Steps To Launch A Game On Steam. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

When Steam was released, one could have never imagined the impact it would have in the game industry. It was recently estimated that four out of five games purchased online are downloaded via Steam. Hence, it is no surprise that every game developer’s dream of releasing his game on Steam so that it is available to millions of potential customers. Here are some tips for those who want to make sure their game is a success via Steam.

1. Choose to Start With a Single Platform: Windows and Linux are the widely used and the main platforms supported by Steam. When you try to make your game support two or more platforms, you may end up running into early problems that require regular updates. With us, you may get negative feedbacks that may hurt your team’s morale and game’s reputation. So choosing one platform is recommended. Since Windows is the most widely used operating system, so it is a safe bet. When you focus on a single platform, you will have a much easier time releasing updates, that is required in the first few weeks of your game launch. Once your particular version is stable, then consider moving to the next.
  2. Don’t Rush Major Updates: It is not bad on part of developers to fix the unforeseeable bugs that have occurred in their game after the launch after all you want your players to have the best experience possible and make their purchase worthwhile. But sometimes showing a little bit of patience allow you to make your game much better in the long run. The best way to release major updates is after every three or four weeks. This gives you enough time to find and solve any other problem.
  3. Sticky Threads Are A Must-Have: When you release a particular title on Steam, it has its own “Discussions” section where people can interact, ask questions etc. As a developer, you will feel good when you will see people discussing and sharing tips and secrets, thus making your game a success. The “Discussions” section is also vital for players who have just started playing your game as they can easily get information and fix their problems. A “Guides & FAQ” thread is also necessary so that the people who have any query related to your game can easily find an answer. An updated thread on the common bugs is also beneficial. Taking a look at the discussion section of other titles is also important to see what kind of threads other developers thought significant enough to make sticky.

Have you ever released your game on Steam? How was your experience? What are the pros and cons? Share with us in the comments section or Tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

15 thoughts on “Steps To Launch A Game On Steam

1. Valerie says:

Thanks for the tips SJE! I’m nowhere near into releasing my own game as I’ve just learned how to code but I will bookmark this page. Big fan here!

2. Rubi says:

I have a friend who’s into developing games maybe this will help him! He’s done a few mobile games. Now he’s creating a PC version of his games. So cool!

3. Joy says:

Thank you for these tips. I bet steam players would love to read this article.

4. Kirk Ydnar says:

It takes a lot of time to download games from Steam. But it’s worth the wait.

5. Rebi says:

Very helpful tips to those who have just started developing their games.

6. Killa says:

Yes, threads are very helpful. You can share what you’ve just discovered and they can even share theirs as well.

7. Steven says:

I’ve read a lot about Steam on this site but I haven’t used this platform yet. Maybe I will try it sometime and see how it works.

8. Txabi says:

I’ll bookmark this page and read this again when I’m about to launch my own game! LOL! Watch for it guys! Gracias!

9. Kath says:

I think the most important thing to remember is to never rush things. Yes you’re all excited cuz you’re gonna launch your own game, all these hype and adrenaline will kick in. But you have to be level-headed and realistic. For all you know, people might not like your game at all. And you might just have a major meltdown if you don’t keep it real.

10. Rex says:

Pretty curious about what this is. Thanks for the info. I am excited to develop my own game soon. The only thing that challenges me is when I encounter some problems upon using it. Glad it has a discussion board to get things going.

11. Kyo Kusagi says:

My brother uses Steam and G arena for his games. I do not see a clear cut difference in both though.

12. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

I am familiar with this platform kind of. However, I have yet to use it for my games.

13. Kitz says:

Starting it simple, on a single platform, would always minimize possible problems. It seems to be easier said than done when launching games. Patience is really needed. Thanks for sharing this information.

14. tazmintravel says:

This is a great post, thank you for these tips on how to build your own game with stream. This is a great post for anyone who wants to create a game. I liked what you said about don’t rush major updates and to be patient in building your game.

I also liked your comments on the “Discussions” section and FAQ’s for anyone who is playing your game. As this will help any new players. Great tips

15. tazmintravel says: