Analyze the Time You Spent Playing Video Games. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

“Just one more game!” The gamers at one point or another have said this. You sit down to play a bit of the game after dinner, and the next thing you know is the sun’s coming up. The time flies when gaming. You may feel like “a few hours here and there, ” but the truth is you spend more than the required time. Take help of the following tools that will show you those numbers as plain as day.

1. Steam: Steam is incredibly convenient, and it has plenty of awesome features that are found nowhere else. But one of the genuine reasons to use Steam is it tracks your time spent per game. Steam doesn’t limit your play time, but you can use the time-track data to consider which games are covering up most of your time. It may even lead you to the possibility that you are a video game addict.
  2. Xfire: Xfire was once the king for tracking of play times, facilitating game communications and managing game libraries. But in the recent time, most of its functions have been replaced with reliable alternatives, leaving Xfire to be a shell of its previous glory. However, for recording play time, it is still somewhat useful. There’s a feature called “Activity Report” that is a consolidated stream of updates that shows you how much time you are consuming on various games. If you go into your Xfire profile, you can view the time spent on all the games in the library. Time tracked is split between “Hours Total” and “Hours This Week”. It is available on Windows only.
  3. Raptr: Raptr has turned out to be one of the healthier choices amongst gaming social networks. It is very simple to use. Run the Raptr desktop app while you are playing your games and it will automatically update your Raptr social profile, covering the time you spend playing. It even taps into other gaming networks such as PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, and Steam and pulls data from there. Raptr is much better when compared to Xfire as far as social networking and time tracking is concerned.
  4. Gameplay Time Tracker: Don’t want to invest in a gaming platform such as Steam and neither do you want to join a social network or community like Xfire or Raptr? The best thing is to consider Gameplay Time Tracker. Most people are not aware of it, but its features are quite impressive. The program sits in the background and automatically recognizes whatever games you’re playing. It doesn’t matter if you have installed a game through a digital platform like Steam or it is a standalone game. The tracker will catch all of them. It also detects browser-based games with support for Chrome, IE, Firefox, and Opera.

Have you used any of these trackers or is there any another application that performs better and wasn’t mentioned above? Let us know in the comments or tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

27 thoughts on “Analyze the Time You Spent Playing Video Games

1. It is unfortunate. The new trends in game design, using really bait and hook style designs to keep players playing, does not help this sort of scenario. I can not blame designers for working this type of stuff into their designs; they have lives to pay for… However, it is a massively conflicting problem when part of this industry is TRYING to make players never put their game down…

Do ya’ll have any comments on potentially balancing this out?

1. Unfortunately I don’t have suggestions for game designers, unless they go back to having clear “mission accomplished” screens after finishing a side-quest or plot mission.

In the huge open-world games of today, you really need to find a system that works for you (like using a timer and having massive amounts of self-control), otherwise you’ll accidentally play a 60 hour game in one sitting because the strings of the plot are tied together so temptingly…

2. Rebi says:

Not a gamer here but I do love games maybe I wasnt a gamer because I just dont make time. But every time I play a game it really happens that I dont track my time so this is very important.

3. light Yagami says:

I do not know why one would need time trackers to start with. All it takes is time management and knowing priorities.

1. It is more of a retrospection sort of thing. Keeping accurate track of the time will make one face how much time has been put into the game after the fact (and technically during it as well). It ends up being much easier to rationalize and act out the irresponsible habit if there is nothing to hold one accountable…

Ideally we could all adhere to responsible time management and priorities… This blog post is focusing on those who can’t/don’t… These tools will probably be really useful for them.

4. dazzler says:

Well getting so into games happens alot so I understand the need for these. However to me it is not that necessary. I could be wrong though I am no gamer that is why.

5. Rain Santos-Ocampo says:

I use Steam and am a complete fan of it. So glad that it was mentioned first on this list.

I admit, I’m always telling myself one last game. Most of the time, my game starts to suck because I’m so tired. I always play better the next day after a good sleep.

Also, time tracking helps you see how good you are depending on what game you play.

6. Evan says:

I haven’t used any of the applications mentioned above but I play games all the time. It’s all comes down knowing your limits and when to say enough is enough. All you need is a good mindset and a working watch to keep track of your video game playing time.

7. Celine says:

Steam is very very convenient. i haven’t thought about using another one. But the suggestions here are good too.

8. Marcus says:

I’ve only used my watch to keep track of time! LOL! So I won’t be late for school! I’ll try that Gameplay Time Tracker.

I haven’t used any gaming trackers. It kind of made me feel sad that such applications exist though. It only shows that people get addicted to games and has to be nudged to stop.

10. Killa says:

There’s lot of gamers I think that don’t have time because they like to enjoy their time while playing.

11. Veronika says:

This is very handy! It lets you manage your time so you don’t spend too much time playing video games. Personally I haven’t used any of these because I’ve already trained myself to know when to stop hehehe…but for others, especially the young ones, this is very important.

12. Zoltan says:

I agree with Benjamin Apprill’s dilemma. With new games, everything gets better. And all the more harder to stop playing! These time trackers will only provide you with data, and not make you want to stop playing. So it’s down to parents or any supervising adult to let their children know about the limits. If you’re an adult, well you should know what to do!

13. rn says:

oh so there are these kinds of game time trackers… what i do usually is just put an alarm on my phone for 3 hrs. that’s my limit in playing games per day and it never fails to amaze me how i am unconscious about it and yet when the alarm goes off, i am able to finish my game just on time.

14. stephen says:

i do have that problem. i usually play games after dinner and wish to finish just before 11pm… but every time i realize that i have to stop, the clock has already read 12mn. good thing there are game trackers available.

15. Antony says:

In my time spent on gaming, I eventually find myself to be able to enjoy my game even outside of me playing the actual game. For RPGs and cRPGs and similar type of games which you can build your character in various ways, I can spent hours & hours searching info and character builds on gaming forums, tweaking with the builds to try to beat the game in multiple different ways. In my younger days I tend to be impatient and rush to see how fast i can finish my games, but as i got older, i got more relaxed while playing, I play my games slower but enjoy every second of it and the time I spent analyzing the games and all its build/lores. Why rush a good thing when you can enjoy it slowly 🙂

16. Pelican_Jojo says:

I have only tried Raptr. I was surprised at how much time I spend gaming. But its not all wasted. It sort of counts as time hanging out with my friends, and that’s important, too.

17. Kyo Kusagi says:

I had Raptr before but I am confused here. What TIME are we referring to? Optimizing a game? or just the time we play games since Raptr is in play here?

18. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

Someone in the comments suggested a simple yet interesting idea. I did not thought of this but absolutely!!! I mean why spend money on trackers and stuff if you can just put an alarm clock beside you? or better yet let your phone do it. I mean just set the alarm and you are good to go.

19. Rina says:

Who’s addicted to video games? Hands up please! It’s about moderation guys. I think it’s more prevalent among school-aged children. These time trackers can help you manage your time. But it’s still your call.

20. Jamie says:

Thank you for this article! I didn’t know there’s these things available for us. I use Steam occasionally, but I more into my downloaded games.

21. Miaka Yuuki says:

Well I am not a hardcore gamer so this is no issue for me. I go online as part of my work and I play Fb games from time to time. It is just because I need to kill time during my breaks .

22. MIco Robin says:

The only people who need time trackers are hardcore gamers. In terms of mobile games I think they are safe, unless some games like Pokemon GO.

23. Matthew says:

This is not the answer to curb your gaming addiction LOL! They only track time and not automatically stop at a set time. If you want to manage your gaming addiction then set a very loud alarm clock beside your PC! Hahahah!

24. Ricci says:

Gameplay Time Tracker is the best on this list. No hassle. I will download it so I know which games I waste more time hehehe…