Ru’s Daily Blog 19: Have You Ever Experienced... GAMER DISCRIMINATION? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

G’day Gamer Gals & Guys!

Today’s blog comes to you from a place of frustration. 😦

I am sick and tired of the rap that we gamers get in mainstream society!

Have you ever noticed how non-gamers thumb down their noses at gamers?

Have you heard the preconceived notions of not only the older generation but every person that has never picked up a game controller?

Has anyone in your life ever told you that you wouldn’t amount to anything if you played video games?

You probably have.

And you probably have on a personal level.

And that is why I am frustrated today.

Because it happened to me… AGAIN… today!

I was speaking to someone this morning and they asked me what I do for a living.

Now usually, when I tell people that I am a pro variety gamer, they think it’s pretty darn cool!

Or, they just didn’t know that was a possible job to have!

But every once in a while, you come across those select few judgmental people that “mean well”

– but think that their advice is really going to save you in your obviously wayward life!

And that just so happens to exactly describe the person I met today.

When I told them I played video games for a living..their response was that I need to…

“Be Careful!”

Then they went on to lecture me on how “video gamers are creeps and losers in society!”

That “when I stream live I am putting myself in danger of creepers finding me and showing up at my house.”

{And I looked at them, like really?! Most of the people I play with are too busy trying to conquer their games to think about that!}

Then they went on to say that “I had so much promise…

Why am I wasting it staying inside playing video games?!”

And again, I informed them that they were incorrect in their thinking.

I let them into the fact that I run over 2 miles every day.

That I walked and biked like everyone else, and loved being outside.

Even with these newfound facts, it was almost like I hadn’t said anything at all.

It didn’t change their mind, and they just kept on with their ramblings.

So I thought about GTAV until they finished talking and afterward politely excused myself.

Now, this isn’t the first time I have dealt with gamer discrimination!

I heard it first from those closest to me, family mostly.

But I guess hearing it from someone who doesn’t even know me aggravated me more than I realized it would.

Which isn’t very smart really… Because what others think of me is none of my business!

And most people only bother with you long enough to give you their unsolicited opinion, and then they are right back caring only about themselves.

So don’t take it personally if you are a gamer and people don’t approve.

Whether this is your hobby, profession or dream job..gaming is a very personal experience.

And one that is also special enough to be shared with someone that appreciates both you AND the joyful experience of gaming.

So, what would you say to someone who came out you sideways because of your gaming?

Let’s share some good comeback responses with each other so we can all be prepared for the next ‘Judgmental Jane or Johnny!

In the words of the theme song from Growing Pains:

“As Long As We Got Each Other..We Have the World Spinning Right in Our Hands Baby!” 🙂

See you tomorrow for more gaming fun!

“Ignore the Critics. Only Mediocrity is Safe From Ridicule. Dare to be Different.”  ~ Dita Von Teese

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, IT’S STAFF, AND/OR ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Ru (Saljack Enterprises Lets Review Team). Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

25 thoughts on “Ru’s Daily Blog #19: Have You Ever Experienced… GAMER DISCRIMINATION?

1. Georgina says:

As a transwoman, discrimination comes from fellow gamers most of the time. But it’s even worse from non-gamers who think that transwomen like me are only good at fashion or beauty or chasing men. But you know, I just dismiss them. Fabulously.

1. kallistoru says:

That’s right Girrrrrl! You are doing the right thing! Ignorant people have ignorant opinions! keep doing you FABULOUSLY hunty! ❤

2. Jose says:

Yep I’ve had some of my friends and relatives who are reminding me “nicely” that too much time spent playing video games is bad. Another well-meaning friend told me that I am an unproductive member of society and that I should go out more often and join community activities. Oh well, I enlighten them as much as I can but sometimes I get tired explaining to people.

1. kallistoru says:

I know what you mean! We just have to keep on keeping on! Their opinions are just that! Opinions and not facts! Thank you for reading! 🙂

3. George says:

I think being a gamer is cool. I think you have the best job in there.

YUP, I think you are right!!!! 🙂

4. Ken says:

This is my first time reading a lady that is so addicted on games. Hands off to you.

Thank you Ken! 🙂

5. Killa says:

i don’t know why our closest loved ones are even the ones who’s really gonna put us down first.

They mean well I am sure, Killa! ❤

6. Rebi says:

I’m not really a gamer, I just play games but people also kind of say mean things about me of not being good in games and I’m not fit for it. But for me, I’m just having fun and don’t care if I’m good or not. Don’t worry Ru, you’re a cool gamer no matter what they say.

Thank you for reading Rebi! So are you 🙂

7. Gene says:

I’m sure they meant well but they have a point though. There are creeps who happen to be gamers so you have to be very careful. However, there are creeps everywhere and most of them are not even gamers.

That right!!

8. Brody says:

There are people who think we are outcasts of society just like tattooed people, goth lovers, etc. I am glad that gaming is beginning to gain prominence. In this digital age, gaming should be at the forefront and we as gamers should be proud to be part of it.

YES BRODY!!!

9. Archie says:

Discrimination is pure BS. People should stop looking at others based on their preference, religion, race, gender, etc. We’re all humans. My best bud David — childhood friend/neighbor — came out last year and she’s now identifying as a woman. I didn’t for one second think that she’s any different after that. Everybody in our community has been very supportive. So right now it feels like I have a best friend and a girl friend at the same time! Wait, if I fall in love with her, what will that make me?

1. kallistoru says:

You have a great friend and you are one too! And it seems like maybe there are a few feelings sprouting already?… 😉

10. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

I do not know if being looked down for something count as discrimination but it happens. I for one as a fan of these things had been called a nerd or a geek.

1. kallistoru says:

The best ones are! keep your head up!!

11. Kyo Kusagi says:

If it is just limited to name calling then it is not a problem just brush it off. The real problem begins if it goes into cyberspace or physical, Those are pretty serious.

Thank you for reading! 🙂

Well… I don’t think these people mean to be downers. Chances are they sincerely care about you and just think that gaming could be addictive (which is true in some cases). It’s kinda like I wouldn’t want people to gamble and go to casinos although I assume it could also be very profitable. Anyway, as long as you know your limits when it comes to gaming, then it shouldn’t be a problem. I say do whatever you really want to do.

Thank you for reading! 🙂

13. I don’t like telling people I game because people associate it with being lazy. Which sucks. Because I love gaming.