Ru’s Daily Blog 5: How Early is Too Early To Game? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Hi, friends!

You may have noticed that video games and gaming have grown exponentially in the last 20 years alone.

From the Mario Bros. games to current Virtual Reality titles; the options available for your entertainment are incredibly vast.

Now, If you are reading this blog, you probably enjoy and are old enough to play video games.

But really…how old is “old enough” to game?

Now depending on who you are asking, you are bound to get a lot of different answers.

Ask a gamer mom – and she might tell you that she has been gaming with her kids even before they could walk.

Ask an old-school grandma – and she might say that gaming is for kids anyway, and not adults!

Ask a politician – and he might say that video games rot children’s minds and should be banned at all costs.

(Wait a minute…why are we asking a politician anyway?!!)

Let’s compare for ourselves a few of the pros and cons of gaming for children.

PROS

1.) problem-solving skills

2.) boosts creativity

3.) friends with similar interests

4.) learn friendly competition

5.) leadership skills

6.) decision-making skills

7.) stress reducers

8.) learned multi-tasking

9.) increased motor skills

CONS

1.) violent games

2.) link to childhood obesity

3.) possible addiction

But one thing I do know for sure is….

Video Games Bring Parents and Kids Together.

So if you are undecided on whether or not to allow your child to play a certain game, or to play games at all… Instead of saying no – Get the game and surprise your child by inviting them to have a gaming session with you! Pop the popcorn, snuggle on the couch and go on the adventure together!

This will not only create incredibly special memories for your child; it will also create an even closer bond between you and your child that you may never have known was possible!

Gaming with your child:

Encourages open communication between you both.

Increases the feeling that you are really a team.

Shows your child that you really care about their interests.

Opens up a hobby that you can do together.

Invites a world of fun into your home!

I am a big fan of children being able to game. The creativity involved in gaming is something that every child should be able to experience.

Everything should be in moderation. Monitor, yet support your child’s gaming.

Your new gaming buddy may become the next big video game developer!

Whatever they want to be or do…support them. They need you.

~Ru

“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children, play is serious learning.” ~ Mr. Rogers

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, IT’S STAFF, AND/OR ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THE SALJACK ENTERPRISES WEBSITES. SALJACK ENTERPRISES MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING, DOES NOT ENDORSE, IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH AND IS NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LINKED WEBSITES OR ANY CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON IT. IF YOU DECIDE TO VISIT ANY LINKED WEBSITE, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK AND IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REVIEW THE TERMS OF USE OF THE RELEVANT LINKED WEBSITE.

Ru (Saljack Enterprises Lets Review Team). Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

46 thoughts on “Ru’s Daily Blog #5: How Early is Too Early To Game?

1. aww rooo you too cute =}

1. kallistoru says:

Well thank you beautiful lovely! So are you!!

2. jdartlover says:

Love your blog. Thank you SJE!

1. jdartlover says:

By the way I’m on Twitter. I saw you there too (:

I saw you too! Thank you so much! 🙂

2. kallistoru says:

YES, Thank you SJE & jdartlover!!

3. Rebi says:

Totally right pros and cons! This is very informative too!

1. kallistoru says:

Thank you very much Rebi!!

4. Rain Santos-Ocampo says:

I agree. It’s never too early to game just as long as as a parent, the games are good for their kids and nothing that will distract them from school. All healthy if balanced with learning and gaming.

So true Rain! 🙂

5. Kenya Bruce says:

I totally agree that gaming can bring parents and their children together! It’s a great way to bond and see what kind of games your children likes. Gaming for kids really brings out their creativity and ability to see the world a new light. It’s a way for them to explore an imaginary world in real life! But of course, monitoring your children’s games is really important! Great read. 🙂

Thank you so much Kenya! I really appreciate your comment so much! ❤ ❤

6. Harsh says:

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy! So true. I’ve never been an outdoorsy guy but video games helped me in those areas that might have been lost to me. I have a great bunch of friends now from different walks of life and a common love for video games. It has been a doorway for many interesting things and experiences. And I completely agree with the Pro’s that you’ve mentioned. I’ve been observant of my own little improvements. Great post… And I’m off to play for a while again.

1. kallistoru says:

Harsh, you are my kind of guy! Thanks so much for your wonderful comment!

7. Antony says:

The games ESRB rating can help parents decide what game to pick for their kids. Game such as GTA or God of War with extensive gore and violence and other games with M (mature) and AO (Adults only) Ratings are best kept from young kids. And if their parents are gamers too it sometimes help as they would understand what kind of games their kids are playing.

Great points Antony! Thank you! 🙂 🙂

8. Javaria rashid says:

yes,definitely everything has its own pros and cons.I totally agree with the article as children should be given time to play but limit it to 2 hours a day so that they know every new thing in this world and dont feel lacking behind their friends.it do boost their imagination,creativity and problem solving skills.

1. kallistoru says:

I couldn’t agree more Javaria! Thank you!!

9. Joe says:

With the new systems out there its so hard to not want to be a gamer! Its so much fun for any age so why not? I think it does definitely link to childhood obesity but just like all things in life, there has to be a balance.

So true, Joe! Thank you!

10. Misziele says:

It will indeed be a great bonding moment between parents and their kids, just don’t forget to monitor the games your kids play and to limit the hours of play time. Also encourage some form of physical exercise even if it’s just for the weekend. It will help the kids’ physical development.

Great points Misziele!!

11. Margherita says:

But you did not answer your question…how early is it really? I know there are interactive games designed for toddlers, are we talking about that? Or when we say “gaming,” does it mean COD, DOTA, Resident Evil, etc.? If we restrict our definition of “gaming” to the ones that we adults play, I think teenagers can play with the adult support. But pre-teens (or tweens) should stay away from it.

Hi Margherita!

Actually I did! 🙂 Here is an excerpt:

“There has been a good amount of research on this topic; and yet there are still too many factors involved to have a one size fits all response.

It is up to each individual parent or guardian to decide what is best for each individual child.”

Thank you for your comment! 🙂

12. Sangeeta says:

I agree Ru! The benefits outweigh the bad effects of gaming. If a parent is concerned about their children spending too much time playing, then that’s where their parenting skills come into play. At the end of the day, it’s all up to them.

1. kallistoru says:

I agree with you too Sangeeta! THank you so much for your comment!

13. Yam says:

My son is 6 years old and he is already an avid gamer. I let him play games only after he does his homework.

1. kallistoru says:

You are a great parent Yam!

14. light Yagami says:

There is no exact age wheither or not to start gaming or not. The only problem though is when gaming takes over ones life. I Mean here, Kids cuts classes just for games and that is a bad thing.

1. kallistoru says:

I know some adults that call off of work to play too! lol You are right Light Yagami! Moderation is key!

15. Cannonball says:

Gaming has its pros and cons. As a future parent i will allow gaming in the house just not too much of it.

Thank you Cannonball! Some is better than none, I say! 🙂

I agree that gaming could bring parents and children together. But to answer your question, “how early is too early to game”, I think there is never an “early” age since different games cater to different age groups. It’s always up to the parents to decide what they think is the best for their child though.

1. kallistoru says:

Absolutely Mau! Thank you for your comment!

17. Sabrina says:

wow this is really helpful 🙂 i should look into gaming with my son!

1. kallistoru says:

I am so glad Sabrina! And yes you should, for sure!!

18. harlou says:

I liked how you laid out your idea about gaming. My mom is very firm on her beliefs that it’s bad. she’s very dogmatic about it and that is the exact same reason why my brother and i lie about whether we played games somewhere else or not.

1. kallistoru says:

I wish you didn’t have to do that harlou! I wish you could openly enjoy your gaming. But when you get of age, you will be able to game anytime you want! And if you decide to have children one day, you can play games with them and make those memories that you always wanted! Thank you so much for commenting, harlou!

19. randy says:

I think parents should weigh the pro’s and con’s of gaming. they could also regulate about what games and for how long their children are going to spend time playing it, say per day or per week.

1. kallistoru says:

Absolutely Randy! Thank you so much for your comment!

20. Celine says:

Control is key. I dunno how many of us here have kids but personally, I think it’s down to mom and dad. Let kids be kids and let them play. But set some rules.

That is so true Celine! Thank you for your comment! 🙂

21. Hazel says:

If you’re concerned that your child is overweight because he/she spends too much time playing video games, I have a suggestion for you. The number of hours he/she spends playing video games in one day will be equivalent to the number of hours he/she will spend playing sports or any physical/active games the following day. What do you guys think?

1. Ralph says:

I think many online games in this day and age should become more physically based. Then kids (and adults) can play and get their exercise on too. I can see it now on one of those late night weight loss infomercials: Game ‘Til You Drop! I’ll bet everyone would love gaming then:)

I love that idea Ralph! Thank you for your comment! 🙂