Motivational Game Design Quotes. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

Whether you are a veteran with plenty of years already under your belt or you’re new to game development, you always need some inspiration. What’s better than the golden quotes from the experienced game designers. Here are the three most influential quotes that every aspiring game designer should check out at least once in their career. They will definitely bring inspiration or wisdom that you’ve been searching for while struggling with your latest design.

1. Be A Designer That Stands Up For Creativity: Gaming is an entertainment industry, so game designers need to have a creative mind and should also be able to stand up with their ideas in front of the marketing people. There are not many people who fit this description perfectly. If there’s one designer that can offer a treasure of game design wisdom, it is the creator of the most iconic and successful game series in the industry. Video games would not have been the same if the creators of many successful games had not been hired and they had not so easily given up on their ideas. The game designers need to have more control over their own projects and have to see a wave of creativity in the market.
  2. Be A Designer That Finds Innovative Solutions: 90% of the work that is considered “impossible” is, in fact, POSSIBLE. And the other 10% will become possible with the help of time & technology. It is crucial for game developers to think outside the box when defied with a problem. Have you ever played a game that feels derivative and promises to be amazing, but in the end doesn’t live up to your expectations. It is probably the result of someone choosing the easy way when facing a tough design decision. A good game designer needs to learn how to look at a problem from different aspects so they can navigate around to find a new and uncommon
  3. Be A Designer That Makes Players Think: A game designer needs the proper knowledge when it comes to making popular and simulating games. As a designer, your final goal is to create an experience that entertains the player. By continually giving the meaningful choices to players, you keep them involved and feeling like they’re altering the virtual world they’re currently venturing in. If you end up making a boring game, perhaps there isn’t a constant set of interesting choices being offered to keep them hooked.

Are there any other quotes that motivate you? Let us know in the comments section or tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

25 thoughts on “Motivational Game Design Quotes

1. Jai Sabharwal says:

Creativity in designing is an essential aspect. And, it is not just limited to gaming. By the looks of the current generation of games, developers ought to have high level of creativity to stand out among their competitors.

2. Rain Santos-Ocampo says:

Just one of my fave creative quotes I’d like to share that might inspire others too.

“Creativity is a drug I cannot live without.” – Cecil B. DeMille

3. Liam says:

My favorite game design quote is from the legend, Shigeru Miyamoto. He said, “The obvious objective of video games is to entertain people by surprising them with new experiences.” ‘Nuff said.

4. Katy Esmero says:

What seems to be impossible can be a start of so many possibilities. Guess this is what thinking outside the box can do for many aspiring game designers out there.

5. Chinkee Solano says:

Pair creativity with innovative solutions and you get a killer game design. What comes next would be standing up for your ideas and getting others to see it the same way you do.

6. Ned says:

Thanks for posting these game design quotes. I really need some motivation in my life right now. I’m working on a dream project but it’s not going well at the moment.

7. Rebi says:

“Be A Designer That Finds Innovative Solutions” I like this quote because even when technology changes as well as the gamers’ taste, a good market of gaming should have innovative ways of changing pace each time.

8. Dark Vader says:

Creativity should always back up no matter what in gaming. They should know what gamers like to play and what kind all the time.

9. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

This is where a team should come in. I am no designer but all I can say is this!!! Creativity is essential.

10. Kyo Kusagi says:

These auotes are applicable not just in game design but in life. Take creativity for example each field needs it.

11. Tatsukachi says:

Really you do reap better rewards when you choose not to bypass difficult problems and look for an easy way out. It’s applicable to any situation in life, but still, I can’t imagine what my favorite games would have become if the developers had decided not to put in as much effort as they did.

12. lechrisse says:

Creativity, determination and a can-do attitude. Present day opportunities are unlimited unlike those days where we are type-cast into fixed categories of skills and work. It’s great that our young can soar to any height of their choice as the frontier is limitless!

13. Antony says:

For some less than satisfied employee in game designing their quote is “Be a designer to leave some Easter eggs inside the game which purpose is to bash & critique my boss” lol. Or maybe for Dark Soul designer their quote is “Be a designer to frustrate the player with unforgiving difficulty.” :p

14. Verucca says:

Originality. I think that is a very important aspect in game design. Make your own game stand out. Finding ways to be different or to do things differently is challenging. And that makes game designing a very fun and rewarding job!

15. Rafael says:

My idol is Hayao Miyazaki and I wanna be a good animator like him. I copy his style because I am still learning but I know in time I will develop my own trademark animation, which I hope to transcend to game design. He is such an inspiration!

I have a favorite quote from Steve Jobs which is also related to creativity:
    “Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… The ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… They push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Basically it is saying not to be afraid of having out of the box ideas because these ideas could change the world. 🙂

17. Maury Cheskes says:

Yeah, I definitely think a video game designer should try and push the envelope. Giving gamers a new experience and getting good recognition for it, must be a gratifying experience. Cool article!

18. Killa says:

Designing is really my thing! creativity works a lot in every thing i believe.

19. Robin James says:

I think being a game designer is hard. I salute those that create games.

20. Darwin says:

The article is short but very informative. Thank you for posting this.

21. Miaka Yuuki says:

Well Doing Easter Eggs is not a bad thing. Take for example a movie, a trailer cannot spoil everything. O otherwise it will flop.

22. MIco Robin says:

In terms of game designing Creativity is a fundamental aspect. However these quotes can also be applied in real life.

23. Shaznay says:

Creativity is very, very essential in any industry that involves design. How do you nurture creativity? A company needs to have an open working environment. One that does not stifle growth and creativity to flourish!

24. Mutya says:

“Be a designer that makes players think.” I think that, games that have the same mechanics are boring. If you are a good designer, you should challenge the players by making them decide their path.

25. Brie says:

Couldn’t agree more. Everyone needs a dash of inspiration/motivation. I’m not a game designer but these quotes have really motivated me to strive harder in life…