How to Build an Effective Game Design Portfolio? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media. Entertainment.

In our previous blog “Need to Build a Great Game Design Portfolio“, we told you about the requirement of building a good portfolio. So have you decided to start with your portfolio? Or still confused about the steps you should follow to make your portfolio presentable. Don’t Worry! We have a blog to explain you the tools and steps required to make your game design portfolio.

Step 1 – How You’ll Make It

There are various great portfolio sites out there that don’t expect any serious web design or programming skills. Google Sites is also a great choice if you want something that has a decent level of flexibility and is free. Of course, if you have the coding knowledge or web development skills, you’ll face no problem in building the right portfolio for you.

Step 2 – Add Your Best Work

Your game design portfolio should focus on your best work. If you have recently graduated or are new to the game industry, then this might not be a problem because you may not have a lot to choose from. If you have been involved in a lot of game projects, then make sure to include whatever you’re most confident about. It can be anything from a visual content showing off a game to a few pages of a game design document that you wrote.

Step 3 – Don’t Forget Important Info

Apart from images and videos, it is important for you to include contact information such as phone number, email, and Skype name. Your resume, whether it’s a download or a link to another page, should also be easily available and seen. If you have appropriate links to the pages like a Linkedin or blog, definitely add its link as well.

Step 4 – Make It Look Good

Once you’ve added all the necessary content you feel recruiters will want to see, remember to make it look presentable. Instead of clutter and multiple pages, try to have only a few pages that are systematically and neatly organized and easy on the eyes. The messy pages may give a poor impression.

Step 5 – Start Sharing It

Once you have completed your game design portfolio and it is ready, feel free to post it on community forums or job boards where game developers visit. Add a link to your portfolio of your Linkedin and online resume as well, and don’t forget to provide a link somewhere in your cover letter when applying for a job.

You can use various websites to make a wonderful portfolio for free. Have a look at some of the best websites for making portfolio:

• Coroflot: Coroflot is one of the significant creative portfolio sites. Also, there’s a job board where you can add your portfolio to make it more probable for the recruiters to see it.
  • Carbonmade: It is a pretty straightforward portfolio site that is very user-friendly, even if it’s your first time to use any website for creating a portfolio. More than 50,000 people have used Carbonmade to build their online portfolios.
  • Behance Network: Behance has a comprehensive list of tools that enable you to make just the appropriate portfolio for you. They even offer social network features like collections, activity feeds, groups, and more.

If you want to construct your portfolio in a more professional manner, consider buying a domain for it, so you have a URL that’s simpler to link and incorporates your name.

Do you have any experience in making game design portfolio? Share it with us in the comments section or tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

18 thoughts on “How to Build an Effective Game Design Portfolio?

1. Stevie says:

Thanks for the awesome advice. I’m in my final year in uni so I’m already thinking about building my own portfolio

2. Kyo Kusagi says:

I do not know what a game portfolio is. Thanks to this I am now are of these new jobs.

3. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

I can understand the five steps but the remaining terms are new to me!!! Well may as well Google it.

4. Killa says:

I honestly dont have an idea how the games would be put into portfolios. Probably a walkthrough or something.

5. Rebi says:

In the world of technology and any digital aspects, portfolios are really important.

6. Rain Santos-Ocampo says:

Yeah I agree. Get on a portfolio sharing/networking site and get noticed.

Don’t be afraid to share your work. You’ll get discovered there! I swear by it.

7. Thanks for posting a detailed guide on this. This is really helpful.

8. Katy Esmero says:

I agree, guides like this will encourage those who otherwise will just keep their work to themselves. Are there criteria to what makes a game design portfolio attractive to prospective recruiters?

9. Miaka Yuuki says:

This article is on point!!! I could use these tips when I build my resume.

10. Machwind2012 says:

It also helps if you post your work to a wiser audience. Get the word out!!! But of Course you must be able to back it up!!!

11. Jack Guzman says:

Thank you for the advice. Will you also write about how to effectively use Coroflot? Maybe add some layout tips that will make recruiters notice my work?

1. Thank you for the feedback Jack. We will do our best to address this in a future posting.

12. Nate Kertick says:

Your tips are easy to follow! Do I limit the contents of my portfolio to what I think are my best work or do I just include everything?

13. Shaun says:

Step 2 is so true! I only showcase my best work in my portfolio because I need to make a great impression. If I put in all of my works, I might not make a good impression at all.

14. Reed Richards says:

If I may add a good character is a must. It is not here on the list but it matters.

15. Machwind2012 says:

While I am a fan of amazing resumes, I admit it has edge however, sometimes luck plays a role. THere is a saying here sometimes something is just destined to be yours.

16. Dark Vader says:

Portfolios are very important to us. I’m not a gamer though but I’m into technology and development.

17. Cochin says:

Very good website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any discussion boards
    that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
    I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get comments
    from other experienced individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Many thanks!