Graphic Designers v/s Video Game Designers. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

It may not seem simple, but game design and graphic design are basically linked. Graphic designers are vital part of the game design process, and often check the work of game designers. However, there are a few differences between the two, and anyone who is looking for work in the games industry should understand them.

What does a graphic designer do?

Graphic design is totally into creating the ‘visual brand’ of a product or company. This includes advertising campaigns, logos, and other things which demand high visual impact and influence the branding of the product or company. Regarding video games, this often relates to marketing and advertising, but they can also check the design of in-game assets such as how still images are used or how text is displayed.

What does a game designer do?

Many different job titles come under the umbrella of a game designer. From level design to concept design and characters to environment. Many game designers do more than one thing. In small studios, it is common for a game designer to learn all of them! Game designers have to check the look and feel of a game. So it is beneficial for them to consult graphic designers for the best way to go about this.

What are the similarities?

The similarities between the both the roles is the word ‘design’ as both of the job titles are involved in the design of something, be it an outlook of an advertising campaign or be it in-game levels. Both have to take important design decisions for their field and have to work on the title of a game to make it the best. They can work together by discussing with the each other, on how to make a game unique and how to present that game in the best way to the outside world.

What are the differences?

While a graphic designer might only be connected loosely in the deployment and development of a game, a game designer has to deal with the game looks and plays. A graphic designer may be asked for things like how to display dialogue trees or user interface design, but a game designer will be much more engaged in the presentation of the game. The real difference comes down to the scope of involvement.

What’s Your Preference?

If you are preparing to get into the video games industry, it is important to consider your skill-set and know exactly what you want to do in the game industry.

If you feel that your skills are much more visual, then perhaps you should focus to become a graphic designer with a specialization in video games.

If you want to be associated with all the decisions that go into the making a video game, then you should probably focus your attentions on becoming a video game designer.

Let us know your preferences in the comments section!

Cami_Signature

21 thoughts on “Graphic Designers v/s Video Game Designers

1. Scott Summers says:

Both aspects are important in bringing a game to life. No side is more important than the other. In reality. both sides should work together.

2. Alex Summers says:

P do not see any issue with these two. My thoughts however, to me they both need each other or else there will be no game.

3. Valerie says:

Thank you for this article! I’ve always thought of graphic designers to have more marketing function — that is, they are concerned with the look and feel of the game and how to sell them to a particular demographic. Video game designers are just concerned with the game itself.

4. Rubi says:

I have always been confused with these two. I sometimes interchange them! Now I know their similarities and differences. Thank you SJE!

5. Remy says:

Cool I think both of them works together. I think video game designers are harder.

6. Myles says:

If I can choose I’ll probably be a graphic designer than a video game designer. I’m more on visuals rather than creating something.

7. Rebi says:

This is true. I’m a graphic designer but I think being a game designer has to be passionate with games as well, know the field and i think is more challenging to do.

8. Duane says:

Oh thanks for the clarification. I thought they were one and the same. I was wrong.

9. I think it’s good that they split up the work between a graphic designer and a video game designer. I think both positions are equally instrumental in the final outcome of a video game. I know the salaries are pretty equal so it depends on which skill set you’re more geared towards.

10. Francheska says:

It’s interesting how both graphic and video game designs are linked. However, there is still a difference between the two and since I am more familiar with graphic design, it is good to know its similarity with the video game design. I reckon video game design is harder than graphic design. Nevertheless, one can’t live without the other.

11. Angelo says:

I thought before that video game designer and graphic designer is just one. Later did I found when I read your article that they have different roles in designing a game. But I think that both two are important and should work together hand in hand in order to achieve both their objectives.

12. Rain Santos-Ocampo says:

If I could do my life over again, I’d be a graphic designer. It’s not too late for me though, I can always brush up on the basics I have at the moment.

13. Mark says:

Wow thanks for making this article. It help me learn more on which course to take because I was considering both since they are linked together but while game designer is only specified to the game, as a graphic designer you are doing much more since it is more spread out.

14. Doreen says:

Yep in small/indie companies the responsibilities overlap. I wouldn’t make a fuss of these things yet. If design is your passion, be good at it. All other responsibilities will follow when you’re already in a company.

15. Leila says:

Wow I am enlightened! I love gaming, but the business side of this industry, I am not very familiar with. Thank you SJE for articles like this one!

16. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

Same here these two have almost similar functions that they lump together. Thanks for this SE team.

17. Kyo Kusagi says:

That assumption is not entirely wrong though. It all just boils down to specialization. I truly believe that.

18. Ice says:

I like them work. They works well together.

19. Buddy says:

I prefer game designer because I like designing games. What about you guys?

I’d prefer to be a game designer because I love creating stories and characters. I understand there are some technical stuff involved but it only adds up to the challenge.

21. Mich says:

There’s definitely a thin line between the two though I agree that they have their own scopes of environment. Honestly, wish I can do both amazing work at the same time!