aware of the dangers of gaming marathon when they are not in the best condition.

12. Martha says:

Gaming marathon is not recommended if you’re not healthy. A clot can easily form in your blood vessels if you don’t move for long periods of time. And if you do move, this clot can dislodge and will find its way either to your brain or heart. So you can have a heart attack or a stroke.

13. Satish says:

Tragic and sad. My thoughts go to his family. We must take extra precautions if we do gaming marathons.

14. Tony Chopper says:

This is very unfortunate, Though I think it is just an isolated incident. THere are more factors that broke the back of the camel so to speak.

15. Captain Ussop says:

When did this happen? First GTA well it did not kill players but it was connected in teenagers committing crime. My thoughts games should not be blamed for this it is uncalled for.

16. brain2penblog says:

I am 39 years old and have been gaming since before some of you could walk. I have had 100’s of gaming marathons in my life, and never felt ill. I am a believer that when it is your time to go it is just you time. Period. I am not doubting that Brian did add to his already unknown health problem (a bad heart) with the gaming marathon (lack of sleep), but I wouldn’t tell people that game marathons are inherently dangerous. There are plenty of professional careers, such as tactical operations in the US military that can keep soldiers up for DAYS, and they are fit as a whistle. So, game on guys, for Brian.

17. Russell Fry says:

It is sad to here that someone in the gaming community died, but at least they died doing what they loved. Rest in peace Brian. I hope this does not deter people from gaming marathons though…

18. Antony says:

oh thats too bad. Rest in peace Brian. May God receive your soul.

19. Aries says:

I think I may be guilty of indulging in marathon gaming myself. however, I don’t recall doing so on my own. Such had always been a group activity with my buddies. At least we got each other to look out after one another.

I read about this sad news. This should be a lesson to marathon gamers to still sleep and take care of your health.