Game Development and Animations Video Blog

Perks of Choosing Game Design As a Career Option. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Game design is one of the few jobs that is filled with both fun and excitement, but it goes beyond that. The industry is steadily growing while presenting new scenarios for designers to mix-up and with that comes tremendous rewards. Read why being a video game designer is rushing to the top of the most-wanted careers list.

A Casual Yet Enthusiastic Work Environment
The culture of video game designers is made of individuals who are living their highest passion. For this, they are dedicated, passionate, and creative. They can experience the satisfaction of creating something that not only they are passionate about, but also give others enjoy. This makes the game design work environment unusual from any other industry.

A Degree Isn’t Totally Necessary—But it is a Plus
Though most video game designers have a college degree or certification, it isn’t required. Many colleges don’t offer a particular degree in game design, so before entering into this field check out game design schools to get in the right program so that your job is assured. Having a college degree provides hands-on learning that will be helpful when seeking a job.

Use Analytical and Creative Thinking
Those who design games are responsible for imagining many parts of a game, from the themes to the structure and rules. There are some specific areas of work like script writing, level design, gameplay design, and level mechanics, but all sectors use technological knowledge and artistic skills. It is vital to be both analytical and organized when creating video games. These qualities will define how you solve the game related problems.

Playing Games is Part of Your Job
One main thing that leads many youngsters in the field of game design is their love of playing games. It is something that is not only encouraged but required in this area. Designers need to get an early preview of the game they are working on, even if they are only accountable for a portion of it. They can also play other designers’ games before it is released with the sole purpose of analyzing it. The bonuses are much more than receiving a few game coupons.

Competitive Salary
Since it is a part of the larger career field of software development, the annual salary for a software developer is about $97,990. The salary varies based on the specialization in the field and various other factors.

Enter a Dynamic Industry with a Steady Career
The industry of this career is steadily changing. Those that are part of it are regularly learning new things while staying in their field that is well established and provides certainty. Even over the past ten years, video games have developed into a subculture of their own, and it will not be fading anytime soon.

Video game designers share the same passion for creating something out of the box, working in a growing field that provides a way to turn their ideas into reality.

So are you a video game designer? What are the perks of being a video designer apart from these? Let us know in the comments section or tweet us @essjay_ent!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

30 thoughts on “Perks of Choosing Game Design As a Career Option

1. Her Digital says:

Love this post. I have friends who work in the gaming industry and all of them love it and I can’t help but feel a twinge of jealousy when they tell me what they’ve been up to 🙂

2. jun says:

I envy my cousin who is working as a game designer. he already bought his own house after working 3 years in his job. he enjoys it a lot and encouraged me to have the same path as him.

3. cornely says:

My brother wants to become one. I told him there’s always a needed degree and some experience to have an edge against others. Good thing you pointed it out here.

4. Chalita says:

I think you just can’t “choose” to have this job after graduation. You have to start early, like you have to love drawing as a kid. There are so many people out there who wants this job like you do, so make sure you have what it takes!

5. Aditya says:

I think this is the coolest job! Very casual, you do what you like doing, and then get paid to do it! Wow!

6. Maury Cheskes says:

Developing a good rapport with the people involved in your project is very crucial in case you want to work on further projects with a familiar team. You really are living the sweet life designing games all day especially if it’s with a close net of friends.

7. It sounds like they’res a lot of theory and separate factors involved other than coding in the creation of video games. It’s probably important to assign different roles before getting started on the actual development. I think it would make an interesting elective if they offered programming courses in high school, college or university.

I thought a game designer is different from a software developer? This article makes it seem like they are interchangeable. Aside from that, I agree that game designing seems like an interesting and fulfilling career.

9. Anita says:

I wish I knew this before. Should have gotten a career related in game designing since I’m artistic and at the same time a lover of online games. But oh well, I think it’s not yet too late for me to shift career. 🙂

10. Kyo Kusagi says:

Perks of game designing? Your being paid to have fun!!! Does not get better than that.

11. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

Game designing is and can be a career but how do you get in though. I love games

12. Marco says:

Wow what a salary! 100K for drawing/illustrating isn’t bad! Unfortunately I don’t have the talent so I guess I’ll have to look at other options LOL!

13. Martha says:

If you enjoy drawing or animation, and then somebody pressures you to do it on a deadline, you will feel like it’s just any other job. Eventually you will get tired of it. There is a very high risk for burnout if you put a price tag on your creativity.

14. Elaine says:

“They can experience the satisfaction of creating something that not only they are passionate about, but also give others enjoy.” What I think that, no matter what type of designers, their role might raise the consumers’ interest and let customers much enjoyment.

15. Greg says:

It would be so cool to be working as a video game designer. Great pay and you get to play games all day.

16. Maury Cheskes says:

Those all sound like useful tips. I’m sure having role models in the industry can’t hurt either. Inputting creative storylines and new gameplay settings must be an ultimate plus in making games innovative and ground-breaking.

17. Rebi says:

It’s nice if I have started in games. They will pay you just by your passion in games.

18. Earl K. says:

Well I don’t think a career in gaming would be for me. But a couple of friends of mine may just find it interesting, They are better at gaming than me and both need a job for sure lol, so I’ll definitely tell em about it!

19. Sam says:

This is a creative career and some of the most creative people are not formally trained. Just like in music.

20. Fred says:

So is that $97,990 entry-level pay? If so that’s real nice.

21. Mattina Lee says:

Ah man you mean to tell me I have to play games as part of the job. Geesh what a dragggg. …just kidding 😀

22. Munford says:

I LOVE playing video games so hey maybe I should serious think about taking this up as a career! Sure beats sitting behind a desk doing a job I hate:(

23. Harry W. says:

Close to $100K for a software developer career is worth it to me! I can change my zipcode for that amount lol.

24. Vince says:

True, a game design degree isn’t important (not sure if there is one anyway) but taking game design short courses will get you ahead of the pack. It’s kinda competitive nowadays, so it is not enough to just rely on your “artistry” or story-making abilities.

25. Vince says:

Nice article. Although a degree or certification isn’t required. I still think I will get mine. It would be a nice addition to your site as well if you could add a list of most recommended schools that support video game design certification.

26. Kath says:

I think to be in this kind of job you must have a passion for gaming that started early, like playing video games or drawing anime as a kid. If you get into game design for the salary, you’d be disappointed. Passion is a very important element.

27. roisterous says:

Being a video game designer does honestly seem like a rather interesting career path. I wonder what order would result in a better game in a players opinion; should the characters be developed first, or should the plot of the game?

28. Kiara Leslie says:

The main requirement about being success in any job is to love what you are doing. Passion play a big deal indeed.

29. Bart says:

One of the perks being a game designer, being able to put on some funny easter eggs inside the game. I read that some of the designers even went as far as bashing their boss by parodying them inside the game hahaha.

30. Daisy says:

It’s true that game designers don’t need a college degree in game design. I’ve read somewhere that The Sims’ creator Will Wright studied architecture and mechanical engineering while Super Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto has a degree in industrial design.