Have ever played a video game and had a hard time trying to figure out where to go next because the words are jumbled or don’t make sense? This requires video game translation.
The industry has changed rapidly over the years. Just as video games have become more artistic, realistic worlds with intricate and rich storylines, the world of video game translation has developed and gone global.
History of Video Game Translation
In the previous years, most of the video game text was run through complete translation scripts, but still, it required more clarity.
With this in mind came the beginning of the video game translator.
This bilingual and skilled individual can change the text of a video game that is developed in another language and produces a professionally translated version in the language required.
Usually, when game development companies are done with their market research and are ready to compile the list of countries where they envision high sales numbers, they will often look for a video game translator. Earlier, this work was outsourced, and the results were poor and sometimes it needed to be done again at great cost to the developer.
Now, various professionals are making a name in the translation world.
Identifying the Customer Base
Translation isn’t always about modifying text word for another word into the new language. The video game translator also requires having a working knowledge of various cultural norms and other important factors like local customs and slang to make correct translations. Being bilingual for this position also needs a familiarity with the culture of the language so that cultural sensitivities, traditions, and other distinctions can be respected.
How to Become a Video Game Translator
- To work as a professional video game translators, you need to have a solid and working knowledge of both the languages you are translating from and being highly successful. Breaking into the business can be difficult as many translators have worked hard to build up clients and their resumes.
- To charge the best rates for video game translation, you should present your credentials and examples of any other jobs you have completed to increase your chances. Many companies find the translator who is fluent in the language the game is being translated into, and some companies may demand a native speaker of the language.
- The best way to show your credentials to a reputed translation company is by carrying a portfolio of your previous work along with your resume.
- Defining the quality of your previous work can show off your abilities and add an air of confidence that will help you in getting hired.
- If you are new in this field, you can translate the games you and your friends play to give quality examples of your abilities.
Are you thinking of choosing Video Game Translator as your career? Tell us whether this article was helpful for you or not in the comments section or tweet us @essjay_ent!
DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHORS (THIRD PARTY) AND OTHER CONTRIBUTORS. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, IT’S STAFF, AND/OR ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS SITE. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR PERMISSION TO REPUBLISH/REPOST/REBLOG/QUOTE ANY ARTICLE PUBLISHED BY US.